Heads up - low mileage black edition good price on market

Jonttt

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, Jonttt said:

It’s not marked up as a Black Edition but is priced fairly IMHO based on the low mileage. 

https://www.hillsoflymington.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-boxster-3-4-987-s-2dr-lymington-201907170160285

Black Edition, is that the model OR the state of its presentation??????

14 hours ago, EXY said:

See what you mean, if they insist on doing close up shots, at least clean it properly - that roof shot makes it look horrible when it’s  probably not too bad in the flesh. Looks like the dealer is rushing it onto the market to snag a buyer in the good weather 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, Jonttt said:

Lol, they now have it advertised as a black edition and upped the asking price, its now priced correctly 

Now we know they were able to take a lot less too.... . ! Get those offers in ha ha 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:24 PM, EXY said:

Yip, not very well presented which would put my off. Roof looks in a bad state, sill plates are scuffed to bits; doesn't look a great example despite its low mileage. Plus four owners as well.

Ah, I see quite a clean car for its age so we are looking at things differently....... the roof shows its been sat outside in shade and is easily rectified with some pure soap suds and warm water. So long as there is no actual damage to the fabric a quick cleanup and reproof will probably have it looking like new. The sill plates are pretty normal wear and tear and can be made to look much better relatively easily. You have to be able to see a gem under the prep work. I think it looks a genuine car and the lack of some prep just gives more bargaining tool. As the old saying goes I don’t want a polished turd lol

On 7/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, Jonttt said:

Lol, they now have it advertised as a black edition and upped the asking price, its now priced correctly 

What was it up for originally out of interest? Happy with my 05 987S but no harm looking 😉

54 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Ah, I see quite a clean car for its age so we are looking at things differently....... the roof shows its been sat outside in shade and is easily rectified with some pure soap suds and warm water. So long as there is no actual damage to the fabric a quick cleanup and reproof will probably have it looking like new. The sill plates are pretty normal wear and tear and can be made to look much better relatively easily. You have to be able to see a gem under the prep work. I think it looks a genuine car and the lack of some prep just gives more bargaining tool. As the old saying goes I don’t want a polished turd lol

As long as it’s priced accordingly - which it was, but isn’t now so I would expect a proper valet as a minimum.

buying a dirty car when it’s sub £1000 is just about acceptable - but not in his case - just shows a dealer who doesn’t give a t*ss and would probably reflect on their after sales service too

1 hour ago, Jonttt said:

If it's so easily rectified you have to wonder why it hasn't been done already. 

There really isn't any excuse for any dealer to present a car that hasn't been prepared other than them being lazy barstewards AND if they can't even be bother to clean it (the bit that you can see) then you HAVE to question the level of preparation of the bits you can't see. 

At least that's how it reads to me. 

Agreed that for the mileage and hence price they now have it advertised at they should prep it better, but I would view it as an opportunity and not a reason not to see it ie what will put others off gives the opportunity for a better deal to be done (if it does not sell quickly). That is exactly what happened to mine, it was prepped but the little things that Porsche buyers on particular look for where not done eg cr*p looking wheel nuts, badly worn out wheel Centre’s (despite the wheels being freshly refurbed), worn looking exhaust tips (not corrosion just cosmetic), brake disk hubs “rusty”, etc..... its the little things that add up create opportunities for the canny buyer. I got my car for less than I was prepared to pay as a) it was the right timing b) I could see past what I think put others off c) I was prepared to walk away. The chances are if that car was presented better it would sell for closer to the now asking price, its not so there is a chance for a canny buyer there is an opportunity with some patience. As Always there are no guarantees.

ps the car was originally £2k cheaper from memory which gives an indication of what they paid for it, what they where prepared to sell it for before the cottoned on, probably due to the similar OPC car up for £30k, to what it is worth. I would be looking to get that car for <£25k which would be a good buy, even as presented.

7 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

ps the car was originally £2k cheaper from memory which gives an indication of what they paid for it, what they where prepared to sell it for before the cottoned on, probably due to the similar OPC car up for £30k, to what it is worth. I would be looking to get that car for <£25k which would be a good buy, even as presented.

They possibly "cottoned on" if they saw a spike in hits from this forum via their website metrics software and followed up.

It’s a simple solution - don’t post close up pictures of the cr*p bits - especially as they aren’t really expected in a normal ad - just shows a lack of care and attention from the dealer - which would set alarm bells ringing for me in regard to future service.

having bought and sold 57 cars now and previously had a classic car business, presentation is key to securing a sale. Even cheap stuff presented badly will take longer to sell. Equally a cr*p car presented well will sell for the right price.

When I bought my car, it was presented well but the dealer still did £2,500 of work to get it up to their standard before they would let it leave - new pads and discs, new condensers down to minor things like replacing the cigarette lighter than had been used before. And I got a discount on the price too.

what gets me is the roof is a 10min job to clean - so put a little effort in - too many dealers these days won’t bother until the car is sold and then they will valet it and cover it in silicone spray to make it look shiny for 10 minutes after you pick it up. 

11 hours ago, Jonttt said:

That's one way of looking at it. But I see car that hasn't been loved by its previous owner and garage that can't be bothered to present it properly. What else is it hiding? Maybe nothing, but I wouldn't be paying that price for it and then expect to do work on it to bring it up to my standards. But hey ho were are all different :).  

The point I was trying to make is it may be an opportunity not to pay that price as what is putting you off paying that price will also put others off. In time the dealer may have to reduce the price / accept a much lower offer (especially as we know he had priced it £2k less) ?

They are also cashing in on the convertible summer time premium, especially with the warm weather were currently having.

I also often buy cars needing a bit of cosmetic work and a damn good clean, as they are often cheaper or you can negotiate the price down based on these factors, and I'm happy to spend some time putting it right. I just make sure its basically a good car to start with, drives properly, good service and MoT history etc.

Yep. its like buying a house, you have to see past the the cosmetics that put other buyers off and see the potential or invariably pay top whack for top presentation with little room to negotiate as it appeals to a wider audience - you want that as the seller but not as the buyer 😉

I accept in this case the car is top whack (for none OPC) and seems less than perfectly prepared but my point is that may create an opportunity and would not in itself put me off viewing / buying the car. They are rare enough as it is.

Archived