718 Spyder: Road Review

718as

14 minutes ago, Higgy said:

Personal opinion?? ;)

Interesting to read that a GT4  owner sold it because it was not enough fun for real world speeds on the roads.

A superb track machine no doubt, but that's what it was created for.

Have been looking at GT4s myself but now that summer has finally arrived I couldn't do without the soft top. The 981 Spyder does not appeal; firstly, because I couldn't do with the faff of a manual roof and secondly, it does not come out of the Porsche GT division and so lacks all the desirable suspension etc of the GT4.

Oh nearly forgot it's only 370bhp and my remapped 981s is nearly 350 and that's quick for real world driving. 

However, in light of that review🤔 that puts the 718s on the table. Sports suspension like my 981s and I hear you can get them remapped to well over 400bhp.

Now that might be the better option for me, AND certainly the cheaper option 😀.

@mneil hi, you should test drive a 718S, I can’t compare to the spyder but the one I test drove was a fantastic drive and if you can get past the 4 cylinder issue some have I doubt you’d be disappointed, it’s razor sharp.

I found it interesting that now the Carrera is turbo charged, 911 owners have been moaning about the sound even though there's an increase in power and more usable too.

Hi Gobind tried one earlier in the year and definitely ticks lots of boxes. I wouldn't bother with the gts as I would put far too many miles on it to hold the premium price paid. My 981s has topped 48K now and that engine just gets better and better! 

Ps when's the next Bridgnorth outing?

7 hours ago, toocan said:

When (or if) are they opening the order books to us normal folk?

Never!

you & I will be subject of a used car purchase only at an over inflated price :)

It is my understanding that there is no set manufacturing limit for these cars (to reduce the number of owners buying and selling at a profit) and they will be made into next year. That said I am sure the numbers will be carefully controlled by Porsche (probably the cleverest company at managing their brand through supply and demand). All totally hypothetical as far as I am concerned!

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, ed80 said:

Can anyone identify those roads?

Freom one of the comments under the Youtube video ... Lochan na Lairige https://www.google.com/maps/@56.5221981,-4.2747824,3a,75y,334.24h,84.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSMV1aP1EklvWRRQeGn63lA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Archived