AutoCar comparison 718 v TT v Z4

Jonttt

Nothing surprising or new in the review but what a pity, the 981 was miles ahead of the competition, the 718 has simply melted back into the pack and a little behind now when you bring into the equation the emotion a sports convertible demands ......

The same can’t be said of the Boxster’s engine, which can feel even more lethargic and strangled than the Audi’s. There’s very little low-down urgency present here, and progress from this point feels noticeably stunted. It’s not until you get the crankshaft spinning at speeds well above the 3500rpm mark that it starts to come to life, but even then the accompanying soundtrack is nothing more than a flatulent drone”

While it’s undoubtedly the sweetest to drive of the three, as far as drop-tops are concerned the theatre that comes from actually driving them is just as important. And on that front, the Boxster’s characterless engine simply isn’t up to the task. If it had a bit more punch, a bit more soul – perhaps even a bit more in the way of cylinder count – it’d probably walk this test. As it stands, it just misses out.”

full review.....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/convertible-clash-new-bmw-z4-vs-porsche-boxster-and-audi-tt

something Porsche is addressing with the new GT models and hopefully a 6 cylinder none GT version of the 718.......time will tell.......but I think it’s pretty much a given Porsche “know” 😉

That's a stupid review, why didn't they pick the Boxster S?  The Audi and BMW selections are the fastest variants after all.

I test drove the 718 base and S models back to back this week and there was a significant difference.

Yes but the T sounds “better” and if it was just about performance then the TT would walk it......

ps I know its a sigh .....but are we supposed to ignore the elephant in the room forever ? .......Porsche seem to have accepted that a FI 4 pot does not meet Porsche DNA and reviews like the attached just go along that path ie there are lots of “fast” 4 cylinder FI cars out there, it was the 6 cylinder AND dynamics which make a Porsche a Porsche, you can;t hide physics no matter how hard you try.

I make no apologise, just as I praise cars I like, I criticise those I don’t .............

The 718 is still a good car, as is the Z4 and TT..............you makes your choice if you want / need a newer car.........I don’t have an issue with that........what I hate is what Porsche did when its obvious now they could have gone another route.........

Usual magazine fodder, BMW always comes out on top because it’s a BMW and it’s easy journalism. They miss the fact that the Z4 is pig ugly and for a 2 seat premium roadster, looks are a factor.

pitching 2 autos against a manual isn’t really a direct comparison either

I’m not so sure.....there will be much better alternatives when c3years of newness is also a distant memory, if anything time will have the opposite effect IMHO 

From what I've read, the F6 will only make a comeback on Boxster high level models.  The flat 4 is here to stay, if it doesn't sell then the Boxster will be history - you can thank emission regulations and Porsche for sacrificing the Boxster/Cayman.  I may be in the minority but apart from tickover, I preferred the sound (and urgency) from the 718/718S and it comes on loud from just above 2000rpm and not 5000rpm like the others.  Sure I would have bought one this week if I hadn't picked an 'absolutely no chance of access' savings account to put my money into.  Roll on February!

If you want a superior sound - buy an old 981 (or 987/986). If you want a superior car - buy a 718.  All will make you smile of course.

20 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

, the F6 will only make a comeback on Boxster high level models.  The flat 4 is here to stay,

That's my understanding too.

The 4T cars are to appeal to a different group. £40-£50k as opposed to £75k for the F6 cars.

35 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

From what I've read, the F6 will only make a comeback on Boxster high level models.  The flat 4 is here to stay, if it doesn't sell then the Boxster will be history - you can thank emission regulations and Porsche for sacrificing the Boxster/Cayman.  I may be in the minority but apart from tickover, I preferred the sound (and urgency) from the 718/718S and it comes on loud from just above 2000rpm and not 5000rpm like the others.  Sure I would have bought one this week if I hadn't picked an 'absolutely no chance of access' savings account to put my money into.  Roll on February!

If you want a superior sound - buy an old 981 (or 987/986). If you want a superior car - buy a 718.  All will make you smile of course.

:smile_anim:

"the Boxster T is easily the sharpest-handling car here. In terms of its responsiveness, its balance and its fleet-footedness, it’s simply on another level. The dainty steering wheel paints a far clearer picture of how the tyres are interacting with the road than the other two, and at all times its chassis feels as though it’s more in tune with both your inputs and the Tarmac beneath you. "

/case closed

38 minutes ago, Pezky said:

"the Boxster T is easily the sharpest-handling car here. In terms of its responsiveness, its balance and its fleet-footedness, it’s simply on another level. The dainty steering wheel paints a far clearer picture of how the tyres are interacting with the road than the other two, and at all times its chassis feels as though it’s more in tune with both your inputs and the Tarmac beneath you. "

/case closed

That was the standout point of the review for me. I don't really understand why people get so hung up on the sound of the flat six as if it is the pinnacle audio beauty, when we all know that's a big burbling V8. Don't get me wrong, I like the character of the flat 6, but I can equally see the appeal of the 4T and certainly when part of the 718 package. It'll be interesting to see how the prices of late 981's compare to early 718's once a few start coming off their 3 year PCP deals.

Not driven any of the cars in the test, but when you buy a premium sports car you expect the full package, a great engine is part of that. 

Something which performs well and sounds good is a must in a proper sports car to enhance the overall experience 

I've also got a Golf R and its a good car, but I miss the flat of the Boxster, but accept it in the Golf because, well it's just a fast Golf, in a Porsche I expect something slightly more exotic than a 4 banger. 

Go try a 718 and decide for yourself, not discount a really great car on the opinions of others.  I work in motorsport, the V10 engines in F1 we used to make were joyous to hear, regulations changed and the V6 turbo units that came afterwards were heavily criticised due to the sound but we all got used to them.

The 718 sounds different but think it sounds great in it's own way, really aggressive (even without the sports exhaust).  Emissions regulations have brought us here and will continue to get stricter.  The handling is what I really like about my car and makes me smile though.  I don't mind my next car sounding different if the handling is further improved and the 718 raises the benchmark.

Every time I drive a 981, the steering feels numb compared to mine.  I'd still have one though as they are awesome cars.

Archived