981 and Caterham R500

daz05

A little video I made driving my 981 and a friends R500 Superlight, Part 1 takes us up into the mountains and Part 2 will follow.

The R500 is crazy weighing only 460kg and 230bhp so in excess of 500+bhp/tonne but comes with some compromise as a result.

Which do you prefer?

50 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Have wanted a 7 since I was 18. 

Wonder if I could tolerate it now. 

I bought one when I was 20 - kit car insurance is very cheap

Some nice machinery there at the end with you two.

R500 is epic and a little too compromised for me nowadays, but on it's day on track or on the right road it's pretty much unbeatable if you can get our after 30m mins and tehre are plenty of fuel stops..

Great Boxster roads that I've driven and ridden and really there aren't many better cars for such a trip where the weather can and will throw anything at you - all options covered with luggage and enough performance to keep you thinking..

Ominous start to Part 2.. When's that coming?

great Vid - enjoyed it!

4 hours ago, Patt said:

I bought one when I was 20 - kit car insurance is very cheap

Indeed, but the car itself wasn't, on my student budget!  I had to make do with one of these for four years:

ocs8iYdn.jpg?0828

11 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Some nice machinery there at the end with you two.

R500 is epic and a little too compromised for me nowadays, but on it's day on track or on the right road it's pretty much unbeatable if you can get our after 30m mins and tehre are plenty of fuel stops..

Great Boxster roads that I've driven and ridden and really there aren't many better cars for such a trip where the weather can and will throw anything at you - all options covered with luggage and enough performance to keep you thinking..

Ominous start to Part 2.. When's that coming?

great Vid - enjoyed it!

Yes the trip and therefore part 2 of the video had to be cut short somewhat by the issue but by chance I was invited along to something else afterwards with a good group so have that to edit and issue.

Yup, Phaeton S3 with 1600 XFlow inside.

Daz, there's an odd disconnect between your in-car commentary and his silence - are you able to dub something over it, or subtitle how he's feeling?

Eg with the rain at the start, he could be subtitled "This is one of the disadvantages of being so connected to the elements, but I just prepare with appropriate clothing and roll with it", then when you comment on the seats he could say "Seven seats are [I don't know], they are wonderfully grippy but maybe not for those of a larger BMI - which would ruin the 500 bhp/ton anyway" :D

Bloody jealous about those roads, even if mine are drier :)

11 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Yes the trip and therefore part 2 of the video had to be cut short somewhat by the issue but by chance I was invited along to something else afterwards with a good group so have that to edit and issue.

OK - Post up here when available and keep them coming..

Just as reassurance is the Porsche OK?

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

OK - Post up here when available and keep them coming..

Just as reassurance is the Porsche OK?

Will do. Yes fine now I'm being very dramatic to build suspense. Since fix it covered another 400 miles in one day but I'll cover the issueand prevention in the next one.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Yup, Phaeton S3 with 1600 XFlow inside.

Daz, there's an odd disconnect between your in-car commentary and his silence - are you able to dub something over it, or subtitle how he's feeling?

Eg with the rain at the start, he could be subtitled "This is one of the disadvantages of being so connected to the elements, but I just prepare with appropriate clothing and roll with it", then when you comment on the seats he could say "Seven seats are [I don't know], they are wonderfully grippy but maybe not for those of a larger BMI - which would ruin the 500 bhp/ton anyway" :D

Bloody jealous about those roads, even if mine are drier :)

Yes I agree. Had things of gone to plan the video would have been very different but we had to use what footage we had.

The next trip I did the roads were even better they are getting too popular with cyclists and motor homes now though!

Good stuff Daz.

My current car choice shows clearly which I prefer, but if I was tracking lots the Caterham is exactly the type of thing I would go for, I get a bit perplexed by people spending £100-300k on track focussed supercars when something like this would be far more appropriate, more fun, much much cheaper to buy and run and likely quicker.

11 hours ago, Greenman said:

Good stuff Daz.

My current car choice shows clearly which I prefer, but if I was tracking lots the Caterham is exactly the type of thing I would go for, I get a bit perplexed by people spending £100-300k on track focussed supercars when something like this would be far more appropriate, more fun, much much cheaper to buy and run and likely quicker.

I completely agree..

Fab video. Its hard not to be smitten by the Caterham.

I had a CSR200 (with the 2.3 Cosworth engine putting out 200bhp / 350bhp per tonne) for a long weekend a few years ago. Such a hoot to drive. Difficult to even compare to anything else I’ve owned / driven as it offers something unique in terms of chassis capability and overall driving experience.

I still hanker after one massively. Doesn’t help matters that a dealership has opened up in Edinburgh recently and impossible not to pass on my way to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool follow up @Daz05 - (funny with the exhaust jibe!)  Cool drone exit with the R500 - is that a Mavic Air?  I'm swithering what to get after a recent toy drone purchase has got me hooked...

8 hours ago, Withy said:

Very cool follow up @Daz05 - (funny with the exhaust jibe!)  Cool drone exit with the R500 - is that a Mavic Air?  I'm swithering what to get after a recent toy drone purchase has got me hooked...

I use a Mavic Air in my vids yes but, in this vid we used my friends mk1 Mavic Pro. They are priced similarly, footage is like for like but mine is more compact with some better features. His has better range but it's less portable.

Buy a lightly used one and then if you change your mind you won't lose out. You see lots of them for sale as people buy them and then don't use them.

Nice video again - well done!

A blown exhaust clamp is a good result - easy to diagnose and fix but a shame it affected your trip and our video!

I was walking around the underside of mine last week at the MOT whilst it's up on a ramp.. a worthwhile thing to do every now and then if you have access to or can persuade a local garage to let you in over lunch break..

3 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Nice video again - well done!

A blown exhaust clamp is a good result - easy to diagnose and fix but a shame it affected your trip and our video!

I was walking around the underside of mine last week at the MOT whilst it's up on a ramp.. a worthwhile thing to do every now and then if you have access to or can persuade a local garage to let you in over lunch break..

Thanks, was meant to be so much more but the day was ruined because of that and then the rain. :(

Have to say that I didn't expect it happen on such a pampered  low mileage car ,when I consider that I've owned cars that are used in winter weather with treble the mileage.  Just poor bolts it seems!  They have literally wasted away so something we should all be checking. 

Also a bit stange that my OPC said nothing at the service earlier in the year, when this would have been an up selling opportunity for them.

Archived