What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, Nick_McUK said:

I still need to do this....bought all the kit never did it though :)

You need 24 hrs for the glue to fully cure, so thought it a good time to do whilst the doors can be left open in the garage overnight.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:22 PM, phazed said:

Just removed nearside coffin arm as it was creaking quite badly at very low speed on lock and sometimes while just giving forward slowly.

I noticed that it has been replaced before and is a pattern part. Will try and source an original if at all possible.

in the last couple of weeks, I replaced the gearchange mechanism and the cables to the gearbox. What an improvement!

In the last couple of weeks, I replaced the gearchange mechanism and the cables to the gearbox. What an improvement!

Also changed oil, oil filter, air filter, transaxle oil and a complete coolant change.

Once the Coffin arm has been replaced, that should be everything for now. 

Received the new Lemfordr coffin arm. The new arm is different to the existing pattern part that is there.

With a bit of help from a few posts above and a bit of research it turns out that my front coffin arm  that I removed is actually the wrong one. It has the wrong size, (smaller) bush where the tuning fork bolts onto. Whoever fitted it packed it out with a washer on one side  and clamped up the tuning fork, bending the ends as the tuning fork was too wide for the smaller rear bush. What a misfit bodger, (polite term for w*nk*r) ! New tuning fork on order tomorrow morning so need to wait  until that arrives. 

18 minutes ago, pgk188 said:

Look at floc-king.co.uk it's a little cheaper there.

13 minutes ago, pgk188 said:

Did you go for the black or anthracite kit? Thanks.

18 minutes ago, pgk188 said:

The kit on eBay is from Floc-King,

Black 👍

Edited by detail1

29 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

@detail1 that's another great job you have done, do you just go over the old flock or do you remove it before hand, your user name is perfect for you by the way 😀

I keyed the areas which were bare rubber with some wet and dry. Then just applied the glue to the areas missing the flock, then re-flocked that area.

Got told off many years ago for using my detailing business name, so changed it to this 😄

Edited by detail1

3 hours ago, detail1 said:

You need 24 hrs for the glue to fully cure, so thought it a good time to do whilst the doors can be left open in the garage overnight.

Yeah mine lives in the garage all year round so as you say ideal time!

Cleaned the throttle body as the tick over was a little lumpy, was going to clean the MAF too, but non of my torx bits would fit the screws. Maybe different from the 986 which fitted no problem?

Repainted the heater control switches with the kit from @jnwright71 which I've had for some time but never got round to doing, looks much nicer now.

Replaced the clutch interlock microswitch which I had bypassed last year as it was acting up, it is literally only 2 bolts, a 6mm one holding the bracket and a 3mm screw fixing the switch to the bracket... it almost killed me working in the footwell upside down.

50 minutes ago, Grizzlee said:

Cleaned the throttle body as the tick over was a little lumpy, was going to clean the MAF too, but non of my torx bits would fit the screws. Maybe different from the 986 which fitted no problem?

Repainted the heater control switches with the kit from @jnwright71 which I've had for some time but never got round to doing, looks much nicer now.

Replaced the clutch interlock microswitch which I had bypassed last year as it was acting up, it is literally only 2 bolts, a 6mm one holding the bracket and a 3mm screw fixing the switch to the bracket... it almost killed me working in the footwell upside down.

Show off 😝

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Show off 😝

What all that doesn't tell you is that now I'm covered in cuts and bruises and skinned knuckles too 😁

Edited by Grizzlee

Just now, Grizzlee said:

What all that doesn't tell you is that now I'm covered in cuts and bruises and skinned knuckles too 😁

Ha ha ha same as me.... But I was hacking away the thicket obscuring our view of the land behind our place. 

Just spent a pleasant hour in the sun having a beer and fitting a bluetooth adapter in lieu of the CD changer. A super easy job, particularly because I wasn't interested in wiring it in for phone call use, all I wanted was to be able to stream music off my iphone into the CDR24 head unit.

I just popped the fibre optic connector off the changer in the frunk and connected it to the adapter, velcro-ed the adapter to the side of the changer, ran power straight off the battery (I just ran the wires under the rubber seal around the frunk edge), and it worked first time. 

I need to tidy the wires up and fit an inline fuse (I've disconnected it again until that's fitted) but otherwise jobs a good 'un.

HxGBPcJ.jpg

LKV0CW6.jpg

1xRRclX.jpg

Edited by minimoog

7 hours ago, Grizzlee said:

@jnwright71

Think it's a funky torx bit, couldn't get my MAF off either with the anti tamper bits I had. From looking into it I believe it's a 5 point anti-tamper TS20 or TS25, regular torx bits are 6 points.

1 hour ago, minimoog said:

Looking at that 1st pic again I'm not happy with the power wires going over that sharp edge under the rubber seal, so I'll probably splice it into the cd changer power cable instead. 

There’s a convenient hole there in front of the battery, a little rubber gromit and no splicing required!  

50 minutes ago, detail1 said:

Think it's a funky torx bit, couldn't get my MAF off either with the anti tamper bits I had. From looking into it I believe it's a 5 point anti-tamper TS20 or TS25, regular torx bits are 6 points.

27 minutes ago, sa utah said:

They are actually known as security pentalobe bits.  Search for them on amazon.  That’s where I got my set from. 

Thanks guys, good info :thumbsup_still: