What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

There are a couple of thousand posts in the 'What have you done to your 986 today' so I thought I'd start one for 987's 😀.

IMG_20190826_183521

My car had started making the tell tale noises over rough roads of worn rear suspension arms, just to be on the safe side I ended up ordering front and rear arms. I Had the car lowered by 30mm last year with a set of Eibach springs, these had made the rear camber off due to the suspension not having enough adjustment to dial it out during alignment. This has caused a bit of uneven tyre wear on the rear on the inside edges,  so I also purchased some rear adjustable toe links. 

I've managed to fit everything today and its already for its 4 wheel alignment tomorrow.

IMG_20190831_123853

• Like 2

Changed the gearbox oil. New car to me but it had never been done in its 14 year life so was probably due.

Feels a bit more positive and I am fairly certain its a little less 'clanky' when engaging gears!

Old oil looked pretty clean but at least another job done and shouldn't need repeating for another good few years.

Brakes front and back done, coils, plugs drive belt all sorted. Now to move onto some suspension components - this car is already getting expensive!!

Replaced the air con condenser and dryer although this was on Sunday really and I've never done anything to my car as big as that, it's scary when the bumper and wheel linings are sitting on the floor of the garage and you aren't 100% sure about how you're gonna get them back in!   Took it for an aircon re-gas on Monday and it held charge so I obviously got it right! :bana: Wednesday I sent the gear knob off to be re-trimmed and today I'm about to get it out of the garage to go and pick my wife up from work, think I'll take the long route!

41 minutes ago, 1973mjg said:

it's scary when the bumper and wheel linings are sitting on the floor of the garage and you aren't 100% sure about how you're gonna get them back in!  

Don't say that; got to take my wheel arch linings out some time in the next few days so i  can try to change the arb bushes. 

3 hours ago, red rocket said:

Don't say that; got to take my wheel arch linings out some time in the next few days so i  can try to change the arb bushes. 

Not sure why you need to do that. I changed mine and they were really easy. I think I just took the wheel off each side and jacked up the hub to take the tension out (at the front). One side at a time. It’s a completely different arrangement to a 986 if that’s what you’ve looked at so far as they just come out the bottom. Obviously you may be talking about something else...? 

Great thread. Great idea.

24 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

Not sure why you need to do that. I changed mine and they were really easy. I think I just took the wheel off each side and jacked up the hub to take the tension out (at the front). One side at a time. It’s a completely different arrangement to a 986 if that’s what you’ve looked at so far as they just come out the bottom. Obviously you may be talking about something else...? 

Great thread. Great idea.

Had a look a while back and access didn't seem too good. Figured if I take out the liners I'll be able to see what to do more easily. 

@red rocket You will need to remove the undertray at least as the anti roll bar bushes are held in with bolts that will spin unless the tray is removed. Front wheel arch linings come out in 2 minutes if you need .too,.The usual difficulty is undoing the drop links.

12 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

@red rocket You will need to remove the undertray at least as the anti roll bar bushes are held in with bolts that will spin unless the tray is removed. Front wheel arch linings come out in 2 minutes if you need .too,.The usual difficulty is undoing the drop links.

OK thanks for the tips. 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:34 AM, Roger C said:

Noooooo, why why why...

Because it’s for sale. I sadly just don't get to use it as much as planned and hoped. It’s quite a bit of money tied up in a car I just don't get to enjoy like I’d love to. On top of that, I’ve just incurred a pretty big knee injury so can’t drive for the foreseeable future. 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, Rooose said:

Changed the gearbox oil. New car to me but it had never been done in its 14 year life so was probably due.

Feels a bit more positive and I am fairly certain its a little less 'clanky' when engaging gears!

Old oil looked pretty clean but at least another job done and shouldn't need repeating for another good few years.

Brakes front and back done, coils, plugs drive belt all sorted. Now to move onto some suspension components - this car is already getting expensive!!

I asked Lee from Cotswold Porsche if I needed to change the gearbox oil on my 987 the other day and he said needs to be done after 10 years - so you should be ok for a while 😊