What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

37 minutes ago, jimmy p said:

Italian tune up before mot required!!

I always give my cars a good 'Italian tune' before the test, the box had been sat in my mates garage for a month so deffo needed a blast to blow away the cobwebs etc.

2 hours ago, Takahashi said:

Got it back from the ‘ Porsche approved bodyshop AGAIN’

needless to say it needs painting again. For the third time this year...

They must be approved on paper but not in practice. Like a lot of businesses 

Stripped out the centre console today, a lot easier than I thought. I reckon it's been taken out before judging by the 2 miss matched screws used- so hoping the linkage cables may have been changed some time in its life.

IMG_20191030_184151

Just waiting on my new GT3 shifter to arrive tomorrow. Should tighten things up a little and make for a more positive gear change 😊

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the GT3 shifter, it's on my winter list with replacement cables, gearbox oil change, colour coded console and crest embossed arm rest. Probably like most of us the list never ends, tick a few bits off, then add a few bit on!

Everything I have found on it thus far makes for great reading👍

1 hour ago, Jonttt said:

I’m intrigued why people prefer the GT3 shifter over the SSK ? Is it based on personal experience of using both ?

I didn't want the shift to be any shorter, the gen 2 GT3 shifter is about the same throw as the 987 but with metal bushings.

47 minutes ago, AdyG said:

@detail1, forgot to ask, is the shifter you have ordered from the 997.2 GT3?

Would you mind sharing the part number?

Cheers 

Ady

Yes the Gen 2 version, came in at £320 Inc vat.

997 424 010 91

Thats why I asked, generally people want the shorter throw as that is the biggest change to the gearchange feel. The GT3 part is both more expensive and does not really shorten the throw. I was just worried that people where chosing the GT3 version as it "must be better" when if you actually want a shorter throw it will not give that. The GT3 version is designed for hard track use not to give a shorter "sweeter" throw 😉

Hi,

For me the throw on the 987 is about right so I'm just keen to eradicate the play in the lever. Most reviews that I have read suggest that the GT3 mechanism gives riffle bolt precision , exactly what I'm aiming for.

Fully appreciate its more costly that the SSK and as you say wouldn't want anyone to spend the extra cash and be disappointed with the same / similar throw👍

• Like 1

Gen 2 GT3 shifter all fitted, positive gear selections and feels how it probably was 14 years ago, no difficulty in selecting gears from cold. Linkage cables went up and down a few notches- so that probably helped take up some slack also.

IMG_20191031_143731

IMG_20191031_151201

I'm picking up my new (to me) Boxster on Wednesday, so I'm starting slow and feeling my way around on here at the moment.  Today I bought... a 1m length of heavy duty elastic, ready to sort out the known hood problem that was pointed out to me by an eagle-eyed member within minutes of me posting a photo on here.  Only cost 2 quid from Hobbycraft, in case anyone is interested  :lol:

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I'm picking up my new (to me) Boxster on Wednesday, so I'm starting slow and feeling my way around on here at the moment.  Today I bought... a 1m length of heavy duty elastic, ready to sort out the known hood problem that was pointed out to me by an eagle-eyed member within minutes of me posting a photo on here.  Only cost 2 quid from Hobbycraft, in case anyone is interested  :lol:

You might say I used a bra strap..I couldn’t possibly comment...Heavy duty 😂

• Haha 1

Considered px'ing my 987 for a 2 yo 718 yesterday... not going to happen, at least not yet.

The 718 was a lovely car, different sound (gruffer - all been said before, I'm sure), quicker and certainly more modern and refined in the interior. However, after my 987SE it felt like it lacked a little... soul? Perhaps a better test drive (longer, not p*ssing down) would change that, but there we go. I don't like the cheap gimmick key though. I'm not 12...

If I'd looked at it straight after my previous car (V40 D4) I probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid and would have have handed over my Visa card.

Didn't help that I thought their part ex valuation was derisory.

So, had a little run around afterwards. Nothing too exciting (did I mention the weather?) but a bit of dual carriageway, some country lanes... 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, Davey P said:

Bought some thicker stitching thread and longer needles for the same fix. Who knew Boxster ownership needed a GCSE in home economics 😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Bought some thicker stitching thread and longer needles for the same fix. Who knew Boxster ownership needed a GCSE in home economics 😉

I used a staple gun, much easier and after a year or roof up and down no problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remodot said:

I used a staple gun, much easier and after a year or roof up and down no problems. 

This is the method I planned to use, so it's good to know it works OK  :thumbsup_still:  The elastic I bought was a lot wider than the one shown on the YouTube video I watched, so I will report back when I've done it and let you all know how it goes. 

My trombone snake brush has also arrived, so I'll look forward to using that to clear out the drains ASAP.

Three... days... to wait... :D