What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

I fitted a Conti belt about 12 months ago and don't remember any problems at all. Check your routing (I guess you have!) and seating of all the ridges in pulley groves and check the belt is the right length. I will see if I still have the packaging for mine.

Another thought - maybe warm the belt a little to give it more flexibility.

Edited by entdgc

40 minutes ago, entdgc said:

I fitted a Conti belt about 12 months ago and don't remember any problems at all. Check your routing (I guess you have!) and seating of all the ridges in pulley groves and check the belt is the right length. I will see if I still have the packaging for mine.

Another thought - maybe warm the belt a little to give it more flexibility.

Thanks.Did soak in hot water and helped a little but just not the last few millimetres.The route is ok because back on with the old stretched belt after no problem.

33 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

They are tight. I gave up and had a cuppa before finally getting the bugger on.! 

Yeah I’ve had a few cuppas and given up for now.I bought the dayco belt ages ago and thought the Conti belt might be easier but still no luck.Lots of sweating and swearing.Btw 6pk2115 both belts. 

29 minutes ago, Liberty said:

I’m having thoughts about it. I have the correct belt,could try next time with lube on the belt and pulleys but still not comfortable that it’s a lot of pressure on the water pump bearing.

Don't think I would do that - sounds a bit like oiling brakes to stop them squealing!

2 minutes ago, sa utah said:

I put a conti belt on mine after a water pump swap and it sent on no problem. 

part number 6PK2115V

Thanks.Maybe I have the wrong part number They were cheap.

20 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Don't think I would do that - sounds a bit like oiling brakes to stop them squealing!

Yeah sorry when I say lube.WD40 silicone type.Wouldn't spray it on the brakes.Promise 🤠

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Maybe I have the wrong part number

Don't think so.

What are you using to turn the adjuster arm? I used a 12" long adjustable spanner (from my plumbing kit) to give me plenty of easy leverage.

7 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Don't think so.

What are you using to turn the adjuster arm? I used a 12" long adjustable spanner (from my plumbing kit) to give me plenty of easy leverage.

24mm socket on a ratchet. I’m wondering If the belt is destroying water pumps tbh.There is plenty of movement in the tensioner that I just don’t know why getting a new belt on should be any problem at all.

Have you watched any YouTube vids.? I seem to remember there is a vid of a guy swapping his on a 986 in 30 seconds or something, but I couldn't get mine on using this method. 

Sorry to sound so vague, but try changing what pully you put the belt on last if you haven't already. 

Edited by PaulQ

36 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Have you watched any YouTube vids.? I seem to remember there is a vid of a guy swapping his on a 986 in 30 seconds or something, but I couldn't get mine on using this method. 

Sorry to sound so vague, but try changing what pully you put the belt on last if you haven't already. 

Thanks 🙏 I’ll give that a go maybe in the summer..Oh yeah watched the YouTube many times over.

Bought another arrived this morning 2007 3.4S Tip, 57k mileage one owner and extremely unloved, cheap and sounds very sweet, and is my next project to,undecided, just yet keep or flip. Sat under a tree for god knows how long however already with several hours power washing it's starting to look very good, few issues but I will sort.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Bought another arrived this morning 2007 3.4S Tip, 57k mileage one owner and extremely unloved, cheap and sounds very sweet, and is my next project to,undecided, just yet keep or flip. Sat under a tree for god knows how long however already with several hours power washing it's starting to look very good, few issues but I will sort.

That sounds interesting, keep us updated!

31 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

But essentially it's clean and clean and more cleaning, plus a full service by me and pads and discs all round plus a few other relatively minor issues , will be a good one.

We need before, during and after pics!!

Sorted the issue with CEL light on temp light flashing and temp gauge not budging.

Some numbnuts recently fitted a water pump and not bled correctly, Vacumn bled the system,reset CEL and voila!!, temp gauge reading and no warning lights.......tick another job done in the refurbishment of this very unloved car.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, Liberty said:

Could try getting someone else to do the tensioner while I do the belt but I have no friends...

I kept mine in the airing cupboard for a few days before changing and only took it out once the old belt was off and I was ready to fit - definitely made it a lot more pliable and went on without too much drama

All part of the unloved, new battery fitted, potentially got to the bottom of why the offside window would not fully close, removed BoxsterS badge, and applied a gloss black PORSCHE which i think on Cosmos black looks quite tasteful and sophisticated.

Next up in the air remove all the wheels, undecided yet to replace the claws or refurb, new discs and pads all round, drop the oil and filter, and a thouroghly good inspection, putting some love back into the unloved!!!!

Edited by bally4563
Miss spell