What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Freebie health check at local OPC via PCGB. Tech was a nice guy - no big issues, spotted a leak in an a/c condenser - subject to confirmation, looks like might be a warranty claim since no apparent external damage.  Nice to crawl around under the car - serious "ramp" envy.....

• Like 1

Cleared gravel from the gearbox deflector tray thingy - and then saw the drivers drive shaft was a bit ropey looking so I rubbed it down and gave it a lick of paint

waxed and put the original plates back on ready for putting on AT/PH now it’s getting warmer

also found the selector that goes on the end shaft of the gearbox had some minor play, so removed the pointy bolt, cleaned and then installed again with loctite managed to take out the slack 🙂

On 4/20/2024 at 5:24 AM, Hainesy said:

Oh interesting - I’m just contemplating doing mine. What process / paint did you use? Any tips?

I am in the US and ordered automotivetouchup.com products - not sure they ship internationally (and/or whether aerosol cans can be shipped overseas).  I have many, many tips :-).

1. Used citristrip - worked well (using a paint brush but just apply, don't brush back and forth)

2. Sand, sand and sand...then sand some more (until your tired facial expression looks like a young Gazza when Vinny J ever-so-gently squeeze him)

3. "Practice" with smaller trims

4. I followed automotivetouchup.com product descriptions then more but apply plastic adhesive promoter 3-4 times (I did 2 times and should have done a bit more)

5. Primer 4-5 times and sanding in between - get 600-2000 grit sand papers

6. If you want a REALLY SHINY finish, get the 2K clear coat (vs. a "regular" one which I personally prefer)

If you ping me separately, I can share more thoughts / pictures but additional details here:

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/painting-the-center-console-and-trims.255711/#post-2228616

Edited by Hoster987
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried the Chipex.... its not great 😅 The colour match is spot on, but the 'blending solution' just doesnt work, it pulls the paint out of the chip you've just filled. Resorted to wet sanding each filled chip with 3000 grit and polishing out. Not the end of the world but was £40 for the kit. I'd probably just buy colour matched paint from Porsche next time. 

11 hours ago, Crudeoink said:

I tried the Chipex.... its not great 😅 The colour match is spot on, but the 'blending solution' just doesnt work, it pulls the paint out of the chip you've just filled. Resorted to wet sanding each filled chip with 3000 grit and polishing out. Not the end of the world but was £40 for the kit. I'd probably just buy colour matched paint from Porsche next time. 

Try dr colour chip next time and use some solvent panel wipe to clean the chips before you start. It is the same principle as Chipex but it actually works 😎

• Like 1

Sold it today to a dealer through Motorway. For anyone thinking of doing similar in future it was a relatively smooth process. Unlike wbac, m4ym and carwow, you submit details inclusing any issues plus various photos on the Mway app which you have to download. They then set a reserve price before offering the car to supposedly 5000+ dealers. After one day you receive the best offer (in my case same as reserve!) and accept or not. Positive is it's a simple process, negative is no opportunity to increase value on basis of work done e.g. suspension, upgraded exhaust, recent clutch etc etc. Assuming you accept, the dealer (or in my case an 'inspector' from an independent company) comes out to check and test drive, confirms to buyer who pays 5 minutes later. 

Mway's price was about 25-30% higher than wbac or m4ym and 10% above Carwow. I was worried they would try to chip me because of rear tyre advisory on last MoT, stone chips or whatever but both inspector and dealer were very pragmatic (unlike my4m when I sold wife's car)and paid agreed price. 

So, I saved £440 on tyres, loads of tax (being June 06 mine was in the £700 ish bracket and its replacement is half that) and £3-400 on  crossover pipes I won't have to replace in near future.  And i recouped what i put down as a deposit on a 981 yesterday. So on that basis an absolutely fantastic deal, and that's all SWMBO needs to know! :laugh:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Sold it today to a dealer through Motorway. For anyone thinking of doing similar in future it was a relatively smooth process. Unlike wbac, m4ym and carwow, you submit details inclusing any issues plus various photos on the Mway app which you have to download. They then set a reserve price before offering the car to supposedly 5000+ dealers. After one day you receive the best offer (in my case same as reserve!) and accept or not. Positive is it's a simple process, negative is no opportunity to increase value on basis of work done e.g. suspension, upgraded exhaust, recent clutch etc etc. Assuming you accept, the dealer (or in my case an 'inspector' from an independent company) comes out to check and test drive, confirms to buyer who pays 5 minutes later. 

Mway's price was about 25-30% higher than wbac or m4ym and 10% above Carwow. I was worried they would try to chip me because of rear tyre advisory on last MoT, stone chips or whatever but both inspector and dealer were very pragmatic (unlike my4m when I sold wife's car)and paid agreed price. 

So, I saved £440 on tyres, loads of tax (being June 06 mine was in the £700 ish bracket and its replacement is half that) and £3-400 on  crossover pipes I won't have to replace in near future.  And i recouped what i put down as a deposit on a 981 yesterday. So on that basis an absolutely fantastic deal, and that's all SWMBO needs to know! :laugh:

Just sold the X6 on Motorway too - they put in an auction they appear to hold every week and we got more than the reserve. The dealer did try and chip me when they came to collect, but i held my ground - like you saved a new MOT, probably at least one tyre and a load of hassle

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Just sold the X6 on Motorway too - they put in an auction they appear to hold every week and we got more than the reserve. The dealer did try and chip me when they came to collect, but i held my ground - like you saved a new MOT, probably at least one tyre and a load of hassle

Oh yeah, forgot about the MOT which was due shortly. That's another 50 quid to add to the man maths. Must remember to tell SWMBO! :woot:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, red rocket said:

Oh yeah, forgot about the MOT which was due shortly. That's another 50 quid to add to the man maths. Must remember to tell SWMBO! :woot:

Selective reporting, I love it!

A bit like selective amnesia.

Took it out for a spin down to the shops this morning and realised just how dirty it is (again) - we have builders doing renovations on houses either side of us at the moment and its covered in sawdust and dirt - so that's a job for the weekend :(

Edited by Mattman42

Took off the door panel to replace the faulty window switch, then stripped off the scratched up rubberised coating on the top trim and sprayed it up.  It's early days to see how well it will last but if it goes well then i'll tackle the centre column next.

O7Y3OLG.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Took it out for a spin down to the shops this morning and realised just how dirty it is (again) - we have builders doing renovations on houses either side of us at the moment and its covered in sawdust and dirt - so that's a job for the weekend :(

Might as well drive it some more now it's dirty :)

3 hours ago, Hainesy said:

Took off the door panel to replace the faulty window switch, then stripped off the scratched up rubberised coating on the top trim and sprayed it up.  It's early days to see how well it will last but if it goes well then i'll tackle the centre column next.

O7Y3OLG.jpeg

I need to do this. How do you reattach it to the door panel? I was under the impression that you have to destroy the little clips to separate it in the first place. Other thing I'm not motivated by a broken switch luckily.

Edited by Ninesomething

37 minutes ago, Ninesomething said:

I need to do this. How do you reattach it to the door panel? I was under the impression that you have to destroy the little clips to separate it in the first place. Other thing I'm not motivated by a broken switch luckily.

Haven’t tried putting them back on yet, think they came off ok, just need resetting but bought some spare anyway just in case: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296182393845?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aiUWzZxKTF2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=WAJs85DbQs2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

14 hours ago, Hainesy said:

Haven’t tried putting them back on yet, think they came off ok, just need resetting but bought some spare anyway just in case: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296182393845?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aiUWzZxKTF2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=WAJs85DbQs2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I meant reattaching the hinge panel to the door card. I watched a yt vid and the guy had to break the clips to get the 2 bits apart. Can't remember how he put them back together.

18 hours ago, Hainesy said:

O7Y3OLG.jpeg

I'm interested in doing this too. What's the colour match like vs the original?

3 minutes ago, Ninesomething said:

I meant reattaching the hinge panel to the door card. I watched a yt vid and the guy had to break the clips to get the 2 bits apart. Can't remember how he put them back together.

You mean the bit I sprayed?  It's still attached! The rest of the doorcard is just masked off in the photo.  But yes, it looks like it has plastic welded tabs that fix it in place so left it well alone.

Edited by Hainesy

1 minute ago, Hainesy said:

You mean the bit I sprayed?  It's still attached! The rest of the doorcard is just masked off in the photo.  But yes, it looks like it has plastic welded tabs that fix it in place so left it well alone.

Ah - gotcha. Makes sense....👍

Ordered new front tyres because ever since I changed the wheels and they came with a set of 245s on the front, the tramlining has been very bad. I'm hoping the move back to 235s will sort it out.

£268 for 2 Michelin PS5s is pretty good, I thought....

Also ordered oil and filter for my first oil change (in my ownership, not ever)...

3 hours ago, nelmo said:

Ordered new front tyres because ever since I changed the wheels and they came with a set of 245s on the front, the tramlining has been very bad. I'm hoping the move back to 235s will sort it out.

£268 for 2 Michelin PS5s is pretty good, I thought....

Also ordered oil and filter for my first oil change (in my ownership, not ever)...

Tramlining is probably caused by your existing tyres being worn. Tramlining is rarely noticeable with new tyres but as the tread wears and the tyre blocks are shorter, there is less flex with the tread, (but more grip on a dry road).

That’s why people think that the problem is solved when new tyres are fitted.

Saying that, some tyres are better than others due to tread pattern.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phazed said:

Tramlining is probably caused by your existing tyres being worn. Tramlining is rarely noticeable with new tyres but as the tread wears and the tyre blocks are shorter, there is less flex with the tread, (but more grip on a dry road).

That’s why people think that the problem is solved when new tyres are fitted.

Saying that, some tyres are better than others due to tread pattern.

That sounds very plausible - although when I did have 235s, the tyres were just as worn and it wasn't as bad as it is now. I'm also not used to a pure sports car, I guess - tramlining could be considered 'steering feel' that road testers always go on about 🙂 

22 minutes ago, nelmo said:

That sounds very plausible - although when I did have 235s, the tyres were just as worn and it wasn't as bad as it is now. I'm also not used to a pure sports car, I guess - tramlining could be considered 'steering feel' that road testers always go on about 🙂 

Or just the state of our shyatee roads? Wider tyres just amplify the poor surfaces