What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

7 hours ago, Geordie40 said:

fitted it myself, Ive done about 100 miles and Gert did say it will get better with miles but he didnt say how many miles

It only takes 2-300 miles for the full fat cacphony.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brillomaster said:

quick request from me - please can someone buy these wheels, so i can't! 😂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386907504192

no affiliation or anything, but i'm really thinking these would go nicely on a 987.1, with a 255/35 front tyre and a 285/35 rear tyre... would be great for trackdays...

but i must stop spending money, already planning spacers and lowering springs, i don't need more stuff!

already sold - did you buy them?

5 minutes ago, Crudeoink said:

Had a Chipex set delivered today. There are a few stone chips on the bonnet so will give them a go this weekend and see how it is ! 

I found using this type of thing gave a really good result, otherwise the paint can be a bit blobby when applied with a Touchup. You need to thin the paint a bit and then it’s like drawing rather than painting. Vertical surfaces can be challenging, but just don’t put too much in the reservoir and surface tension is your friend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255181893021?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-FuS0HHvQQi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bm3GNDcwRm6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

12 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I found using this type of thing gave a really good result, otherwise the paint can be a bit blobby when applied with a Touchup. You need to thin the paint a bit and then it’s like drawing rather than painting. Vertical surfaces can be challenging, but just don’t put too much in the reservoir and surface tension is your friend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255181893021?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-FuS0HHvQQi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bm3GNDcwRm6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

+1 for this. If you are brave enough to sand the laquer the results can be invisible.

Plenty of Youtube tutorials available.

51 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Some jobs are best left to the professionals IMHO.... I've got one stone chip at the top of the A-pillar on the driver's side, probably only 2mm long, and I think there's another one on the bonnet, but I wouldn't dream of attempting to retouch them myself. I'll probably get one of those mobile Chips Away type guys to sort them out later this year.

How do you harden the paint? A detailer did mine, but a few months later most of it came off with a jetwash, I was less than impressed.

I'd also hope that the base surface would be properly cleaned also, for those chips which are more than a few weeks old and have probably picked up some dirt.

could be a number of issues Meno -

Didn't clean/key completely

Didn't sand the edges of the chip 

Didn't use a paint with clear already in/clear coat finish.

• Thanks 1

Definitely sounds like poor preparation, I used some Dr. Colourchip on mine over two years ago and still going strong. That stuff is a lot milder than the old touch up/lacquer trick but easier to use and obviously lasts 👍

4 wheel alignment completed.

tEKU4QN.jpg

These numbers will mean something to some of you, but they told me it was ✌️massively out✌️. But it felt fine to me 🤦‍♂️

Back end does feel better now mind.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:37 PM, Patt said:

could be a number of issues Meno -

Didn't clean/key completely

Didn't sand the edges of the chip 

Didn't use a paint with clear already in/clear coat finish.

and "Don't use a jetwash"  :)

On 4/18/2024 at 11:26 AM, Davey P said:

Some jobs are best left to the professionals IMHO.... I've got one stone chip at the top of the A-pillar on the driver's side, probably only 2mm long, and I think there's another one on the bonnet, but I wouldn't dream of attempting to retouch them myself. I'll probably get one of those mobile Chips Away type guys to sort them out later this year.

I thought that, until i got a quote from Chips Away to do a small paint repair on the SLK i head - a deep scratch no more than 2inches long and he quoted £580 - and wondered why i said no

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

I thought that, until i got a quote from Chips Away to do a small paint repair on the SLK i head - a deep scratch no more than 2inches long and he quoted £580 - and wondered why i said no

Hmmm, I might need to rethink my previous statement.... 😮

3 hours ago, eob said:

4 wheel alignment completed.

tEKU4QN.jpg

These numbers will mean something to some of you, but they told me it was ✌️massively out✌️. But it felt fine to me 🤦‍♂️

Back end does feel better now mind.

The rear was 'massively out'.  And you won't be scrubbing your front and rear tyres anymore.

• Like 1

Restored my headlights.

They were fairly bad and I am kicking myself for not doing them earlier as it was so easy to make a huge positive difference.

The whole process is aided by the fact that removing the headlights is so easy you don't need to worry about taping round them, you just pull them out.

j0TjE8u.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hoster987 said:

Painted my center console and trims.....a painful experience 🙂

Center Console.jpg

Oh interesting - I’m just contemplating doing mine. What process / paint did you use? Any tips?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

body coloured centre console improves the look massively

52751278683_eb03227e0e_o_d.jpg

Not showing off another of you factory options???