What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 3/14/2024 at 8:39 AM, Cocky said:

* Gets CEL * 

Read the code, Cylinder 3 misfire whilst the car sounded a bit poor. 

Goes to check and despite me doing the job,  LEE had forgotten to plug that coil pack in 😂 

But at least i didnt drive through the ford lol

They are worse than mine.!

I repaired mine with some high temperature epoxy and they seem fine.

I have a new set on the bench waiting for a lazy morning…

Urgh, you made me check the service records for my car - back in 2011, the OPC noted 'all coil packs showing cracks' and can I see any invoice to show they were replaced? Nope...although the spark plugs were changed only 6k miles ago, so you would have thought they would have said something then if they were a problem?

I need to do some work on the car, just to show willing, so this sounds like a relatively simple easy job I should have a go at.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:43 PM, nelmo said:

Urgh, you made me check the service records for my car - back in 2011, the OPC noted 'all coil packs showing cracks' and can I see any invoice to show they were replaced? Nope...although the spark plugs were changed only 6k miles ago, so you would have thought they would have said something then if they were a problem?

I need to do some work on the car, just to show willing, so this sounds like a relatively simple easy job I should have a go at.

BERU ZS178 is the part to look for.  They are the part BERU supply to Porsche as 997 602 104 02, but without the Porsche tax.  Set of 6 from Autodoc on a good discount day is about £100.  You'll need a E8 female torx socket.  Torque setting for the bolts is only 10Nm.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Put the rear up on jackstands and whipped the rear wheels off.

Inside edge has worn down so going to replace rears and get all four wheels refurbished due to the laquer hazing.

x3FovXF.jpg

VyKvK8T.jpg

E2m2Cnu.jpg

Can get a good price for Michelin PS2 on Camskill, but I bought PS4 for the front last year and I don't know if my OCD would allow me to have different types front and rear.

Will also need to organise a 4 wheel alignment.

Also wired up the battery with an SAE connection for easy charging next winter.

koVmAxz.jpg

Edited by eob

25 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Sod the lacquer, that needs alignment. 

That sort of wear is caused by camber, not alignment. I'd assume, the Boxster being a sports car, that the rears would have some negative camber, so that wear is probably normal, no?

2 hours ago, nelmo said:

That sort of wear is caused by camber, not alignment. I'd assume, the Boxster being a sports car, that the rears would have some negative camber, so that wear is probably normal, no?

Camber tends to be a continuous gradient across the tyre (Unless it is way, way out)  That looks as if it is toed out.  And that's when you find (whether camber or toe) that the rear eccentric bolts for camber and toe adjustment are seized in their alloy bushes and you need new coffin arms and toe links...

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Camber tends to be a continuous gradient across the tyre (Unless it is way, way out)  That looks as if it is toed out.  And that's when you find (whether camber or toe) that the rear eccentric bolts for camber and toe adjustment are seized in their alloy bushes and you need new coffin arms and toe links...

Indi checked all my bolts were free at the service the other week. They dont do 4 wheel alignment but recommended a place in my home town which is handy.

Still a couple of weeks until the MOT so I'll get it all sorted before then.

56 minutes ago, eob said:

Indi checked all my bolts were free at the service the other week. They dont do 4 wheel alignment but recommended a place in my home town which is handy.

Still a couple of weeks until the MOT so I'll get it all sorted before then.

For alignment Kenny Brown in Hillington is the GOAT.  Automek in EK are pretty good too

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MickH said:

For alignment Kenny Brown in Hillington is the GOAT.  Automek in EK are pretty good too

Cheers Mick, it was Automek that Morrisons's recommended.

weather forecast was no rain today... gave the car its annual springtime clay bar, then then  applied the Poor Boys black hole.
As I started to use the Nattys wax and of course it starts to rain! 😡

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

weather forecast was no rain today... gave the car its annual springtime clay bar, then then  applied the Poor Boys black hole.
As I started to use the Nattys wax and of course it starts to rain! 😡

perhaps if you were working on a Monday and not skiving, it wouldn't have been an issue 😛

Just now, Mattman42 said:

perhaps if you were working on a Monday and not skiving, it wouldn't have been an issue 😛

I am off work on Annual leave this week, sorry I forgot to inform you... oh wait, I am not @John K, go feck yourself 🙃

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, eob said:

Cheers Mick, it was Automek that Morrisons's recommended.

Andrew at Automek did mine and handles on rails.  You are in good hands.

If you ever have any issues with George Morrison, as I know a few people that have.  APR in Newton Mearns are excellent.  Alan knows his way around all Porsche's (Was previously Drew Paterson until he retired and Alan took it over)  He normally has one big restoration in.  Which is always awesome to have a peek at.

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

I am off work on Annual leave this week, sorry I forgot to inform you... oh wait, I am not @John K, go feck yourself 🙃

Well there is no need for that attitude, I will be calling in HR and don't think your next quarterly review is going to go well 😛

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MickH said:

Andrew at Automek did mine and handles on rails.  You are in good hands.

If you ever have any issues with George Morrison, as I know a few people that have.  APR in Newton Mearns are excellent.  Alan knows his way around all Porsche's (Was previously Drew Paterson until he retired and Alan took it over)  He normally has one big restoration in.  Which is always awesome to have a peek at.

Never had an issue with Geo, but he had an accident in the workshop recently and spent some time in hospital. He's taken this as a sign to retire. I'm hoping he keeps the business going, but I'll bear APR in mind. 👍

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Wait, you have Geo doing your geo?

Nominative determinism strikes again.

No Geo doesn't do geo. So Geo recommended somewhere else to do geo. But that guy is not called Geo, he's Andy.  

Hope that clears things up

Edited by MickH
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, eob said:

Never had an issue with Geo, but he had an accident in the workshop recently and spent some time in hospital. He's taken this as a sign to retire. I'm hoping he keeps the business going, but I'll bear APR in mind. 👍

I've had mine in at Automek and they seem to do a good job. Think I paid £135. George Morrisons on the other hand is a robbing git! Went to him once for a service and vowed never to go back. Apart from being a robbing git, he's a bullshyateter. I stood in his garage arguing with him till he walked away from me. I am a mechanical engineer by trade so I won't have the wool pulled over my eyes. I can feel I'm starting to rant now. I'll leave it at that.

• Haha 1