What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 11/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, Liberty said:

I’m having thoughts about it. I have the correct belt,could try next time with lube on the belt and pulleys but still not comfortable that it’s a lot of pressure on the water pump bearing.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:33 PM, Boxob said:

You could try washing up liquid. Then wash off when done.

15 hours ago, Rooose said:

I kept mine in the airing cupboard for a few days before changing and only took it out once the old belt was off and I was ready to fit - definitely made it a lot more pliable and went on without too much drama

Or drop it in a pot of hot water for 15 minutes beforehand.

4 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

had one of the bottom ball joints replaced today - apparently it was pretty much seized and many many swear words were used in its replacement according to my mechanic! Glad i didn't try that myself then! :)

Which one?

On 11/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, EVO Chris said:

Fitted the stripe to the bonnet, looks good.

I also spent the weekend checking the brake callipers and assemblies, cleaning under the arches and a general tidying up underneath until all shiny. Then machines polished the body with G3 and NXT Meguiars all over....I had a fun weekend! 

stripe1stripe2stripe3

Lovely looking car 👍 where did you get the Porsche side decals? After some myself 

Winter health check at local OPC.  

Exhaust bolts rusty. Condensers showing leaks and the smallest trace of play in near side front lower ball joint.  All given the “ don’t worry about it but keep an eye “ level of significance. 

Had a rewarding “ enthusiastic “ drive home. 

happy pork Saturday 

2 hours ago, Deano37 said:

@1973mjg Looks great!

Who did you get to re-trim?

Thinking of getting mine done instead of paying the extortionate price of a new wheel and round airbag 😲

Royal Steering Wheels, they're in Aylesbury and have been used by a few people on the forum before.  I dropped them a mail with what I wanted, they came back with a few suggestions, I picked one, paid a deposit and then 2 weeks later they fitted it.   I went for the "with fitting" option so they provided the donor wheel for re-trimming and after a soggy drive over there they swapped them over in 10 minutes!  Very impressed and will probably get the daily driver done in the New Year.

45 minutes ago, 1973mjg said:

Royal Steering Wheels, they're in Aylesbury and have been used by a few people on the forum before.  I dropped them a mail with what I wanted, they came back with a few suggestions, I picked one, paid a deposit and then 2 weeks later they fitted it.   I went for the "with fitting" option so they provided the donor wheel for re-trimming and after a soggy drive over there they swapped them over in 10 minutes!  Very impressed and will probably get the daily driver done in the New Year.

Great, thanks for the info. Will drop them some details and see what they have to offer.

I've seen the same kind of thing on Ebay by a German company if i remember correctly, but not heard any feedback from people who have used them.

Could i be cheeky and ask what are the options you went for because i want to have the same, only difference is mine is a multi function wheel?

20 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

Great, thanks for the info. Will drop them some details and see what they have to offer.

I've seen the same kind of thing on Ebay by a German company if i remember correctly, but not heard any feedback from people who have used them.

Could i be cheeky and ask what are the options you went for because i want to have the same, only difference is mine is a multi function wheel?

This is what my order looked like in the end.
Boxter 987.1 2005 (Triangular airbag, Black) - Slightly thicker, thumb grips added, Perforated leather on sides, SMOOTH Black leather top/bottom, Grey 415 Stitching

I was asked about whether it was a multi-function wheel, which mine isn't, I suspect that'll add to the time to fit but he was very good and knew what he was doing, didn't even disconnect the battery, he said there was no need to on the 987.1, straight in there and detached the airbag!

24 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

@1973mjg  you open to divulging prices for your retrim😀

I'm not sure how they compare to other companies but I'd read the reviews and they did a quality job.

£185 for the wheel and £20 for the fitting, I won't include the petrol for the drive over there as that was good fun!

• Like 1

Rear pads and discs done and two minnging exhaust clamps cut off and removed awaiting the new ones to arrive. Still to sort is the drivers window that won't fully close, still leaning towards the switch module itself, as it seems to take a long time to respond to any intervention?

Noticed a warning message on the display this afternoon to say right hand dipped beam bulb is kaputt.  Ironically, I was on the way to my mate's to give back his Halfords discount card, but I'm keeping it for a bit longer now :lol:  I bought two bulbs, just bog standard H7's.  Not much point just changing one IMHO, I want to make sure they both match in brightness and colour (OCD? Me? Of course not!).  While I was in store I treated myself to an Autogleam roof care kit, with separate cleaner and re-proofer sprays, as the roof isn't beading up at all when it's wet.

Next stop YouTube, where there's almost certainly a video to show bulb replacement on the Boxster :P

Edited by Davey P
spelling mistake

Nothing found on YouTube, so it's obviously too much of a faff on the 987 for anyone to bother making a video :lol:

A good friend of mine is a BMW Master Technician, so I'll probably end up leaving it to him.  The fixing method for the headlamps looks very similar to my previous car (VW Beetle) and after I'd changed the bulbs on that I had loads of problems, so it's best left to someone who knows what they're doing (Not me) :blush: