What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

14 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Ended up pulling the hub off got some heat in and wailed!!it backwards and forwards, even the last 20 mm fought me !!

At least you got it out. That's the main thing. 

On the subject of copaslip, I grease pretty much everything. I use a combination of Sealey aluminium grease for suspension/brakes and ACF50 grease for fittings and general greasing. 

I even grease brake pipes/lines and bleed screws.

I have come across some totally seized bleed screws previously where I've had to resort to MAP gas to heat it and then hit it with freezer spray to shock and break the corrosion. 

I've been lucky on at leat 12 I've replaced up until now , slight persuasion they have shifted, this was naughty! and I can expect the next three to be as difficult, come the nearside front if that proves to be reluctant, I won't mess about prattling around I will just pull the hub.At least on the floor you can apply a lot more brute force.

46 minutes ago, AdyG said:

@EVO Chris sounds good, who are you using to re-webbing the seatbelts for you?

It a company I found on ebay called JW Autos, £35 for each belt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/jasongtr-spares?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

3 day turnaround, Jason has been very communicative with the service so felt comfortable sending him my belts. Sent them out today and hopefully will be back by Monday, I will let you know how it goes, with pictures of course.

Edited by EVO Chris

4 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

I locked it.

Hadn't moved from the driveway since Sunday afternoon. Went out last night to go to the supermarket, pressed the plip &.... "Oh, that just locked." 

Hmmm. Obvious note to self.

One of the annoyances of the Porsche is there is one remote button for both lock and unlock and I can never how many flashes is locked.

Took it for an MOT. (OK, I lie - that was yesterday not today). 

It passed. Satisfyingly low emissions, suggesting that the engine is in good fettle despite 100,000 miles on the clock. 

And an advisory for play in the steering tie rods. Having said that, the tester wasn't entirely clear whether the play was in the tie rods or the steering rack. Which is most likely? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, entdgc said:

One of the annoyances of the Porsche is there is one remote button for both lock and unlock and I can never how many flashes is locked.

If it helps I remember: 22lock (two to lock). 

It's been posted on here that on the 987 (maybe other models too) it's easy to inadvertently operate the key remote whilst in the pocket and walking away from the car.

8 minutes ago, Boxob said:

If it helps I remember: 22lock (two to lock). 

It's been posted on here that on the 987 (maybe other models too) it's easy to inadvertently operate the key remote whilst in the pocket and walking away from the car.

Tell me about it!! I switched out the buttons for some that take more pressure..

Tearing this pig apart to put lowering springs on (10 mm)  every thing I touch is seized solid, now out comes reciprocating saw . and I parts I didn't exactly  want to replace ..... I do now!!!, top tip here low mileage with at least 10 years on the clock, is not a good idea , go for higher mileage, and hopefully somebody else has had the grief!!

10 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Tearing this pig apart to put lowering springs on (10 mm)  every thing I touch is seized solid, now out comes reciprocating saw . and I parts I didn't exactly  want to replace ..... I do now!!!, top tip here low mileage with at least 10 years on the clock, is not a good idea , go for higher mileage, and hopefully somebody else has had the grief!!

or be lazy like me and pay someone else to do it - then you never get to experience the pain.

Good luck - the final outcome will be worth all the pain and frustration and you'll soon forget it once the sun comes back out

22 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

or be lazy like me and pay someone else to do it - then you never get to experience the pain.

Good luck - the final outcome will be worth all the pain and frustration and you'll soon forget it once the sun comes back out

Trust me I can’t wait for this to be a long ago dream, at present it’s hammer horror!!

• Haha 1

Took a potential owner out in mine to let him see what the 987 is like as he's planning a driving holiday & wants to buy one. If anyone is selling a 2.7 @ <£8k he may be interested as he's definitely on the hunt for one now.

& painted the hood in Fabsil Gold. Hopefully it dries before teh dew comes down :s

Working on it again, nearly used a Delia xmas pudding recipe, with the finishing touch is  add brandy and light!! This is an absolute pig... but it will be bob on when I’ve finished.... if I live long enough!!