What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

15 minutes ago, TubbyNorman said:

Moaned aloud to myself that the hood closes outside the hood rails AGAIN, meaning another call to the ragtop man !  Seems its a yearly problem for me, but as the top is up and down all the time I can't really complain at stretched elastic.

Easy enough to fix yourself

Stripped down near side rear for lowering replacement , had to cut off drop link and apply some cunning ruses to get it out.... But out it is. Unlike the front end everything else finally moved and came out...... But that was enough for one morning !!!!,

11 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Stripped down near side rear for lowering replacement , had to cut off drop link and apply some cunning ruses to get it out.... But out it is. Unlike the front end everything else finally moved and came out...... But that was enough for one morning !!!!,

Keep us updated on your progress, and any tips of the strip and build with piccy's if poss, I am going to put 10mm lower springs into mine at some point in the next few months. Cheers

As mentioned in the 986 section, had an hour after work , carried on from Sunday, nearside Spring replaced and loosly assembled, awaiting for a drop link to arrive , square it off and do the other side, ....that's the beast then lowered, and venture onto something else, to sort out!!! But it will be right ,,,,.  Eventually!!

Had a nice early drive in the 987 this morning, left the house at 4:30am to go to Stansted airport. Arrived really early for my flight to Vienna, but I always allow a few extra hours in case of any unforeseen problems, this time from any left over bits of storm Ciara (Stansted was a lot busier than normal thanks to all the cancelled flights yesterday).  I travel to Austria once a month for work, and will be here until Friday.  I've got the joys of a lovely bright orange Fiat Panda hire car to drive around in.  And by "drive around", I mean drive 40 mins from the airport to the hotel, and then back again at the end of the week, with absolutely no driving planned in between (unless I can find a paper bag to go over my head, of course...) :lol:

Oh, and a sneaky little trick, I deliberately switched the Panda to "ECO" mode so it feels extra sluggish, then when I get back in the Boxster it will feel like a bloody Millenium Falcon! :thumbsup_anim:

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Had a nice early drive in the 987 this morning, left the house at 4:30am to go to Stansted airport. Arrived really early for my flight to Vienna, but I always allow a few extra hours in case of any unforeseen problems, this time from any left over bits of storm Ciara (Stansted was a lot busier than normal thanks to all the cancelled flights yesterday).  I travel to Austria once a month for work, and will be here until Friday.  I've got the joys of a lovely bright orange Fiat Panda hire car to drive around in.  And by "drive around", I mean drive 40 mins from the airport to the hotel, and then back again at the end of the week, with absolutely no driving planned in between (unless I can find a paper bag to go over my head, of course...) :lol:

Oh, and a sneaky little trick, I deliberately switched the Panda to "ECO" mode so it feels extra sluggish, then when I get back in the Boxster it will feel like a bloody Millenium Falcon! :thumbsup_anim:

lol Dave, need pictures of you in Orange Panda, hope you packed your tight leather pants. I can top that, hire car waiting at Tenerife one year was a bright pink mk1 panda, I opened the door and it was the same inside! Tried to shut the door and it kept coming open....in the end I walked away and 'upgraded' to a Pug 206. Wish I had a box of matches in my pocket that day...….

2 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

lol Dave, need pictures of you in Orange Panda, hope you packed your tight leather pants.

No problem mate, I can't promise you tight leather pants, but I'll get a pic or two this week... :lol:

Top tip, when removing rear suspension, for Spring replacement , dot punch the position before hand, I marked up with white paint, and with the liberal amounts of WD washed it off!!!, so now got to take some measurements off the untouched side to get it close for driving to the alignment place at some point.

14 hours ago, Davey P said:

No problem mate, I can't promise you tight leather pants, but I'll get a pic or two this week... :lol:

The photos were to bribe you with later lol.

Nice picture, car is far to clean for a rental, get off road asap!!! 

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Top tip, when removing rear suspension, for Spring replacement , dot punch the position before hand, I marked up with white paint, and with the liberal amounts of WD washed it off!!!, so now got to take some measurements off the untouched side to get it close for driving to the alignment place at some point.

Good tip, thanks. quick question, do you have to drop the drive shaft to remove the rear strut?

9 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

The photos were to bribe you with later lol.

Nice picture, car is far to clean for a rental, get off road asap!!! 

If it's bribery (or blackmail) you're after, you can use this one:

DSC00128

It's an old pic, and my hair is a lot shorter now :lol:

As far as the hire car goes, I'll be driving it as little as possible, so just a 40 min drive back to Vienna airport on Friday afternoon.  The rest of the week I can walk into work as it's only across the road from my hotel, thank God :thumbsup_anim:

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

If it's bribery (or blackmail) you're after, you can use this one:

DSC00128

It's an old pic, and my hair is a lot shorter now :lol:

As far as the hire car goes, I'll be driving it as little as possible, so just a 40 min drive back to Vienna airport on Friday afternoon.  The rest of the week I can walk into work as it's only across the road from my hotel, thank God :thumbsup_anim:

Very fetching Dave. Its a HIRE car, get it off road, it should go back with bald tyres and worn brake pads. Little tip for you, NEVER buy an ex hire car that's been near me....just sayin.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Very fetching Dave. Its a HIRE car, get it off road, it should go back with bald tyres and worn brake pads.

The cars I hire over here (and anywhere else for that matter) have an easy life while in my possession.  I'm never in a rush to get anywhere, so almost everyone on the road is going faster than me.  The Austrians generally drive like complete bell ends, regardless of road and weather conditions, so not worth risking my neck just getting from the airport to the hotel and back again.  The one exception was when I got a free upgrade to a Fiat 500 Abarth last year - Now THAT is a car that begs to be driven hard... so I did! :lol:

Odd - I quite like the little Fiat Panda and have had several as hire cars while on hols. I almost thought about buying a 100HP version of one once. 

The Fiat 500 is the same car but in a flirtier frock. (And the Ford Ka is the same again but with a little less Italian flair!)

6 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

Good tip, thanks. quick question, do you have to drop the drive shaft to remove the rear strut?

Yes it’s easy to split, rear end up handbrake on will allow to undo three , handbrake off rotate and repeat, quite tight to undo as they are secured with thread lock,Allen key and a good bar once cracked fly out, much easier than removing the hub but.

Picked mine up from the man, passenger window now all working.

wallet £325 lighter (£117 for a new regulator, £150 for labour and the vodka and tonic) sure I could have given it a go myself, but no garage or covering, meant I really could be arsed.

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Nice colour!

but could use some extra horses?

In reality, the colour is horrible, and not as bright orange as it looks in the photo :cry:

I'll be heading for Vienna airport tomorrow afternoon, and depending on the traffic (normally horrendous on Fridays) I might treat myself and switch the ECO mode off :lol: