What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Also had some topless driving todau

And also found that I should stop being lazy when cleaning the car - rather than clean the seats with Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner, I should go to the shed for the leather cleaner. 

Seats are now so slippery, I get in one side and fall out the other!  More slippery than Chevy Chase’s sled in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation!

Noticed a fair amount of water in my 3rd brake light - removed, no obvious path for it to get in, but enough in there to be worth draining it - dremel'ed a small hole in the back of it - emptied out and now in the airing cupboard for a day or so - will plug hole and run around the seam with a glue gun and then refit and go again. Light is working fine for now at least so worth trying a fix before just replacing.

Got in the engine bay and unprated the filter to a BMC, removed the snorkel plate and fitted a mesh cover, nice to finally take a peak at the engine. Also Polished up a set of standard exhausts ready to fit when my sports manifolds arrive next week ( Christy pressy for myself). Will take some pictures during the process of fitting.

19856874-B838-415A-9B0D-F101D6EAD3006741EDE8-605A-4167-859C-500A50F13C78653A08EE-3B91-4D2E-99F6-18A273DC6510

Edited by EVO Chris

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Noticed a fair amount of water in my 3rd brake light - removed, no obvious path for it to get in, but enough in there to be worth draining it - dremel'ed a small hole in the back of it - emptied out and now in the airing cupboard for a day or so - will plug hole and run around the seam with a glue gun and then refit and go again. Light is working fine for now at least so worth trying a fix before just replacing.

Mine had this, the lenses itself had a small crack in it which was difficult to spot initially. Ended up with a new one from OPC at £68 so not stupidly expensive 

43 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Mine had this, the lenses itself had a small crack in it which was difficult to spot initially. Ended up with a new one from OPC at £68 so not stupidly expensive 

Thinking this could be the same and as you say not a killer if I have to replace.  Worth a try to see if I can spot / seal something but suspect it’s a new unit. 

I have nearly completed the polishing of the exhausts and sports cats manifold change. The polishing is such a ball ache but well worth the results.... I will put up a new thread with the complete process including pictures at some point next week. Well worth doing.

• Like 1

Took the engine cover off today and saw the engine for the first time in 12 months ownership. 
Taking it off was a lot easier than I thought. 
Had a peak at the air filter as well and it seems reasonably clean, however the recent BMC and KN threads have me thinking.....

Re the engine, it was pretty filthy. What’s the best solution to cleaning it, or should I just leave it as is?

5 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

Re the engine, it was pretty filthy. What’s the best solution to cleaning it, or should I just leave it as is?

Up to you. I give mine a quick clean down when I'm in there, but not done it for a year or two now. 

11 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

with what? 

The first time I used soapy water as was pretty filthy, but then just a wipe down with a cloth and some Aerospace 303 protectant as I had this to hand, but you can use what ever you fancy. 

This will give you an idea :

Edited by PaulQ
  • Thanks 1

Tried fitting the 10 mm lowering springs, drop link totally seized , even welded the nut and hit it with the impact gun, not a jot, all ground off now ready for drilling out😢😢and pound to a pinch of snot the other side will be the same!!!

Even the the top strut nuts were an absolute bastard!!  But they are undone now in readiness

If you've got access to air, use an bodyshop impact chisel to batter it out from the side the nut is fitted. It impacts at a much higher frequency than an impact gun and should free it. 

Any time I've replaced these, I've always greased them with aluminium grease and never then had a problem removing them. 

Trust me all the ones I've worked on all go back with copaslip, that's everything that comes apart, not necessarily for me the next owners down the line may appreciate.

As said up until now I have been fortunate but this one is totally seized solid, trying to inject some heat in via welding has not helped, and don't have access to a high impact air driven, so is down to a drill bit......ar*e!!

After spending Christmas and New Year away, got back and had a good drive from Lancashire to Yorkshire and back... Nothing too spirited, but the cobwebs have gone.

Now back to thinking about upgrading to a 981/718 PDK! On the one hand the 987 manual is absolutely fine, but on the other I always crave newer things...

17 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Trust me all the ones I've worked on all go back with copaslip, that's everything that comes apart, not necessarily for me the next owners down the line may appreciate.

As said up until now I have been fortunate but this one is totally seized solid, trying to inject some heat in via welding has not helped, and don't have access to a high impact air driven, so is down to a drill bit......ar*e!!

Ended up pulling the hub off got some heat in and wailed!!it backwards and forwards, even the last 20 mm fought me !!