What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:40 PM, bally4563 said:

Tried fitting the 10 mm lowering springs, drop link totally seized , even welded the nut and hit it with the impact gun, not a jot, all ground off now ready for drilling out😢😢and pound to a pinch of snot the other side will be the same!!!

Even the the top strut nuts were an absolute bastard!!  But they are undone now in readiness

Did my drop links a week ago, they were in their tight but got them out without too much bother!

droplinks.jpg

Continuing with the seat belt web replacement, I received them back yesterday and fitted them last night, some pictures showing the process of fitment...…………….

belt boltbelt bottombelt topscrew in coverbelt pic

Easy |job, just remember to disconnect your battery before the replacement otherwise its a visit to Porsche.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

Those belts look really nice. 
Can I ask cost?

Who did them. And how long it took them?

Cost £76 all in (£35 each belt then return shipping) you need to send them off and pay shipping using your own Wonga. The company was from ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Seat-belts-Any-car-Many-colours-send-me-your-belts-to-be-rewebbed/274127608562?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

His name is Jason, seams a good guy and communicates well. The whole process took 6 days from sending off. Great results.

• Thanks 1

Prefix this by not casting any doubt in the quality of work done by the guy who does the webbing replacement. This is a personal feeling based on nothing other than gut reaction and  I have no reference and no issue and no evidence ..... but  

I am a bit concerned about having something as “serious” as a seatbelt stripped and rebuilt with replacement materials.  Especially by an anonymous guy on eBay. Am I alone in that and being paranoid ?  

38 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Prefix this by not casting any doubt in the quality of work done by the guy who does the webbing replacement. This is a personal feeling based on nothing other than gut reaction and  I have no reference and no issue and no evidence ..... but  

I am a bit concerned about having something as “serious” as a seatbelt stripped and rebuilt with replacement materials.  Especially by an anonymous guy on eBay. Am I alone in that and being paranoid ?  

Fair point, but Jason has a good reputation and a good few folk on this forum have used him in the past. I believe he is based near Bicester if its the same fella I'm thinking off. Perhaps @EVO Chris can confirm.

Yes that’s him, been in the interior business for years and has a good reputation.
I belong to other forums including classic cars and they use him, put the word out before I went for it. Like anything safety related you need to take a calculated risk before moving forward. For instance I buy brembo discs and pads to ensure they as good as the manufacturer spec etc.

3 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

Yes that’s him, been in the interior business for years and has a good reputation.
I belong to other forums including classic cars and they use him, put the word out before I went for it. Like anything safety related you need to take a calculated risk before moving forward. For instance I buy brembo discs and pads to ensure they as good as the manufacturer spec etc.

Fair enough - and as I said no doubting him specifically or anyone's wisdom in using him, reputation is everything so sounds like he's the goto guy, which is good to know.

Regrouped this morning tidied garage put tools back put under trays and wheel arch liners, now with a positive attitude can see the wood for the trees, this project was starting to get on top of me, fresh start in the morning with a new focus!!

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

Regrouped this morning tidied garage put tools back put under trays and wheel arch liners, now with a positive attitude can see the wood for the trees, this project was starting to get on top of me, fresh start in the morning with a new focus!!

Any pictures of the install, how does the car look, and any tips?

All this talk about seat belts has encouraged me to remove mine and get them packaged ready for sending to JWAutoTrim first thing tomorrow morning.

As others have reported, it only took 25 mins to remove them, nice and easy. 

Next to have done is the steering wheel. Looked at replacing it for the round airbag type (existing is the triangle one) but costs are around £800+, once you factor in the airbag.

Have just emailed Royal Steering Wheels for a quote to re trim.  😀

Found out where my towing eye is & where to fit it. Unfortunately.

Was driving from Glasgow to Oban for work & turned back just short of Dalmally only to get stuck going up the hill. Friendly boys in blue in a X5 arrived before too long & towed me to the top of the hill. Followed a M&S artic who's weight was crushing ths snow from there to Tyndrum. Stopped to regroup then made the hair-raising treck via Crianlarich back to Glasgow. That was scary. No damage to me or to the car, fortunately.

I did check the forecast & both Glasgow & Oban looked fine. Must remember to check Tyndrum & Crianlarich too.

Saying that, I was sat in the Green Wellie looking out at a near white out  in 0deg while BBC weather app was suggesting 2deg & a possibility of some sleet blowing through 😕

10 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow well done for surviving. Winter tyres? If a year round keeper, consider a cheap set of alloys with winter tyres. 

Indeed. I had winter tyres on my MR2 roadster & they really made a difference. 

I'll have a look on other threads for recommendations on winter tyres (only had the car a month). I'm thinking 17's & skinnier than the 265/235 stagger I have at present.

Bought a load of door panel clips in advance of taking the panel off and breaking them. 
Got them from the OPC.  Something like 68p each. 
Also got a quote of ~£130+vat for a new regulator. Parts department did say they would be able to give me a bit of a discount though. 

8 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

Indeed. I had winter tyres on my MR2 roadster & they really made a difference. 

I'll have a look on other threads for recommendations on winter tyres (only had the car a month). I'm thinking 17's & skinnier than the 265/235 stagger I have at present.

I have winter tyres on my 987 Cayman and I live in London! Having driven in some seriously bad conditions in years gone by I reckon winter tyres are well worth it, and running winter tyres during the summer is no great hardship at all. 

Moving from 18 to 17 inch wheels made a HUGE difference to the car for me. Smaller is definitely better when it comes to wheel size, on almost any car. 

Spend a few hundred quid on some 17inch wheels and winter tyres and you won't regret it. I think there was someone on one of the facebook groups selling some newly refurbished 17 inch 987.1 wheels for £400 a while back. Another couple of hundred quid on some winter tyres and you'll be amazed at the difference. 

• Like 1