What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

15 minutes ago, Topbox said:

PS. the cheese headlight tool from the Porsche  tool kit split doing this headlight removal. Once this happens it will not grip the 5mm nut on the end of the headlight release mechanism and if you persist in ignorance you risk rounding off the said 5mm nut. Best use a 5mm socket with a 100mm extension bar and a rachet. Make sure the bits all fit snugley or you may loose the socket down the wheel arch.

We have to solve this for the forum.  I have heard a lot but never seen.  Having just replaced bathroom taps I am aware of the wonder of box spanners.  Would something like this work?  Buy it and leave it in the car instead of the cheese one?

https://www.uktools.com/5mm-angled-box-spanner.html

33 minutes ago, Topbox said:

PS. the cheese headlight tool from the Porsche  tool kit split doing this headlight removal. Once this happens it will not grip the 5mm nut on the end of the headlight release mechanism and if you persist in ignorance you risk rounding off the said 5mm nut. Best use a 5mm socket with a 100mm extension bar and a rachet. Make sure the bits all fit snugley or you may loose the socket down the wheel arch. Basic stuff for many here I know, but worth highlighting again for newer owners.

That's really useful information for a newbie like me, cheers mate :thumbsup_still:

When one of my dipped beam bulbs went belly up recently I got as far as buying a couple of new ones, with the intention of fitting a pair (just in case the colour was a bit different on the new ones).  However, when I saw you have to take the headlamp off to fit them, I chickened out and left it to the professionals.  The car was already booked into TWG Motorsports for it's major service a couple of days later anyway, so it made sense to wait and get it done properly.  I think they charged about 12 quid for one, so not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

As an indication of my sausage fingered spannering skills, I changed the bulb on my previous car (VW Beetle) and that was a similar system, requiring removal of the headlamp assembly. Surprise surprise, it never worked properly after that, sometimes it came on, sometimes not, so I had to check every time I switched them on because there was no warning on the instrument panel like the Porsche has got.  Another time recently, Mrs P needed the battery changing on her MR-2 Roadster, a simple 5 minute job that any numpty can do... er... as long as you don't snap the battery terminal in two by tightening it too much, of course.......... :blush:

51 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

You saying that the metal tool used to extract the headlights can “split”???

First time I tried to remove my headlight the end of the tool SPLIT, literally felt apart!  I thought I was unlucky, but reading above appears it's normal!

@Topbox I'll keep the info about a 5mm socket handy for potential future issues, thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chanlon1 said:

You saying that the metal tool used to extract the headlights can “split”???

Yes. Once it has split it will slip on the nut head but there is quite a bit of resistance between each slip. I think you would have to be rather silly to persist to the point you started to round off the nut. In fairness to Porsche perhaps the tool is designed to be soft so it cant damage the the headlight retaining mechanism when used by the hamfisted. I was quite carefull having removed lights on my previous 986 and the current 987 but the initial unlocking does require considerable pressure and although steadilly applied the Porsche tool socket end split this time. Thanks to the forum I was aware of the issue and nipped out to purchase the required 100mm socket extension bar, already had a 5mm socket. IIRC @Menoporsche there is a thread describing  a solution for removing the headlights when the end of the locking bar has indeed been mangled and a socket can no longer grip.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, red rocket said:

Sacrilege!! But welcome anyway. 

Thanks.  Yes, would like to use it but busy with work and it needs a little TLC, ideally get new front brake pipes done (MOT advisory) and just a general/proper clean/wax etc.

So, the headlight tool is bound to split this weekend when I go to put my new indicator bulb in... I broke a socket putting my winters on last weekend, but then it was from a very old set. That's my excuse anyway.

And yesterday I got a puncture in one of the newly fitted winter wheels. 

I think the car is telling me it's time to get that 981 or even 718. And it is Christmas after all.

Fitted a 'Mr12Volt' bluetooth device in place of my CD changer. Super simple to install (after I realised you don't have to remove all of the frunk plastics) and works brilliantly, great bt streaming quality and phone good too.

I ran the mic through the driver side fiewall grommet and mounted it next to the steering column. Wanted to keep the original stereo look with a bit more functionality and this has proved to be the perfect solution!

13 minutes ago, Rooose said:

Fitted a 'Mr12Volt' bluetooth device in place of my CD changer. Super simple to install (after I realised you don't have to remove all of the frunk plastics) and works brilliantly, great bt streaming quality and phone good too.

I ran the mic through the driver side fiewall grommet and mounted it next to the steering column. Wanted to keep the original stereo look with a bit more functionality and this has proved to be the perfect solution!

Oooh, I like the sound of this - Detailed instructions with photos would be good mate... :whistle1: :lol:

31 minutes ago, Rooose said:

Sounds like the exact method I used just over a year ago. I've been very happy with it. 

49 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Oooh, I like the sound of this - Detailed instructions with photos would be good mate... :whistle1: :lol:

Didnt take any pictures I am afraid but if you already have a cd changer definitely one of the simplest upgrades you could do. Unclip cd changer, remove, plug cd changer fibre cable into new blutooth device,  splice black device to brown cd changer wire then power wires to the red device wire and you have bluetooth!

If you are also running the mic, you will see the big plastic gromit to the left of the battery, just puncture this (i used a bradle and pushed through a coat hanger) you will then see just above the accelerator pedal where this enters the car. Pull through the mic cable and place where you want. 

I think it may be a little more involved if you have no cd changer but for the cost and functionality, I would definitely recommend it!

1 minute ago, Rooose said:

Didnt take any pictures I am afraid but if you already have a cd changer definitely one of the simplest upgrades you could do. Unclip cd changer, remove, plug cd changer fibre cable into new blutooth device,  splice black device to brown cd changer wire then power wires to the red device wire and you have bluetooth!

If you are also running the mic, you will see the big plastic gromit to the left of the battery, just puncture this (i used a bradle and pushed through a coat hanger) you will then see just above the accelerator pedal where this enters the car. Pull through the mic cable and place where you want. 

I think it may be a little more involved if you have no cd changer but for the cost and functionality, I would definitely recommend it!

Have you a link to the device you bought please? I have a 986 but I’m guessing it’s the same 🙂

2 minutes ago, Rooose said:

No errors for me. As far as I am aware,  it just emulates the changer. CDC becomes the bluetooth input.

Cheers. I’ve always considered this as mine has the CD changer and it’s seems a straight forward install. 

in regards to it working, do you have to have the PCM set to the CD option to work. Eg can you use the sat nav at the same time or switch the screen to Trip etc?

27 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

Cheers. I’ve always considered this as mine has the CD changer and it’s seems a straight forward install. 

in regards to it working, do you have to have the PCM set to the CD option to work. Eg can you use the sat nav at the same time or switch the screen to Trip etc?

No PCM for me, I have the CDR24. I would assume however that the functionality would be the same as the cd changer you have now. 

Afraid I can't give a firm answer on this though!

26 minutes ago, Rooose said:

No PCM for me, I have the CDR24. I would assume however that the functionality would be the same as the cd changer you have now. 

Afraid I can't give a firm answer on this though!

No worries. May treat myself over the holidays. Hoping eBay will pop up with a discount code for me!

Put in some new rear pads and replaced the wrongly supplied lamda sensor. Mainly because on a Christmas do last week one of my mates said he would drive it down to Dijon for me In May so I can take it around the track. I will be diving something else the rest of the way 😕 Plenty of time to bed then in though 🙂