What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

new plates fitted! the old front plate was really cracked and faded, did look pretty terrible to be fair. 

gonna give it a quick detail this afternoon and then off to caffeine and machine this evening 😎

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

new plates fitted! the old front plate was really cracked and faded, did look pretty terrible to be fair. 

gonna give it a quick detail this afternoon and then off to caffeine and machine this evening 😎

I think this makes a huge difference to the appearence of a car.

I really want to do the 981 plinth mod to remove the overhang.

Bought a fuel cap and peg from Porsche Estoril. Only wanted a new tether but the cap plus tether was €18 and then about €1 for the peg. 
Gorgeous 8C6 old Carrera in there with ducktail, but I was in a hurry and didn’t snap a pic, I should have!

Bled the brakes .Was 30 months previously done and 8 K miles ago .

Slightly  dark came out ( did all 8 nipples ) .I did test it and it’s was according to my electronic % water meter under 1 % , but thought what the heck .I didn’t want the nips to cease up by leaving it .Flushed through 1 -1 1/2 L used a eze bled pressure bleeder . I think the system needs .7 of L ? 
Didn’t bother with the gadget to pulse the ABS ( I have one could not be arsed ) as it’s not got PASM .It’s a boggo 2.9 987.2 

Anyhow despite the under alleged 1%  water in the fluid the brakes after immediately felt harder and firmer .It’s only a tenner / L .

My other pork the Macan is still under the dealer as still in warranty and it gets a flush every 2 yrs , sometimes annually.

while the wheels were off re wax oiled up bits .Esp the front water pipe connectors …..to extend life and prevent corrosion in the joints .I think the wax melts when the pipes hot up and the oil runs in the crevice where water / salt would lurk .

cleaned up and very sparingly waxed the brake retaining apparatus.

Its off to Switzerland and Italy  via the Hull Rotterdam ferry very soon .

2 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Bled the brakes .Was 30 months previously done and 8 K miles ago .

Slightly  dark came out ( did all 8 nipples ) .I did test it and it’s was according to my electronic % water meter under 1 % , but thought what the heck .I didn’t want the nips to cease up by leaving it .Flushed through 1 -1 1/2 L used a eze bled pressure bleeder . I think the system needs .7 of L ? 
Didn’t bother with the gadget to pulse the ABS ( I have one could not be arsed ) as it’s not got PASM .It’s a boggo 2.9 987.2 

Anyhow despite the under alleged 1%  water in the fluid the brakes after immediately felt harder and firmer .It’s only a tenner / L .

My other pork the Macan is still under the dealer as still in warranty and it gets a flush every 2 yrs , sometimes annually.

while the wheels were off re wax oiled up bits .Esp the front water pipe connectors …..to extend life and prevent corrosion in the joints .I think the wax melts when the pipes hot up and the oil runs in the crevice where water / salt would lurk .

cleaned up and very sparingly waxed the brake retaining apparatus.

Its off to Switzerland and Italy  via the Hull Rotterdam ferry very soon .

I just got back in my 987 after a couple of months not using and I am noticing the brakes don't feel as sharp as other cars I have  driven in the meantime. Now I know all about the over servo use on other cars and I agree, Porsches don't feel as powerful but they are, they are just encourage more sensitivity and if necessary pressure.

Any how, interesting to read your post, my service book shows the brake fluid was checked at all the Porshe servicing and the first indie service, not sure about the last indie service though, so even if they did do it, I think I need to flush the sytem after reading your post.

In short, thanks for posting.

On 5/10/2024 at 10:00 PM, Terryg said:

I just got back in my 987 after a couple of months not using and I am noticing the brakes don't feel as sharp as other cars I have  driven in the meantime. Now I know all about the over servo use on other cars and I agree, Porsches don't feel as powerful but they are, they are just encourage more sensitivity and if necessary pressure.

Any how, interesting to read your post, my service book shows the brake fluid was checked at all the Porshe servicing and the first indie service, not sure about the last indie service though, so even if they did do it, I think I need to flush the sytem after reading your post.

In short, thanks for posting.

Just to add. The brakes on both my 986 and 987 are brilliant. Lots of feel and not oversensitive. There is plenty of power there with a progressive push of the pedal.

Both have had recent fluid changes and have quality pads.

Compared to modern cars that I have driven recently, they feel like brakes should be. I can’t understand why modern cars are so sensitive and require just a light breathing on the pedal to induce heart stopping moments.

• Like 1

After a failed alignment visit, I replaced the corroded eccentric washers and bolts (about £85 from my local OPC) and around 2 hours labour to replace them, luckily not seized. 

m5Ct7A1.jpeg

Anyways, went for less toe in at the front (Not brave enough for toe out on the front on a road car lol) and more front camber, rear stayed pretty much OEM Porsche specs 

Edited by Crudeoink
Image no worky

42 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Checked the rear drains today and found a torx bolt, a metal collar and a rubber washer in the drain area. 
Quick 5 mins on google and it is from the support arm, will bolt them back in later :)

are you sure they weren't optional extras? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4