Bolt on twin exhaust tips?

spicer92

Hi all! 😁

I'm looking to replace the single exit exhaust tip on my 987 with a twin pipe tip. Ideally, I don't want to spend £300 on a x pipe plus the tips.

I've seen various single-to-double exit tips (such as the link below, but I don't like the style with the naff carbon bits!), but can't find any to fit the 70mm diameter of the exhaust pipe. Most are to fit over a 63mm pipe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-Glossy-Black-Stainless-Steel-150mm-Car-Exhaust-Tip-Muffler-Dual-Pipe-63-89mm/153548720828?hash=item23c0378abc:g:hrkAAOSwplBdGZsc&autorefresh=true

Has anyone found one, or can give any pointers?

Cheers

Must it be black? A double D silver tip off an S wouldn’t fit? There are several used ones around I thought. 

Certainly I replaced mine with an outrageously expensive Porsche black one so the original is surplus. (Sorry, postage from here probably prohibitive)  

@Menoporsche I'm not sure what you mean by the double D tips?

Nope, it doesn't have to be black at all. I actually like the single wall stainless ones the most, but I'm open to others. The link I shared was just an example of the bolt on tips which use the original T piece.

@iborguk thanks. Yes I have seen these, but even there the cheapest is £225 for something that in all honesty looks a bit tacky! The others are all around £500. It just seems a little excessive for a small cosmetic upgrade considering there are £50 tips available for other exhaust sizes that do exactly the same thing.

@Mattman42i haven't actually. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Many thanks for the replies

16 hours ago, spicer92 said:

Hi all! 😁

I'm looking to replace the single exit exhaust tip on my 987 with a twin pipe tip. Ideally, I don't want to spend £300 on a x pipe plus the tips.

I've seen various single-to-double exit tips (such as the link below, but I don't like the style with the naff carbon bits!), but can't find any to fit the 70mm diameter of the exhaust pipe. Most are to fit over a 63mm pipe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-Glossy-Black-Stainless-Steel-150mm-Car-Exhaust-Tip-Muffler-Dual-Pipe-63-89mm/153548720828?hash=item23c0378abc:g:hrkAAOSwplBdGZsc&autorefresh=true

Has anyone found one, or can give any pointers?

Cheers

Infinity exhausts (near bristol)  did mine for less than £150 fitted 

one of the nicest mods on my car

20 minutes ago, khushy said:

Infinity exhausts (near bristol)  did mine for less than £150 fitted 

one of the nicest mods on my car

Thanks khushy. Have you got any pictures?

What exactly did they do, make a X pipe that you could out your own tips on?

Thanks- I think I've found them, the've since gone up to £200. Not sure if the size of the pipe is the same from the gen 1 and gen 2 (mines a gen 2, the T pipe outlet is 70mm), I'll give them a call tomorrow.

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/stainless-steel-twin-tailpipe-tips-porsche-boxster-987-cayman-s-2005-2009.html

I'd say £200 is acceptable for a minor cosmetic upgrade, but I think I'll look at making my own pipe to replace the T-pipe on the back with twin exits (similar to the image below), then can put bolt-on tips of my choice on. It should save a lot of money and give me a choice of whatever tips I want to go on, e.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Akrapovic-stainless-steel-dual-exhaust-tip_60430675498.html

bes98706000s_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that's the whole tip, just a bolt on wrap that goes around an existing exhaust pipe.

And nope, not yet. I was looking at getting two 90 degree pipes and some tips separately. I'll post some links later but it came to about £110, plus a few hours of my time in the workshop making them!

I have some suspension issues to look at first so will see how much that ends up costing before I tackle this :)

Archived