Is my Boxster haunted ??

Wolfbagger

So over the last few weeks I’ve been coming home, locking my Boxster and heading inside thinking no more about it. 

However every so often I’d get up in the morning and go outside and notice either the car was unlocked, the boot was unlocked, the frunk was unlocked or a combination of all 3. 

Initially I put it down to me catching the buttons on my key while putting in my pocket or just general forgetfulness in locking it but it seems to be happening far to often for that. 

Has anyone else had these issues?

Could it be down to battery in my car or the key battery being low, a general electrical problem or even low temperatures outside??

OR is my Boxster really haunted ??👻👻

3 minutes ago, EagleStar said:

The missus has been borrowing it....

Your next door neighbour has been borrowing it (the famous "Porsche envy ") or it's been sneaking out for date nights with my 987 SE  -  I get first dibs on any offspring though .

This is usually pocket fumble. 

I refused to believe it was that until I took the key off the general key ring and it stopped happening.  If you can find someone with a piwis they can change the duration of keypress required to pop the boots (0)

or. Your spare key is in a drawer pressed up against a charger for something you have forgotten about and now and again it’s making contact. 

@Paul P @Jason986S I really want to believe it is ‘pocket fumble’ but it’s just happened too often and I’ve consciously made a point of putting my keys in a coat pocket carefully but still coming out the next morning and having the boot open. 

If it continues then I’m getting an exorcism done !!! 😂😂

45 minutes ago, Wolfbagger said:

@Paul P @Jason986S I really want to believe it is ‘pocket fumble’ but it’s just happened too often and I’ve consciously made a point of putting my keys in a coat pocket carefully but still coming out the next morning and having the boot open. 

If it continues then I’m getting an exorcism done !!! 😂😂

Can I suggest a PIWIS scan rather than a “bell book and candle”

More seriously. On the occasions when things are “unlocked” on return to car are you sure it all locked fine when you left it. 

no “chirps” from the alarm ?

have seen one case where frunk would pop open but that turned out to be gummed up lock that barely latched  

never heard of a system wide opening that wasn’t spurious signals from one or both keys  

suggest a double check  split the keys and make sure everything is back as it should be and nothing stuck or misaligned   

13 hours ago, Paul P said:

This is usually pocket fumble. 

😂

24 minutes ago, rowbos said:

You are the queen of smut! 😏

You lot have been grooming me over the past ( nearly ) year - you,@John K and @Scubaregs are such a bad influence - don’t know if i’ll make it to my first “BoXa “ anniversary!

5 hours ago, Wolfbagger said:

Well was 100% careful last night making sure everything was locked and key safely out of harms reach....

Come down today and the boot is open 😡

Did the alarm sound. ?  If not then the car thinks it was told to unlock  

try taking the battery out if the key that normally stays at hone. If big difference. Do it to the other one.  

On 11/1/2019 at 10:20 PM, Jason986S said:

Ive had this before. Boot randomly pops open or something. But I realised i was leaning on my pocket/key.

Yup, done this too! had spare key in a cabinet and when drawer moved something would press against it. Took me ages to figure out what was happening !

I'd find boot open or door unlocked randomly - and it was just pressure on the spare key in the cabinet.

Very surprised how far away it worked - it was in a metal lined cabinet, behind a double brick wall and a 2 ft thick cob garden wall and about 5 metres of air - and it still worked!

Well no open boot this morning which was a bonus but still think there is an underlying problem.

Chatting to a friend (who owns a 944) he suggested that maybe there was a problem with my key fob, in that it might have part short-circuited or have internal damage which is causing the random unlocking, and suggested taking the battery out the fob and using the second key. Does this make any sense and is there a problem using the spare key a regular?

Archived