Sub Standard Illumination

MAC99V

Morning all....

Just after some thoughts if I may. Cars an 09 987 II S variant, had it for around 8 months. One thing i've noticed when driving at night is how poor the headlights are. I know technology has moved on since 09, but i think i'd get better illumination by sitting on the bonnet shining my phones torch in front !!

Passed it's MOT with no issues, so I assume bright enough to pass (if relevant in the test), could it be just the age of the bulbs etc? Are there any improvements that could be made to substantially improve the lighting?

Thanks in advance for any comments...(no comments suggesting two phone torches stuck to the front please)....Cheers ,M

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No concrete suggestions - though I believe some people have upgraded bulbs - this can however cause bus errors to be raised as far as I recall...

My 987.1 with standard headlights was dire at night, so much so I just didn't drive it after dark.  My current 987.2 has PDLS, so Xenon steering headlights and they are superb (not gloating, just stating facts!).

Good luck, I'm sure someone will be along with some valid suggestions...

If H7 halogens, many on bimmerforums have had success with the H7 LED replacements, it seems the origin of light is very close between the two, so beam pattern etc is close, these tend to be the £100 region of LEDs, not cheap Chinese ones...
The other observation, having sorted both daughters cars out on normal H7 halogens, was to get the best H7's - so Osram H7 Nightbreaker Ultimate - but more than that, properly adjust them so they give decent range - without blinding folk, many many cars appear to have dips pointing at the ground just ahead of the bumper, pretty grim, close to unsafe...
White garage door, 6ft away (ish), masking tape - to mark top and side of existing beam pattern, then works out your 2 adjusting screws, no more than 1 turn, with the tape you'll be able to see what's happened,  ideal would then later walk ahead of car on a dark lane and crouch to drivers height, see if glare, but underground carparks with lots of glass around can also show if you glare, other road user might also indicate :-)

18 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

If H7 halogens, many on bimmerforums have had success with the H7 LED replacements, it seems the origin of light is very close between the two, so beam pattern etc is close, these tend to be the £100 region of LEDs, not cheap Chinese ones...

They work well, but longevity can be an issue due to the operating temperatures. 

Probably nearly all of them originate from China and alot of the more expensive ones from UK resellers are identical to 20 quid jobbies you can buy from Aliexpress etc. 

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

No concrete suggestions - though I believe some people have upgraded bulbs - this can however cause bus errors to be raised as far as I recall...

My 987.1 with standard headlights was dire at night, so much so I just didn't drive it after dark.  My current 987.2 has PDLS, so Xenon steering headlights and they are superb (not gloating, just stating facts!).

Good luck, I'm sure someone will be along with some valid suggestions...

cheers Rowbos......

3 hours ago, T24RES said:

What lamps does your car have?

Halogen?

Xenon?

Will help with the answers, or if you are not sure a picture of the headlamp face on would suffice.

Hi T24res, image attached of whats currently in place, checked against the full code list, nothing showing as extra spec, so i guess bog standard?....

IMG_0006.jpg

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Putting some new lamps in will improve things slightly.I think they do get dimmer over time like we all do..

thats me to a tee then liberty, thanks.....😀

Don't bother with the Ring 😁 150% ones.

Just fitted them and no better then a standard H7 bulb. 

How much does a pair of used Porsche Xenons cost for a 986...?... got spare pair of lights here but can't really be arsed to diy. 

I've had some success with Osram Night Breaker Laser Next Gen Upgrade Headlight Bulb Set - H7, and the same for the main beam in H1.

Otherwise it's the LED route, which us more money. 

What sort of night driving do you do?

I put Nightbreakers, or Philips equivalent, in my family car. A bit better but not great, and they blew after a year or so. Original halogens were 7 years old and still working. 

We looked at this before. Law says OEM bulbs over 2000 lumens have to be accompanied by washers. That implies halogens are 1800lm or thereabouts. I wonder what the 50% or 150% brighter really means, given other advertising claims like “waterproof “ watches which can’t go into water. 

Apparently xenons are 3000+ lm, which is why you can clearly see (!) the difference. 

Im interested as your car is a .2. I think all the retrofit xenons we heard of throwing errors were .1.  Wonder if you have a better chance of success. 

Just be careful of higher wattage bulbs. The plastic headlamps have a habit of overheating in the line of the bean.

I have Xenons in my 987, but I don’t think they’re that great - although I also have adaptive xenons in our 530D which are amazing. So I could just be spoilt.

I wonder if my headlight lenses might need a polish - they look a little cloudy. Could that really affect the beam cast?

7 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Have a, look at Phillips ultinon LED. Not cheap but easily the best LED I've used. 

Do you find them bright enough as I think the H7 only had 6 leds ? 

The lights I've used which had the same Philips luxeon leds had 8 and while good I wouldnt fancy a 25% reduction in output. 

38 minutes ago, xavster said:

I wonder if my headlight lenses might need a polish - they look a little cloudy. Could that really affect the beam cast?

Apparently that’s the reason for the obligatory washers, that dirty lenses dazzle (have I got my cause and effect right?). So do try a polish. 

10 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Do you find them bright enough as I think the H7 only had 6 leds ? 

The lights I've used which had the same Philips luxeon leds had 8 and while good I wouldnt fancy a 25% reduction in output. 

Yes they are brighter than the halogens they replaced.  One thing to note is they are designed for reflectors so the beam is designed to mimic a halogen.  They might not perform as well as alternatives with more leds behind projector lenses. I did try several different led h7 replacements before the Philips and all of these scattered light everywhere.  The Phillips are much more focused, still a bit of bleed but easily managed by directing the beam down a little bit. 

Bit of a fiddly bugger to fit, mind but they all are. 

Archived