Manual bonnet release cable not where it should be

Aaron_151

2007 987 2.7 Boxster. UK. RHD.

I disconnected the battery then closed the front lid. School boy error.

I searched the internet to find there is a cable release in the front left wheel arch. Mine is not there. I have read sometimes it can go walk abouts.

Any ideas on getting this bonnet open any other way other than tearing it open? 

Front bumper removal? 

Im fairly happy to remove as much as needed to do this if it means I don’t have to break it.

Thanks in Advance.

6E3A4803-8D87-4FE0-8282-040733E12F03.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Aaron_151 said:

2007 987 2.7 Boxster. UK. RHD.

I disconnected the battery then closed the front lid. School boy error.

I searched the internet to find there is a cable release in the front left wheel arch. Mine is not there. I have read sometimes it can go walk abouts.

Any ideas on getting this bonnet open any other way other than tearing it open? 

Front bumper removal? 

Im fairly happy to remove as much as needed to do this if it means I don’t have to break it.

Thanks in Advance.

6E3A4803-8D87-4FE0-8282-040733E12F03.jpeg

Usual way is pull the red connector out of the fuse box in the footwell, attach a battery to it and the lock on the door jamb (also works with a charger) to operate the opener.  Your missing cable could be on the other side of the car - as you've spotted, it sometimes gets moved but pretty sure mine is on the right anyway. Have you been looking at US sites referring to driver's side?

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

Usual way is pull the red connector out of the fuse box in the footwell, attach a battery to it and the lock on the door jamb (also works with a charger) to operate the opener.  Your missing cable could be on the other side of the car - as you've spotted, it sometimes gets moved but pretty sure mine is on the right anyway. Have you been looking at US sites referring to driver's side?

Red Rocket,

Got it from the following link.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1010615#msg1010615

I did have a look on the other side but couldn’t find anything.

I thought you would need a connection to the battery for the emergency red plug thing? 

Thanks.

Aaron

2 minutes ago, Aaron_151 said:

thought you would need a connection to the battery for the emergency red plug thing?

You may be right, not sure. But must be worth a try. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron_151 said:

did have a look on the other side but couldn’t find anything

Think it's pretty well concealed. Need to remove wheel (difficult if you've locked the wheel nut tool in the frunk!) and ferret around, possibly removing arch liner.

On my 986, the red plug in fuse box, gives enough power so the keys will work, so should be able to remote open frunk with key, 

had auto aid out to mind last week and it worked, with a dead battery, 

Front nearside , remove wheel arch liner tucked up in the corner not immediately obvious and quite short, looks like a by cycle brake cable,I had to grab it with mole grips to give sufficient purchase/ leverage.

On our 986 it was on the front offside as it was 2004 BUT IIRC earlier versions of the 986 had it on the nearside. 

I removed the headlight and it was taped to the area below the headlight so I rerouted it and located it behind the tow attachment trim cover for future eventualities. 

Did something similar with the rear manual release. 

36 minutes ago, elgringo said:

C’mon, spill the beans, how did you fix it?

As most said. I gave the emergency red plug a go. Worked first time.

Very school boy stuff. But everyday is a school day. 

Now to fix my roof! 

3 hours ago, Aaron_151 said:

As most said. I gave the emergency red plug a go. Worked first time.

Very school boy stuff. But everyday is a school day. 

Now to fix my roof! 

And locate the emergency release cable! Should be locateable from the top with the bonnet open and plastic trim removed.

Archived