Boxster 987 2.5

Theo86

Best of luck mate , enjoy your day out either way and do what FEELS right at the end of the day  ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Truth said:

Best of luck mate , enjoy your day out either way and do what FEELS right at the end of the day  ;)

Steering feels heavy and slightly floaty...drone from the back exhaust...only one key...stalled in first a couple of times...

Couldn't sleep last night...had two small bottles of Stella are 10.30...after clearing up my daughters cookie making that she carried out for the school fair, this was done on a industrial scale.I watch one tray and manage to burn them.

Adam at Cavendish was a gentleman...I was a bit nervous from the start, driving my first Porsche.

Steering felt slightly detached, not sure if I was spoilt with the Mx5 NA or just this car. Also the throttle response, again same thing.

The previous owner needs a stern talking to regarding fitting those exhausts...the noise level at 2500, I honesty got a headache.

The pickup on the throttle is around 4k...the gearbox was a delight...I mean excellent.

1 minute ago, Theo86 said:

Couldn't sleep last night...had two small bottles of Stella are 10.30...after clearing up my daughters cookie making that she carried out for the school fair, this was done on a industrial scale.I watch one tray and manage to burn them.

Adam at Cavendish was a gentleman...I was a bit nervous from the start, driving my first Porsche.

Steering felt slightly detached, not sure if I was spoilt with the Mx5 NA or just this car. Also the throttle response, again same thing.

The previous owner needs a stern talking to regarding fitting those exhausts...the noise level at 2500, I honesty got a headache.

The pickup on the throttle is around 4k...the gearbox was a delight...I mean excellent.

Would they be able to do something for you with the exhaust? Maybe change it for an OEM? 

The 4K pick up is where all the fun is in a Porsche. 

If anything it will be good to compare to other Porsches now.

On the TRAIN back to London now.

£130 lighter, but a lot wiser...

I think the 2.5 is pretty special and does punch above its weight because it is so light.

Their are several other things I didn't like but I also understand that this I a twenty year old car. 

Lastly, I would say as Ziggy mentioned earlier, Cavendish were straight with me and Adam was a gent, so would only leave positive feedback.

23 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

Boxsters normally get a good writeup on steering feel, but suspect an early MX5 is pretty much the pinnacle in terms of feel due to the lightweight and skinny tyres. Useful to get a feel for how Boxsters drive, so the £130 wasn't wasted. Probably worth seeing what turns up on here as there is less chance of buying a 'wrong un' as long term members on here tend to be pretty honest about their cars. The 149k 2.5k at £3k on here was a bargain as how it's been looked after is far more important than miles.

Good luck with the search🙂 

27 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

Would they be able to do something for you with the exhaust? Maybe change it for an OEM? 

The 4K pick up is where all the fun is in a Porsche. 

If anything it will be good to compare to other Porsches now.

I suspect they'll have to do something about that exhaust as the market for a well looked after low mileage car doesn't fit well with a 'boy racer' exhaust.

7 minutes ago, Truth said:

Oh well mate, there will be others 😉

True

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Boxsters normally get a good writeup on steering feel, but suspect an early MX5 is pretty much the pinnacle in terms of feel due to the lightweight and skinny tyres. Useful to get a feel for how Boxsters drive, so the £130 wasn't wasted. Probably worth seeing what turns up on here as there is less chance of buying a 'wrong un' as long term members on here tend to be pretty honest about their cars. The 149k 2.5k at £3k on here was a bargain as how it's been looked after is far more important than miles.

Good luck with the search🙂 

Nobbie...the Sage.

Of course you are right..taking you next time.

Think I looked at (and test drove) over a dozen before buying mine, in 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2 guises - some 987 too - they will vary massively depending on many things, initial feel from them to do with tyres, how recent the last full 4 wheel alignment was done and wether they have tired suspension or not.

Incidentally I came also from an MX-5 as our previous fun car (a 1.8iS NB) which I ran for over 8yrs, initially the Boxster felt like it lacked a little in steering feel and it's gear change isn't as rifle like (much longer in throw) I'd been expecting the Boxster to feel like a bigger, faster MX-5, which it doesn't - once you gel with the car it feels a whole lot more of a step up than that, but it is 250-300kg heavier and mid engined rather than front, so feels less go-cart like - but more grown up and solid, makes a much better noise too.

Good luck with the search - the right car will be there for you, just gotta do the research.

23 minutes ago, NicGun said:

Think I looked at (and test drove) over a dozen before buying mine, in 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2 guises - some 987 too - they will vary massively depending on many things, initial feel from them to do with tyres, how recent the last full 4 wheel alignment was done and wether they have tired suspension or not.

Incidentally I came also from an MX-5 as our previous fun car (a 1.8iS NB) which I ran for over 8yrs, initially the Boxster felt like it lacked a little in steering feel and it's gear change isn't as rifle like (much longer in throw) I'd been expecting the Boxster to feel like a bigger, faster MX-5, which it doesn't - once you gel with the car it feels a whole lot more of a step up than that, but it is 250-300kg heavier and mid engined rather than front, so feels less go-cart like - but more grown up and solid, makes a much better noise too.

Good luck with the search - the right car will be there for you, just gotta do the research.

Yes, you're 100% spot on as far as I thought it would be a more powerful version of a Mx5. Saying that having owned 3 Mazda's the NA version and I'm guessing the NB are on a different level to the later cars.

I struggled to 'feel' or gel with the car as you mentioned. The power increase from 4k was great to have, but it actually seemed to hesitant from 1k rpms.

I guess I need to find the right car, then I can gel with it...

By the way...what did you buy

2.7 and of course 3.2 have more lower down power than 2.5, but not dollops more.

987 has more space than 986; they just about start at 7k but probably tired.

For 986 you could fit 987 seats for more headroom, and can delete the centre console for more legroom.

26 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

By the way...what did you buy

I bought a very well specced 54k mile early 986 3.2S, which had low owners and been very well maintained (in the history had a clutch, lots of new suspension and never missed an annual service etc) pics below.

As @Menoporsche says if you find the 986 cabin a little cramped you can do the centre console delete to free up space, and 987 seats give more headroom, I'm only 5' 8", so its perfect for me.

IMG_2671.jpg

clean.jpg

24 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

Yes, you're 100% spot on as far as I thought it would be a more powerful version of a Mx5. Saying that having owned 3 Mazda's the NA version and I'm guessing the NB are on a different level to the later cars.

I struggled to 'feel' or gel with the car as you mentioned. The power increase from 4k was great to have, but it actually seemed to hesitant from 1k rpms.

As you've found out, it's a very different drive. 

I owned na Mx5's for 15 years, and what @NicGun posted above is spot on. 

Can take a little while to appreciate the Boxster differences/qualities I think, but I'm sure you will be delighted once you've found the right car. 

Happy hunting..... 

Oh by the way you will hate the gearchange.  There are a couple of options to significantly improve it but apparently it will never be up to the Mazda standard.  Live with it and appreciate the other advantages!

6 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Oh by the way you will hate the gearchange.  There are a couple of options to significantly improve it but apparently it will never be up to the Mazda standard.  Live with it and appreciate the other advantages!

Hates a bit strong, but with a few tweaks it ain't too bad at all now :)

18 minutes ago, NicGun said:

I bought a very well specced 54k mile early 986 3.2S, which had low owners and been very well maintained (in the history had a clutch, lots of new suspension and never missed an annual service etc) pics below.

As @Menoporsche says if you find the 986 cabin a little cramped you can do the centre console delete to free up space, and 987 seats give more headroom, I'm only 5' 8", so its perfect for me.

IMG_2671.jpg

clean.jpg

Are you selling...🤔

1 minute ago, Theo86 said:

Are you selling...🤔

Afraid not mate this one is a long-term keeper, I think the only reason I'd let it go is if the right 986 S 550 Anniversary came up - but I'd want one to the same standard and similar mileage as my current S, which would inevitably cost me over £13k +, so I'm not actually looking.

There's enough of them around for you to find the one for you - just might not be as quick as you'd like.

Archived