frightened of big bills

jim o'hara

been lurking around for some time, and still considering a 987 - mainly looking at a Cayman, but will consider a boxster as they are couple grand cheaper  - considering a 2.7, maybe a 2.9 if i can stretch - although i would consider an S that's been pampered 

had an air cooled 911 before and a 996 which was pretty much faultless, bar brake pipes needing done

circumstances have changed now (couple of kids etc), and don't have the same dispensable income as i did back then - so the thought of getting a high bill kind of scares me

i have a brilliant indy close by and i'm aware of the general servicing costs, and can handle that without a major drama, but i simply would struggle with an unexpected bill of like £1500/£2000 etc

i know the pitfalls of the potential things that can go wrong through age/mlg eg - front coolant pipes, discs & pads, water pump, oil separator, gear linkage cables

so question is - IF i could get a car that had been well looked after, (maybe even from a forum member), and the big money items had been done, how long would it be until they needed done again??

as i say, my 996 after 2 years, cost me peanuts to maintain, so ideally would love the same scenario

i am also aware BTW that a lot of people do tend to replace items that really do not need replaced

thanks in advance

jim 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's really no telling. The general wisdom is to expect £1k - £2k of cost in the first year even if the car has been well maintained. The unexpected can and does happen.  That said it is possible to cruise through ownership without major expenditure.

15 minutes ago, Boxob said:

There's really no telling. The general wisdom is to expect £1k - £2k of cost in the first year even if the car has been well maintained. The unexpected can and does happen.  That said it is possible to cruise through ownership without major expenditure.

Thanks Boxob, but to be fair, if a car has been well maintained, then isn't it a bit much to expect to fork out £1/£2 k?

How old was your 996 when you had it? Most of this stuff is all age related. Spend more on a 987.2 2.9 as new as you can afford and hopefully you avoid the big bills. 

Older cars cost, it's that simple. I had a wee mini as a daily driver for almost 2 years, recently spent on an exhaust and rear discs and pads. Realised for next MOT needed 4 new tyres and a few other bits and bobs, so circa £700. Bit the bullet and PCPd a Corsa Griffen with all the toys as standard as was simply throwing good money after bad.

My 718 hasn’t cost me a penny maintenance wise as bought new and only 18 months old now, buy an old car and no matter how well maintained it’s been it will cost money.

1 hour ago, edc said:

How old was your 996 when you had it? Most of this stuff is all age related. Spend more on a 987.2 2.9 as new as you can afford and hopefully you avoid the big bills. 

it was a 1998 - i still read about it as i sold it to the editor of 911 & porsche world - lol

but i do get what you are saying with the 2.9

cheers

31 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Older cars cost, it's that simple. I had a wee mini as a daily driver for almost 2 years, recently spent on an exhaust and rear discs and pads. Realised for next MOT needed 4 new tyres and a few other bits and bobs, so circa £700. Bit the bullet and PCPd a Corsa Griffen with all the toys as standard as was simply throwing good money after bad.

My 718 hasn’t cost me a penny maintenance wise as bought new and only 18 months old now, buy an old car and no matter how well maintained it’s been it will cost money.

yeh i know old cars can cost, just trying to avoid mega bills that's all

I'm sure if i can buy wisely i may be ok

1 hour ago, Scubaregs said:

You can certainly lessen the chances of a big bill.

Buying off the forum helps, you can look at the sellers (cars) history and get an idea of the way the car has been looked after.

thanks, patty there wasn't a forum as good as this for Caymen too

If big bills scare you then being blunt, buying an older Porsche might not be right just now, you’ve had Porsche’s in the past so you know what to expect, I think you’ve answered the question yourself.

I've had two in four years. First a 2005 Tip now a 2011 S PDK. Both low miles one owner FSH. Only large bills other than servicing? Two tyres on the first one due to nails from the road. A new set on this one - but then I knew they were going to be needed. The first one had the Tip tally switch on the gearbox fail - but that was replaced under warranty. This car will need new discs and pads shortly.

36 minutes ago, DaveEFI said:

I've had two in four years. First a 2005 Tip now a 2011 S PDK. Both low miles one owner FSH. Only large bills other than servicing? Two tyres on the first one due to nails from the road. A new set on this one - but then I knew they were going to be needed. The first one had the Tip tally switch on the gearbox fail - but that was replaced under warranty. This car will need new discs and pads shortly.

thanks Dave, i think its all about buying the right car in the first place then - appreciate your comments 

Look through the For Sale forum, go some months back; several members cars have been offered and never sold so are probably still available if you ask.  Jason986S had a very tidy 987 which didn’t go. And the 550 Anni up here instead of trade in is offered for a steal but for such things you need to move fast. 

9 hours ago, the baron said:

If big bills scare you then being blunt, buying an older Porsche might not be right just now, you’ve had Porsche’s in the past so you know what to expect, I think you’ve answered the question yourself.

thanks, but that's just it, my others were pretty much trouble free, whereas i hear so many horror stories on boxsters & caymans

A one off £1500 bill is rare. You will rack that up on a suspension rebuild but it's not like the whole lot collapses in a heap at the same time. Biggest bills aside from engine which probably stop you in your tracks are clutch, coolant crossover pipes on 987, hard brakes lines. These should all be under the figure anyway. Things like rads or water pump are not really that expensive. Coming up for the older 987 will be exhaust as it is the labour to undo everything that costs. 

Porsche in general are expensive  £cars

I do all work DIY or local independent garage for "big"stuff

18months of ownership, several thousand miles later

One battery,one service, two rear coffin arms..........that's it

And that's on a 20yr old car.on 83000miles 

If you are that scared......porsche is not for you

Merry Christmas and a happy new year 

Just now, stevemag said:

Porsche in general are expensive  £cars

I do all work DIY or local independent garage for "big"stuff

18months of ownership, several thousand miles later

One battery,one service, two rear coffin arms..........that's it

And that's on a 20yr old car.on 83000miles 

If you are that scared......porsche is not for you

Merry Christmas and a happy new year 

thanks Steve, christ im not that scared - lol

what you are talking about is no problem whatsoever, i just read about people buying them and their first bill is like £2.5k - but i suppose they didn't do their homework before hand 

7 minutes ago, edc said:

A one off £1500 bill is rare. You will rack that up on a suspension rebuild but it's not like the whole lot collapses in a heap at the same time. Biggest bills aside from engine which probably stop you in your tracks are clutch, coolant crossover pipes on 987, hard brakes lines. These should all be under the figure anyway. Things like rads or water pump are not really that expensive. Coming up for the older 987 will be exhaust as it is the labour to undo everything that costs. 

thanks EDC, im definitely thinking now then that i should look for something that is very well cared for and has had the big things done within like 10k miles or so - OR potentially i suppose something that may need a couple of things done, but its reflected in the price 

jim

Archived