Fitting pioneer 230dab to Bose

Nick C

Hi, I've just brought a pioneer 230dab head unit and the Bose fascia kit with steering wheel controls, cost a lot but I can't handle CDs in the car, only had the car since just before Christmas,  my unit is the pcm2.1 with Bose. 

The company I brought the Bose kit off has recommended I get a professional fitter to do the stereo but I've read on forums that they really aren't that bad, I'm confident in jobs like this so I will tackle it myself. 

Any advice is welcome and if there's a how to guide of actually fitting the Bose fascia kit and wiring etc to a head unit could you please steer me to it??

Much appreciated. 

Nick. 

Your problem is the Bose, the original PCM unit connects to the amp via a fibre optic lead so you will need an adaptor for the Pioneer unit. Xtrons do one and Dynamic sounds also make one and if your feeling flush NavTv make one, take your pick.

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/navtv-most-bose-amp-stereo-wiring-harness-adaptor-for-porsche

You will need to run a wire from the fuse box as well for a switched power source as the PCM unit is switched on via CanBus.

Read through this as well 

Thanks for replying, yeah I've already sourced the correct kit from incartec, haven't received it yet but that comes with everything including the steering wheel controls, been told I won't have to tap into the fuses with the kit I've had as it's pretty much plug and play, it cost 350. I was just after a bit of a guide regards the fitting really. 

A mate has used these guys for din bits with good results, https://incartec.co.uk/Porsche

BOSE and non BOSE variants of their kits if you follow the link

BOSE link https://incartec.co.uk/product/FK-9591-IGNB-porsche-boxster-911-bose-stereo-kit

They made my mate a CANbus cable for his Audi at the time, seem to know their stuff.

13 minutes ago, Nick C said:

That's where im getting mine from as I've mentioned in this thread, I'm just after any advice in fitting the exact same kit I've ordered. 

Sorry I missed your second post re the supplier.

I've not been through the process yet but have the same kit (sans the steering wheel control) and will share anything useful I come across.

7 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I didn't mean to come across as being ungrateful before, the kit I've ordered I'd the one at 349.99. 

Would very much appreciate it if you let me know how you get on, I'll be doing mine a week on Saturday. 

Thanks

Nick. 

Nope you're all good, text is poor at conveying mood.

Just starting to work this through myself.

Video on removing the CDR24...

So here's the canbus ignition adapter instructions and that has the wiring on it to hook upto to the BOSE conversion box supplied in the kit.

https://incartec.blob.core.windows.net/media/20-187-IGN.pdf

So looks like it should be pretty plug and play. 

To echo your own thoughts if anyone else has had experience of fitting this kit please shout out and again if not I'm happy so share what I learn (maybe a week or so before I get to mine).

Just received the pioneer 230 stereo and my Bose kit from incartec, got my head around everything ready to fit on Saturday, only question is the 2 audio leads (red and white) that go into the back of the stereo to convert to fibre optic, which do they go into, front left and right, rear left and right or sub left and right??

Also the antenna blue lead, do I need to connect that up??

Thanks

Nick. 

No practical advice on the installation, but you will be over the moon with the 230dab. I had mine installed by a local company with Bose and steering wheel controls. It will transform the car.Good Luck

I reckon it’s audio to fronts and the blue wire is needed to power the antenna amplifier but the incartec unit may well already have that sorted. 

Drop them a nail to confirm. 

also the dab230 has a “handbrake” detect connection.  Nasty looking instructions for tapping on but in reality it just disables “watching videos” when driving  personally. I don’t need the nanny overrides to stop me doing that ( life preservation instinct wins) so when I installed in my daily driver I just earthed that connection.  

Thanks for replying. I have most of the unit wired but there's a few blue connectors with bullet connectors I'm not 100% with. I've also read that before taking out the pcm2.1 you should turn all bass treble etc to zero so the new head unit will work properly. Tried looking for a diagram everywhere but can't find one with the same kit I've brought. 

Paul P, I have earthed the handbrake wire to disable that. Do you have any instructions regards the blue connectors, do I just connect them all together as they are in the kit or do I need to tap into other wires?? In the kit there's a blue wire that's split with bullet connectors so just wondering why that is?? Also the kit has red yellow and black that need connecting so I take it I just tap into the same colour in the pioneer wiring. Don't want to disturb the cars wiring.

If you know of a link I could look at with the same kit that would be great but I can't find one. 

Sorry for all the questions. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Paul P, I have earthed the handbrake wire to disable that. Do you have any instructions regards the blue connectors, do I just connect them all together as they are in the kit or do I need to tap into other wires?? In the kit there's a blue wire that's split with bullet connectors so just wondering why that is?? Also the kit has red yellow and black that need connecting so I take it I just tap into the same colour in the pioneer wiring. Don't want to disturb the cars wiring.

If you know of a link I could look at with the same kit that would be great but I can't find one. 

Sorry for all the questions. 

Thanks. 

Sorry Nick can’t remember the exact details of the antenna setup.  My hands on install wasn’t in the Porsche so not directly applicable  

the Porsche antenna is definitely a powered unit so you need to get power to it somehow.  I thought the incartec harness already did that but I am going by hearsay/things I have read so can’t be sure of it.  

Quick update. 

Everything wired out of the car, phono leads go to the front L & R out of the stereo for the Bose, all I need now really is a guide to route the microphone cable from the back of the head unit to the top of the a pillar. 

Can't wait to get it in now!!!!

Cheers

Nick. 

My microphone is wired in just left of the steering column, on the spare bit of dash (above my left knee) 

The installation guy said being a convertible the receiver of the phone call will get less wind noise as I'm driving. This has proved to be true. Friends couldn't tell the roof was down. 

Another update.

So today I took out the centre console to remove the 12v cigarette power socket and fit a USB flush mount socket to run a USB to the back of my new head unit for apple car play etc, easy job!!

Second I threaded the mic wire into the seal of the a pillar so I can mount it at the top near the visor, no need to remove anything, then tucked it under the carpet and ran it behind the head unit, another easy job. 

Third I removed the pcm2.1 and disconnected it ready to fit the pioneer 230, no problems yet. 

I had wired the incartec Bose kit with steering wheel controls (the one at 349.99) off the car, followed instructions and once I got my head around it it wasn't that bad, you have to splice into a few wires on the head unit wiring but nothing major as they're all colour coded. 

I then connected the pioneer to the car and everything fired up with sound etc, this was without engine running, I started the car and the stereo turned off and on again which is normal I think, I could hear a whine whilst the head unit was booting back up but when it turned on properly it went away, I didn't like that, also the steering wheel controls didn't work which also angered me as I followed everything by the book. On the steering wheel can bus there is 3 wires that aren't connected, speed, reverse and handbrake I haven't done anything to these as I don't want to use any of them. 

If anyone has any ideas or advice then please get in touch or reply on here as I'm so frustrated with it now. 

I don’t know how it is with the DAB230 as I have one in my Boxster but doesn’t have steering whee controls...... but... in my other car I have a Sony unit and steering wheel controls which you have to go into a menu on and then it asks you the press the button on the Sony screen and then press the correct button on the wheel.  Repeat for all the controls etc 

maybe it’s something along those  lines on the Pioneer.   

i didn’t fit the pioneer in mine. It was there when i bought it.  It’s alright but looks cheap and the buttons on front are horrible.  Sounds ok with the Focal speakers i fitted but the whole system isn’t as good as the other car which has speakers from the same range but a Sony Headunit.  I’m considering swapping the pioneer for something else.  

If a remember correctly when i fitted my Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAB, that had a cable for the handbrake. This had to be connected so you couldn't watch DVD's etc whilst driving, i.e. hand brake off. I bought a bypass cable which simulated the hand brake off all the time, so no restrictions on using anything on the head unit.

The reverse cable will be for a reversing camera, if fitted this tells the head unit to switch to show the output from a reverse camera when you select reverse gear.

Archived