Missing Equipment

Guvs

Am I missing something or are the following Not standard on my 981 ? (2012)

Front Fog lights ?

Low outside temperature warning buzzer ? (or even a dash board warning symbol)

the other thing that I don't understand is this car is made by Germans that have worse winters than us and yet it still took 1.5 hours for my windscreen washers to defrost when I came up to the AV8 cafe run !! is that covered by a optional extra in a "winter pack" or something ?

Guvs.

Frozen screen wash is just that - the water content is far too high. Someone went cheap and just added water. Add a couple of litres of full winter spec screen wash, drive the car for a bit to let it mix and then run the washers to flush out the water and you should be fine agin.

🏼+ use quality screen wash and not cheap Halfords rubbish,that clogs the lines. I use BMW stuff and with a 1:10 dilution is good to  - 10C.

my 12 S warns me on screen when temp drops below 3c i think and if i turn on the rear fog light manually the PDLS adapted the light pattern for fog.Lights are great as over 70/80 the pattern moves to a spot beam on fulls...

59 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

my 12 S warns me on screen when temp drops below 3c i think and if i turn on the rear fog light manually the PDLS adapted the light pattern for fog.Lights are great as over 70/80 the pattern moves to a spot beam on fulls...

That sounds clever 👍

Guvs.

2 hours ago, Carmine said:

Frozen screen wash is just that - the water content is far too high. Someone went cheap and just added water. Add a couple of litres of full winter spec screen wash, drive the car for a bit to let it mix and then run the washers to flush out the water and you should be fine agin.

1 hour ago, Pinewood said:

🏼+ use quality screen wash and not cheap Halfords rubbish,that clogs the lines. I use BMW stuff and with a 1:10 dilution is good to  - 10C.

Never put any in this Boxster let alone cheep windscreen washer fluid, always the Porsche stuff, the one with the awkward little mixer part of the bottle on the top, at first I thought I may of run out but i did confirm later it was full, I will get some after marker good strength mix and add it to mine.

Can you get heated windscreen washers as an optional extra ? Not that I'm thinking about getting it fitted I'll go for the above option.

Guvs.

39 minutes ago, Guvs said:

Can you get heated windscreen washers as an optional extra ? Not that I'm thinking about getting it fitted I'll go for the above option.

I have a sneaking feeling this was discussed several years ago, I think someone worked out the problem was the routing of the tubing, there's a relatively long length of tubing, say 3 ft, and the stuff therefore freezes inside it.  The washer nozzles aren't the problem, it's the tubes behind.  In normal cars you could run it through the engine bay but the Boxster is different!

I just checked online, there are various solutions from US and Canada where -20C is common for a month or two, heating washer water and heating wiper blades, though reading the reviews I wonder how many really work. I think the low-tech method of leaving an old towel over the windscreen at night might solve the majority of problems.

The screenwash needs to be rated for the local weather conditions. It's pretty much pointless to heat the screenwash as an alternative to using the correct grade because it will freeze on the windscreen and then the problem gets worse.

Heated washer jets have a negligible effect on the temperature of the screen wash that comes out; they're more there to prevent any frost/snow from blocking the path of the screen wash.

And to preempt something... some people say that you need to take windchill into account. No! Windchill only applies to animate objects. Just use a screenwash that is rated correctly and all should be fine.

13 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I have a sneaking feeling this was discussed several years ago, I think someone worked out the problem was the routing of the tubing, there's a relatively long length of tubing, say 3 ft, and the stuff therefore freezes inside it.  The washer nozzles aren't the problem, it's the tubes behind.  In normal cars you could run it through the engine bay but the Boxster is different!

Yes I can see that's a design fault as I have the same problem in the MG, Mid Engine, front Rad & windscreen washer bottle, you think they could of routed the washer pipes around or near the rad, or even better a heated wire around the pipes worked off the rear wind heater switch as do the wing mirrors, that's what I would do if I was designing cars.

Guvs.  

Standard washer jets are heated and always on with ignition.

The piping goes through the bonnet and it is usually the bit from body to bonnet that is prone to freezing (N/S bonnet hinge)

For PDLS and PDLS+ the front light beams change pattern according to speed for fog driving.  Well that's what the manual states, although I rarely use rear fog light.

9 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

I don't recall it happening in mine, must pay more attention. 

Poverty spec lamps on mine.

Archived