Back in the Room!!

pimp my box

Yesterday I picked up my new 718 Boxster full of toys, it felt good to be back after selling my 981 'S' special edition and buying my wife a Mini Cooper 'S' with the funds, since then I had a Scirocco GT, an Audi TT and a Mercedes SLC all really good cars. SLC had the handling pack fitted so never suffered the skittishness that they had a bit of a bad press for, SLC was first diesel car I ever owned (and probably the last of the stinky stuff) yet it was seriously fast, and I will miss the £30 a year road tax and the MPG I was getting and not having to look after a fabric hood.

First impression on drive home was that its a really nice place to sit and even going from a 'S' it still felt pretty fast, if I had one criticism it would be the PDK is too keen the change down a gear on the motorway, the SLC had nine gears and would stay in 9th when gently accelerating yet the Box seems to want to drop down to 6th even with the  gentlest tickle of the accelerator.

Good to see a lot of the old posters are still active on this site and I am really happy to be back!! 

Welcome back! Enjoy being back into Porsche ownership, what made you come back to the Marque?

I owned an SLK350 a few cars back and it was very competent, lacked the chassis finesse of the Boxster, and mines only a 987 and presuming the 718 is leaps ahead..

Welcome back after a good few years!

We have another member in a 718 in Cirencester (Darren - I can't remember his forum name though).  Monthly meetings at Sally Pussys Inn in RWB - keep an eye on the Meetings and Events section of the forum if you are interested...

I kept the SLC longer than normal and looked around at what I fancied, not a great deal of choice in 2 seater drop tops, I did look at the new Z4 but kept coming back to look at Boxsters. Although at the very top of my budget I remembered how much I enjoyed my old one. I have been very ill during 2019 and still in recovery and just thought sod the expense just do it, this time last year I thought I might not be around anymore...YOLO!

2 minutes ago, pimp my box said:

I kept the SLC longer than normal and looked around at what I fancied, not a great deal of choice in 2 seater drop tops, I did look at the new Z4 but kept coming back to look at Boxsters. Although at the very top of my budget I remembered how much I enjoyed my old one. I have been very ill during 2019 and still in recovery and just thought sod the expense just do it, this time last year I thought I might not be around anymore...YOLO!

Good shout, good health sir!

Welcome back from me too.

Like you, I had a couple of years away but at a recent sales incentive at my OPC, my will was weak & now I’m loving being in my 718. Can’t wait for the warmer weather to properly enjoy it.

As you do, I had a look on YouTube etc for reviews. A lot of em mention the sound of the 4 pot, but I must admit, after a week or so of “ critically listening” to it, I just thought sod it, the car is just so good I don’t care what the internet guys harp on about. Can’t say it bothers me in the slightest now.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome back, don't worry what others think about the sound of a 4 pot, we'll all be driving silent electric cars soon.

Guvs.

The purists are never happy, unless folks are driving an air cooled Porsche, without power steering and drum brakes. 

Like is short - enjoy your Boxster! 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:07 PM, Pinewood said:

The purists are never happy, unless folks are driving an air cooled Porsche.

Nothing winds a purist up more than mentioning they are all air cooled.  

What are fans and radiators for except air cooling!

Archived