Cat flange bolts

Duffy3074

Car at Porsche  in Edinburgh for a major service to keep the warranty up.

Cat nuts/bolts flagged up as corroded and quoted £590 to replace. 

Thats just short of £100 each.

Jings, crivvens, help ma boab!

I think I’ll just get the dremel out!

These are expensive cars to dealer maintain

:)

2 hours ago, T24RES said:

There are only two bolts on these so that makes it even better value 🤣

Feck me £150 a pop

Thats quite expensive!

:D

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

£50 + VAT anywhere else,  access is quite difficult if you are doing it yourself.  I had the same earlier in the year, you also need to order up the gaskets from parts dept

I’ve done it before without disturbing the gaskets (just do one at a time) so hoping to avoid that one

The cars still under warranty so I’m obliged to consider them for anything that gets flagged up unfortunately 

I’ll be doing the job (and the front discs/pads that they wanted £1k for!)

I did ask if they were covered under the warranty and told they weren’t so that makes it fair game for me. 
I’ll just replace them with stainless nuts/bolts as I did on my previous Boxsters

1 hour ago, zagamuffin said:

Interested Duffy , so can you do the work yourself while under warranty, I presume you just have to buy the parts from them so , good to hear that 

Yes.  I've always done odd jobs on mine, with genuine parts and Tonbridge seem more than happy with that.

2 hours ago, Duffy3074 said:

I did ask if they were covered under the warranty and told they weren’t so that makes it fair game for me. 
I’ll just replace them with stainless nuts/bolts as I did on my previous Boxsters

Consider brass nuts so different metallics , save ya binding issues .i did that on previous job on my Z4 

16 hours ago, Virglas said:

It’s an easy fix....my local exhaust/tyre company did it for me on my old 987. £30 cash.....gaskets were copper if I recall and didn’t need replacement. 

They did on mine because the clamp split in two while I was driving!

There's a recent thread on the PCGB forum Boxster section about 981 exhaust studs.  The thread includes a link to another thread on the subject in which the OP posted a very detailed description of how he dealt with it by making as press tool to get them out.  He included a drawing too.

3 hours ago, DRH986 said:

There's a recent thread on the PCGB forum Boxster section about 981 exhaust studs.  The thread includes a link to another thread on the subject in which the OP posted a very detailed description of how he dealt with it by making as press tool to get them out.  He included a drawing too.

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a look later albeit the dremel’s done the job previously 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 4:53 PM, Duffy3074 said:

Car at Porsche  in Edinburgh for a major service to keep the warranty up.

Cat nuts/bolts flagged up as corroded and quoted £590 to replace. 

Thats just short of £100 each.

Jings, crivvens, help ma boab!

I think I’ll just get the dremel out!

These are expensive cars to dealer maintain

Christ - that's ridiculous and taking the pi55 big time - I honestly don't know how a reputable dealer could even think of delivering such a stupid offer.  The front brake quote equally daft.

I have mine scheduled to do when it's next up on stands, as access with the wheels off is much better, so a good soaking of Plus Gas for a day or two just in case I can unscrew them before attacking it with the Dremel.

Brass nuts too & new gaskets.

I've done the pads all round for <£200 inc sensors, so shop around for your pads/discs & I used Brembo over the OEM ones.

Something quite refreshing about being OOW.. Out Of Warranty.

Any exhaust place or even local garage should have no issues doing this.  I had the PSE back boxes put on mine when the car was under 2 years old and even then they had to cut all the flange bolts off and knock them out.  I got charged £80 (2 hrs labour) at a local garage, all 4 were cut off and the exhaust removed and new one installed for that.

For any exhaust place having to cut off the bolts is pretty much par for the course I think.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Did you get a parts only quote?

No as I knew I’d just use The remnants of the stuff from the previous 3 Boxsters for the exhaust.

I’ll probably go Sebro/textar for discs and pads and just get them wherever’s cheapest 

Archived