Bosch Aerotwin retrofit wipers

edc

Anyone using the AR22 / AR21 Aerotwin wipers on their 986? Do they sweep the screen ok? 

Just fitted the Aerotwin and the retrofit version to a Honda an Merc but the catalogues show these don't fit 986 but the arms are the same style of hook so in theory should be fine. 

5 minutes ago, edc said:

Anyone using the AR22 / AR21 Aerotwin wipers on their 986? Do they sweep the screen ok? 

Just fitted the Aerotwin and the retrofit version to a Honda an Merc but the catalogues show these don't fit 986 but the arms are the same style of hook so in theory should be fine. 

I bought these  - thought worth a punt and they fit and work perfectly Click me for ebay wipers

I had a twin on the drivers side (don't care if my passenger can see) and they are great, but like all Bosch blades only last a year if the car is a daily. Very good performance when new though. I opt for 20 inch for the passenger side which stops it rubbing on the bottom of the window seal. 

I found aero blades lifted at higher speeds, so opted for the Bosch blade with deflector (drivers side). It sweeps water away better. 

Also used AutoGlym glass polish and rain x equivalent so the wipers aren't needed in light showers. The angle of the windscreen and aerodynamics of the car push the droplets away (yes I think I'm in a jet fighter) 😂

14 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

I found aero blades lifted at higher speeds, so opted for the Bosch blade with deflector (drivers side). It sweeps water away better. 

Also used AutoGlym glass polish and rain x equivalent so the wipers aren't needed in light showers. The angle of the windscreen and aerodynamics of the car push the droplets away (yes I think I'm in a jet fighter) 😂

Did they lift and vibrate or just lift and not clear properly? 

27 minutes ago, Apollo000 said:

I bought these  - thought worth a punt and they fit and work perfectly Click me for ebay wipers

I've got some similar cheapy ones from quite a few years ago on at the moment. 

28 minutes ago, GmanB said:

I had a twin on the drivers side (don't care if my passenger can see) and they are great, but like all Bosch blades only last a year if the car is a daily. Very good performance when new though. I opt for 20 inch for the passenger side which stops it rubbing on the bottom of the window seal. 

I think I would buy them an inch shorter for both blades. 

£16 from Euros for the 21 and 20" Aerotwin blades. Just don't search by your car reg. 

35 minutes ago, edc said:

I think I would buy them an inch shorter for both blades. 

I've not noticed a need for an inch less on the drivers side I have to say. Mine are pretty wobbly now and will need replacing soon, so I will check the clearance while in poor condition. I think I'm going to try the PIAA wipers next anyway, as I'll have ceramic coating on it in the spring. Just hope the blades hold out until then. 

I must admit, I'm not a fan of any of the so-called water repellants or even ceramic coatings on the windscreen. I've found that they leave a haze for a split second after each wipe which I find really annotying. I use Autoglym glass cleaner (the cream stuff) and use it with a wet cloth to apply on a wet windscreen. I find putting it on wet clears all grease/traffic film and makes the wipers run very smoothly. 

Isn't the haze caused by bad preparation before the repellant/ceramic coating is applied? Honestly I've not thought about the ceramic coating doing this... I could always ask them to apply it to the side windows instead of the windscreen if it's a known thing.

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Isn't the haze caused by bad preparation before the repellant/ceramic coating is applied? Honestly I've not thought about the ceramic coating doing this... I could always ask them to apply it to the side windows instead of the windscreen if it's a known thing.

I don't believe it is. It is simply the water not being able to disperse on the glass due to the high levels of water repellancy. 

One of my friends got ceramic coating done to his wife's Mini. It did the same thing - hazing for a split second. 

9 hours ago, edc said:

I could cope with that as I don't often drive in the rain anyway 😄

Pinewood said he used a rain x type product. I've only used actual rain x myself and it was about 20 years ago or more but the wipers struggled to clear the glass properly at speed. I has this on a couple of cars and assumed it was caused by the rain x rather than the wipers. It didn't really matter because the rain x let you see fine with wipers on or off.

yes I had Gtechiq on mine (they have two variants) and if applied correctly it means that you basically dont have to even use the wipers....

Never rememeber having any issues with it i.e no squeaking or haz or anything

Applied properly there is a glass cleaner you use first that I think polishes the screen, then the coating afterwards...lasts about 6-12 months depending on mileage

Just now, Stuart21UK said:

yes I had Gtechiq on mine (they have two variants) and if applied correctly it means that you basically dont have to even use the wipers....

Never rememeber having any issues with it i.e no squeaking or haz or anything

Applied properly there is a glass cleaner you use first that I think polishes the screen, then the coating afterwards...lasts about 6-12 months depending on mileage

I presume this includes sitting stationary at a set of traffic lights for example? 

I used the Rain X on a car of mine a few years ago and it made my wipers screech !  Perhaps it was my bad prepping but surely you clean the window thoroughly and apply as per the instructions , even I surely couldn't get that wrong !  :lol:

1 hour ago, The Caped Crusader said:

I presume this includes sitting stationary at a set of traffic lights for example? 

The stuff I had yes. It didnt make the screen perfectly clear but you could see straight through the water beads. I started using it in anger because my wipers stopped working and I couldn't fix them. Obviously if you had dirt on the screen it stopped you seeing. But a quick stop to wipe and I was away again.

I switched to the flat blades last year and they have been largely successful.  A little bit of judder on the bottom of the driver's side in the first half of the arc when quite dry and as with a conventional blade the passenger side doesn't quite sit on the screen at the very outer tip when in the parked position.  I don't notice the tow large lumps of plastic where they connect to the arms.

I also went back to using Rain-X this summer for the first time in many years.  It takes a bit of getting used to but above about 20 mph the screen clears and stays very clear.  It is disconcerting not to have wipers running when it is raining to start with.  The occasional sweep of the wipers in slow traffic is not a problem.  Regular reapplication is needed particularly when lots of flies get plasters on the screen.

Hmmm some interesting views. I'm getting paint correction and ceramic coating done my car in the spring and part of the package is to have the windscreen ceramic coated. I have to say I'm not terribly keen on having a haze when wiping, so I may ask them to do the door windows instead. 

I could then stick on PIAA wipers, which I believe come with a coating sachet and slowly spread on more when used. If I don't like it, I can change back to Bosch.

5 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

yeah relatively true you can see through the droplets well enough and certianly no worse than having wipers running (running wipers swipe intermitently of course, so even with wipers 'on' the screen is never free of water when you havent treated it :) )

27 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Go to 2min 40 in the video. I'm sure I can see haze for the split second I was talking about. Main thing is, if you're happy with using ceramic coating in lieu of wipers then fair enough. Got to say, I'm just not convinced. When you have a look at the windscreen in the video when he's doing 40mph, it's simply not clear enough. It's all a bit snake oil to me. 

I recently tried Trico standard wipers on my car. Trico are an American company and they're available for less then £5 from a local motor factors near my work. Got to say, I've been well impressed. They are no different to genuine Porsche ones in terms of performance. The passenger one did have the curve as per the genuine one but I just swapped the rubber out with the old one. Takes five mins. 

Archived