Born Slippy

Stuart21UK

so answers on a postcard...

about half way in to the video...my little broan trouser moment 🙃

I wasn't really accelerating hard, there wasn't any standing water I could see...the tyres are Winter Continental N Rated (not new, but definately legal), no adverse camber or muck on the road

I have had a moment or two on that same stretch before, on both the inside and outside lanes so maybe its the surface? It doesnt look particularly odd in any way though...

Was it just the wet and the angle of attack combined with a small amount of acceleration and angle of steering?

You're not far off of listening to the perfect track 😂

As someone else mentioned, a good chance of it being diesel. I got caught out backing coming on to a roundabout last year in similar conditions. Was like being on ice, went straight on, luckily I was in the left had lane on a dual carriageway & the roundabout was clear, otherwise it would have been a bit of a mess!

Happens to me all the time and is simply a consequence of the laws of grip and torque - oh and cold tyres...

If that was diesel I doubt even the excellent Porsche electronics would have helped you, plus I don't see anything visible which you almost certainly would (you'd smell it on a bike too)

I presume you were in road mode?  A perfect example of why general driving in the wet is not done in sport + modes.

5 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Happens to me all the time and is simply a consequence of the laws of grip and torque - oh and cold tyres...

If that was diesel I doubt even the excellent Porsche electronics would have helped you, plus I don't see anything visible which you almost certainly would (you'd smell it on a bike too)

I presume you were in road mode?  A perfect example of why general driving in the wet is not done in sport + modes.

yeah like I said Ive had the same problem on both the left and right hand carriageways and over a period of time....pretty sure its not diesel

cannot rememebr if I had the Sport button pressed....

I struggle with the thought of the Porsche Experience instructors pushing you really to lean on the PSM system and then you have little moments like this where the system seems to break away at the slightest thing...I'd understand if it was diesel (sure it isnt) or I was really pushing on...

14 hours ago, Topbox said:

Maybe a very polished road surface from HGV on the same track exiting the roundabout????

nope...dont think so and liek I say I've had it in the outside lane at the same point and HGVs simply dont use it

10 hours ago, red rocket said:

Looked like there had been some sort of work going on there - cones on both sides of the road - so maybe some muck left behind?

nope...newish road but built a couple of years ago and no roadworks since

6 hours ago, Gutley said:

@Stuart21UK Looks like the clock on your dash cam has reset

the one failing of the dashcam is that I cant get it to hold the correct date and time so I just leave it to read wha tit wants

3 hours ago, Corkscrew said:

Well held @Stuart21UK 👍 Worn surface, wet surface, fat tyres and throttle. Not necessarily in that order😁

dont thinks its a worn surface, maybe the other aspects are at fault

100% diesel....probably! Just before the slip the wipers clear the screen. If you pause the video there you can see that there is a "shine" to the left-hand lane that isn't present on the right (implying something on the road surface)

Either that or your music choice was upsetting the Porsche-gods and they were trying to kill you!

On 2/17/2020 at 10:02 AM, Stuart21UK said:

I struggle with the thought of the Porsche Experience instructors pushing you really to lean on the PSM system and then you have little moments like this where the system seems to break away at the slightest thing...I'd understand if it was diesel (sure it isnt) or I was really pushing on...

I had a brown trouser moment last year when I was powering briskly out of a slow corner and the back end completely let go, on later self analysing the incident clearly I must have planted the throttle too early but it got me thinking ‘why didn’t the traction control limit the wheel torque once any slip started?’, in my case the cornering speed was much lower than yours (tighter bend) so even more reason for the PSM to intervene I would have thought.

7 hours ago, Quibble said:

100% diesel....probably! Just before the slip the wipers clear the screen. If you pause the video there you can see that there is a "shine" to the left-hand lane that isn't present on the right (implying something on the road surface)

looking at it again you may be correct...the roaad surface is definately not right, whether that be poor surface or a spillage but I've had it in the right hand lane too before

I drove in pretty bad wet conditions today with lots of standing water and whilst doing so it did come to mind that whilst I was driving carefully not one road I drove, most being more minor A roads did I ever feel at risk, like the other road, of losing the back end...

All I notice is that you were coming off a roundabout in the wet, and that really seems to be a kiss of death scenario for some Boxsters here.

No idea if it helps but my father has pointed out that our 150m-long hardstanding driveway, while suffering a bit from wet and frost, is particularly chewed up at the point halfway down where the neighbour turns off into his garage. Something about the angle of the wheels and thus slight scrubbing motion being much more abrasive than just driving in a straight line.  Wonder if something like that happens (on a far smaller scale) on roundabout exits.  Or if it's purely weight transfer and drivers accelerating when not yet in a fully straight line?

Random observations to throw in to the discussion.

Archived