Ouch, rear bumper damage.....

the baron

Spent a lovely day in Bourton on the Water today, got back to my car to find a huge dent in the rear bumper, don’t think it will scrub out so on the hunt for a new bumper, don’t you just love other courteous drivers

It if is just a dent rather than split or broken, the right body shop with heat on the PU should be able to get it back to shape and possibly without even damaging the paint unless it is already scuffed. Searching 'arctic silver 986' on Douglas Valley breakers eBay shop turned up 2 pre facelift rear bumpers just on page 1.

Good Luck!

9 hours ago, the baron said:

Spent a lovely day in Bourton on the Water today, got back to my car to find a huge dent in the rear bumper, don’t think it will scrub out so on the hunt for a new bumper, don’t you just love other courteous drivers

I reversed in to a wooden post several years back in my Boxster. It had a huge football sized sent in the side of it and also a large crack. I ended up having it repaired & painted by a local bodyshop (not one of the insurance approved places!) for the princely sum of £300 and it still looks fantastic now.

Might be an option for you rather than sourcing a new one.

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Has anyone tried the hair dryer or hot water method of getting dents out of a bumper, if so any tips?

No, but have used it on PVC window fascia/soffit in a previous life lol. Get it on hot and keep it on the area and it may come back, plastic has a memory and you may be lucky 😉 Good luck 👍

3 hours ago, the baron said:

Has anyone tried the hair dryer or hot water method of getting dents out of a bumper, if so any tips?

I’ve done it on my daughters Micra and brothers BMW bumpers.  I was able to pull nearly all of it out on the Micra.  But the BM had some counters on it that were a bit more difficult to get out.

With some proper shaped tool might have helped on the BM instead a piece of wood I had laying about.

Anyway you haven’t got much to loose, so I would definitely give it a try.  Just make sure you have access to the dent from the inside.  Then try and push in the centre of the dent.  Once it starts going, it will just pop out.

good luck with it.

I used the hot water and hairdryer and popped it back out, what I didnt realise is that there is another skin so makes it very difficult to press it out from the rear, I ended up using a screw driver to wedge up in-between the two skins and it worked a treat, the paint is hazed and cracked in a few places and there are two parts where the paint has actually come off but I can touch that back in until I get around to getting it resprayed at a later dat, so chuffed.

Will try and post a few pics up of before and after later on.

2 hours ago, the baron said:

I used the hot water and hairdryer and popped it back out, what I didnt realise is that there is another skin so makes it very difficult to press it out from the rear, I ended up using a screw driver to wedge up in-between the two skins and it worked a treat, the paint is hazed and cracked in a few places and there are two parts where the paint has actually come off but I can touch that back in until I get around to getting it resprayed at a later dat, so chuffed.

Will try and post a few pics up of before and after later on.

Great work well done. 👍 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:57 AM, the baron said:

My mrs reversed into a tow bar on a Landy and put a bit dent in mine. I parked up in the sun and when I returned a few hours later it had popped itself back into shape! So yes, gentle heating does work but mine also needed a bit of cosmetic paint as it had cracked 

Archived