Fuel

Andy9376

6 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Tyre pressures

That's an interesting point as you'd have to swap my tyres for tank tracks before I realized a difference on account of my spirited mood on any given drive affecting my fuel economy more that anything else.

How much of a variation have you detected?

Would a damaged MAF do this? Something that tells the engine there is too much air so it needs to put in more fuel to compensate?  Or air hose leak somewhere?

I'm not great at all this modern sensor malarky (oh those days of feeler gauges for points) but I could imagine something like that.

7 hours ago, antjrice said:

That's an interesting point as you'd have to swap my tyres for tank tracks before I realized a difference on account of my spirited mood on any given drive affecting my fuel economy more that anything else.

How much of a variation have you detected?

I check my fleet every 2-3 weeks so can't say have noticed any higher than usual fuel readings. The diesel X3 3.0d gives me 36mpg no mater how I drive and the Porsche, well.... What's mpg? 

The town Golf always high 30's unless the kids (young adults) get hold of it

1 hour ago, Andy9376 said:

Thanks a lot for the replies all. It’s probably doing around 60 miles less on a full tank. I did have a new tyre fitted two weeks ago too.

Brakes binding ?  Gentle run around the block, are all the wheels the same temp ? 

I think what would be great was a list of let’s say reference values for live data.   I have this for our M3 so can see if anything is going wrong or has failed 

nominal long term fuel trims

O2 voltages 

etc 

I can read those values with my cheap obd2 and the Car Scanner app but I don’t really know what the values should be.  

be great to get some nominal readings to compare to.  

11 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Mine does do worse MPG in cold weather. Used every day, so not just for long journeys. Think the fact they take longer than many cars to warm up doesn't help.

I did wonder but I’ve never encountered it in previous winters. 

13 hours ago, Andy9376 said:

I did wonder but I’ve never encountered it in previous winters. 

I only ever fill up when near empty, and then brim it. And zero the MPG reader. Only been used around London in the winter, and get 15.7 mpg. 3.4S PDK.

Tracking MPG is a good idea but you need to do it for a long period of time to make any meaningful conclusions. Logging the type of journeys done since fill-up is also necessary as cars will do better on longer trips. And an accurate MPG measure is always brim-to-brim when filling; don't rely on the instruments in the car as you have no way of knowing how accurate they are. 

FWIW I did this for a number of years with my old car (944 S2) and it always returned about 10% less MPG in the winter than in the summer. The explanation is that colder air is denser and thus harder to push out of the way when moving down the road, so the engine has to work harder to maintain speed. A car will often be fractionally livelier in colder weather as well as the denser air allows more fuel to be burned in each combustion cycle, meaning potentially more power if you want to use it. 

(I also tracked the difference between Super Plus fuel and regular and discovered that Super Plus gave me about a 10% increase in fuel economy. Given that it costs about 5% more this made it a cheaper option, as well as needing to refuel less often.) 

If you are down 60miles on a tank at this time of year I'd be asking what else has changed in the car - the new tyre (singular? Surely you'd change them in pairs?) would be a good starting point. Check the pressure in it, and in the other tyres as well. 

8 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

I only ever fill up when near empty, and then brim it. And zero the MPG reader. Only been used around London in the winter, and get 15.7 mpg. 3.4S PDK.

Whoosh - that's thirsty! 2.7 Gen1 Manual here and mine is currently showing 30.5mpg. And I live in London ....  

Archived