Re-fitting Summer Wheels

R1HJK

So I’m probably going to put my summer wheels back on soon or get a mobile fitter to come round. Does it matter which side the wheels are fitted on?
e.g. do the wheels that were originally fitted on the right hand side need to go back on the same side.

2 minutes ago, R1HJK said:

So I’m probably going to put my summer wheels back on soon or get a mobile fitter to come round. Does it matter which side the wheels are fitted on?
e.g. do the wheels that were originally fitted on the right hand side need to go back on the same side.

Probably depends whether your tyres are directional. Mine are on the 987.

If in doubt on how to tell: 

https://www.barum-tyres.com/car/expert-advice/safety-driving-tips/tyre-direction

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/directional-tires

I always stick a post-it to each wheel when when taking it off saying which corner it was. Stop me having to think too hard we re-installing them

My summer  wheels are 20", my winters on the car at present are 19", with the conditions of the roads, potholes etc I will probably leave them on as it looks as if any serious driving will not be allowed until much later in the year.

I find Tip X is brilliant for marking up on the inside of my tyres all sorts of information.

Guvs. 

If there are no arrows on the side walls - it doesn't matter.

I use track bags, although the 20' rears do not fit I am still in the habit of putting the bag with the rim.

My summers are currently sat in the lounge waiting to go back on, although I think this year I will try some SIO2 coating before they are fitted.

As Patt says,  there will be an indication on the sidewall, usually an arrow with ‘rotation’ written by it if they are directional.  If no arrow then it doesn’t matter which wheel.  I don’t think Pzeros are directional.

19 hours ago, R1HJK said:

Unfortunately I didn’t mark them when I put them in storage. They are standard Pirelli P Zeros which I’m pretty sure are asymmetrical 

Rookie mistake.  I chalk the inside walls as I take them off.  I always forget to take a piece of chalk with me but there's plenty on the garden around these parts. 🙂 

BTW, yes, they should go back in the same places.  If you don't and hear a noise like a failed wheel bearing, try swapping from side to side before fitting a new wheel bearing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived