storage tyre pressures

JohnSyn

what pressure do people put in their tyres when not using the car for a while? I have never done this but it looks like my Boxster is going to stay in the garage for a few more weeks!

I store my winter wheels at the usual pressure.

The car however does get moved about to mow lawn etc just so they stay round.  That said it also gets used for the shopping run.

I'm planning to do some work and clean her over Easter

1 hour ago, Patt said:

The car however does get moved about to mow lawn

Bl**dy he'll that's clever. Must look at the options list more closely.

Well someone had to bite, didn't they?!:whistle1:

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

Well someone had to bite, didn't they?!:whistle1:

Personally I noted and then discarded as too obvious :P

If (as I have read it) you are talking about storing your car wheels on and are talking about the wheels on the car the the general advise is to increase pressure to help avoid flat spots.

This particular classic car storage place recommends 1.5 times normal.  http://www.cumbriacarstorage.co.uk/indoor_car_storage.html

4 minutes ago, Greenman said:

f (as I have read it) you are talking about storing your car wheels on and are talking about the wheels on the car

Yep...thanks for info

This crossed my mind as I am about to put my summers tyres on ( optimistically)  One and a half seems a bit high to me, i found that link from Cumbira. Here is a link from Continental which suggest just 3 psi over but never more than the recommended maximum cold inflation pressure which is often found on the side wall.

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/all-about-tyres/tyre-damages/flat-spotting

Checking my Michelin's the Max. indicated pressure is 50psi over a normal driving pressure of 30psi (fronts) so maybe the advice from cumbria car storage is not so far off, as it would be 5 psi under the max.  in my case

4 hours ago, red rocket said:

He’s got a very low front splitter😀

I’ve stored many cars over many years and you only need to over inflate tyres by 15psi if your storing without use for >1 year IMHO......I’ve just got the boxster out after 6 months and I overinflated by 4psi, pressure is now almost spot on and only needed adjusting +/- 1psi on each wheel..........the jury is also out on raising a car as shown on the vid /Leaving on axle stands as the consensus is that is causes more harm than good as it stresses the suspension in a position it was not designed to “sit” in..........if you storing for up to 12 months 4-6psi over inflated tyres, battery maintainer and try to top up the fuel tank is all you need to worry about ..............

ps the last time I has problems with flatted out tyres the car had been stood for nearly 3 years, within 2 miles of driving it was back to normal......the guy also fails to differentiate run flats (and he has a BMW on the ramp behind him)....they require less over inflation for obvious reasons but they will still lose pressure so no harm in overinflating them as well.

C 50% over standard seems overkill to me .......not sure it would do any harm if your pump will got that high ie close to 50psi.....the rears in my 993 are 44 standard I think......I would not fancy putting them up to 60 ..........I usually just put 4psi more in them with no problems and that often stood for 10 months - 12 months without moving........ The main thing is to overinflated them if the car is going to be stored for a few months as they will lose pressure............by putting c 4psi over you cash safely run the car after the lay up......if you go 15 psi you will need to remember to deflate them before you drive any distance or they will wear unevenly 😉

Thanks for the info chaps

I got the car out of the garage yesterday and ran it up and down the drive a few times. Just pumped tyres up to normal pressure as they had only lost around 1-1.5 psi. Will do the same in a couple of weeks  

Archived