In the market

Dazzevans

Hi

i have just been looking at a 04 Boxster on eBay. It ends soon so I emailed the seller to ask about it. He says it has full Porsche service history and over £5,000 worth BBC of invoices. Yet when I look at the MOT history online it hasn’t had a green pass since the first one and multiple fails. Should I be turned off by that? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

Hi

i have just been looking at a 04 Boxster on eBay. It ends soon so I emailed the seller to ask about it. He says it has full Porsche service history and over £5,000 worth BBC of invoices. Yet when I look at the MOT history online it hasn’t had a green pass since the first one and multiple fails. Should I be turned off by that? 

Yes, be turned off!  Multiple MOT faikures suggests a car which has not been treasured unlike those belonging to most of our members. Don't be rushed, there are plenty of cars out there. Have you checked the for sale section on here? Give us some more info on the car you're keen on though (ebay link) and our 986 aficionados will give you a better steer. In general terms look for a car with good hidtory snd evidence of recent work particularly on items such as suspension. Also helps to know what your budget is. 

What did it fail on.?

While it could be an indicator of sloppy servicing and maintenance its not always the case, the same as cars that pass every year with no advisories aren't necessarily good ones. 

12 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

Hi

Definitely yes, you should be concerned.

32 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

Hi

It is a px at a super car dealer

As long as the items get fixed when highlighted when MOT'ed and there's not months between the Fail and Pass then its not necessarily a bad indication but it certainly can be, and if it seems to be a common theme then maybe steer clear.

Dont be put off by high milers they can be better looked after cars, mine is one of the first in the UK, 1997 (Jan) and has done 208,000 and it very rarely fails the MOT, I think the last 6yrs its passed straight away.

The biggest thing on these cars is the suspension, so check for knocks and bangs, best done with the roof up. And you are looking for a big history file.

30 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Towards the bottom of the home page

PM if interested in a 2002 Speed Yellow 986 S

Cheers

Yep. Can’t find the for sale section! Old eyes maybe?

12 minutes ago, the baron said:

The biggest thing on these cars is the suspension, so check for knocks and bangs, best done with the roof up. And you are looking for a big history file.

Even if the car drives ok I would be very wary of buying any 986 with original suspension components still fitted, unless this is factored into the asking price. 

As you say, a big history file is key here and well worth scrutinising it properly to see what has and what hasn't been replaced. 

5 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

Yeah that’s a nice looking car, clearly looked after but I’m a little concerned about the mileage. Also I cannot seem to reply on there. 

We normally advise not to worry too much about mileage if car has been well looked after. Members on here have cars on 150,000+. You may not be able to reply because you don't have enough posts yet, but you can probably pm the seller. I'll tag him here so he knows anyway @starbuckhouse

4 minutes ago, red rocket said:

We normally advise not to worry too much about mileage if car has been well looked after. Members on here have cars on 150,000+. You may not be able to reply because you don't have enough posts yet, but you can probably pm the seller. I'll tag him here so he knows anyway @starbuckhouse

It’s at the top end of my budget too, and 320 miles from me!

16 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

Excuse my ignorance being a newbie, but on starbuckhouse’s post there are some three digit codes posted. What are these?

Presume you mean the option codes. Don't know the letters but

235 change of tyre manufacturer on production line

403 Pressure cast 17 inch wheels

424 Automatic heating control

502 Production in Valmet, Finland

551 Wind deflector

567 Windshield green graduated tint

680 Digital sound package

692 Remote cd changer 6 disc

946 seat cover cloth/leather/leatherette

2 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

Thanks Scuba. I’m still trying to convince my wife that it’s a good idea to have a second “summer” car. 

Tell her it's cheaper than a mistress.😉

Archived