Rear control arm replacements

03slatt

6 minutes ago, sa utah said:

I’d say do both.  You’ll need an alignment so makes sense to get them both swapped I think. I’m a bit OCD with such things so would end up stripping the whole back end and renewing old stuff.  

+1....I'm sure the other side wont be far behind!

I would say the same, do both. If one is starting to squeak the other may not be too far off doing the same, and of course the fact you need to get it aligned afterwards.

Factor in that you may find the tuning forks need replacing as well once you start taking things apart.

2 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

I would say the same, do both. If one is starting to squeak the other may not be too far off doing the same, and of course the fact you need to get it aligned afterwards.

Factor in that you may find the tuning forks need replacing as well once you start taking things apart.

+1 maybe time for a small overhaul 

42 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

What are the signs the tuning forks need replacing? 

Personally if they are the same age as the control arms, i would just replace them. You will be removing the bolt that connects them to the control arm, so only 1 bolt left to take out IIRC.

Last thing you want is to only replace the control arms and then have to do the tuning forks as the squeak is still there.

Its the bush on the end that wears out. Autodoc have the TRW rears at £72 each 

36 minutes ago, 03slatt said:

That's great thanks, 

Last question has anyone on here used spyder performance on ebay for parts? I've read good things on other forums. 

Used them for my front control arms, look pretty much identical to the originals minus the stamps. Seem good quality and price.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, 03slatt said:

Hi all, I've got a squeak from the passanger side rear control arm, it gets worse in warm weather.

This squeak is quite a common problem and is related to the ball joint lubrication not being sufficient or past it.

If there is no play in the ball joint and the rubber cover that protects it is intact, you can sort the squeak by injecting some grease or oil into the ball joint using a syringe. You can then seal the small hole left by the syringe with some instant gasket or black sealant.

I got the squeak on all 4 corners at different times last summer during the hot weather. After having the joints checked by a mechanic they were all intact with no play.

I tried to inject grease but it's not easy using a syringe as the needle is too small for it to flow through. So instead I used engine oil (a trick shown me my an experienced indy mechanic).

Since doing this the squeak has not returned on any corner.

13 minutes ago, dim33 said:

This squeak is quite a common problem and is related to the ball joint lubrication not being sufficient or past it.

If there is no play in the ball joint and the rubber cover that protects it is intact, you can sort the squeak by injecting some grease or oil into the ball joint using a syringe. You can then seal the small hole left by the syringe with some instant gasket or black sealant.

I got the squeak on all 4 corners at different times last summer during the hot weather. After having the joints checked by a mechanic they were all intact with no play.

I tried to inject grease but it's not easy using a syringe as the needle is too small for it to flow through. So instead I used engine oil (a trick shown me my an experienced indy mechanic).

Since doing this the squeak has not returned on any corner.

I did try this but it didn't seem to work, there is a bit of play and a small knock as well, I've replaced most of the other suspension parts except coffin arms and tuning forks so I'll give them a go, ordered x2 rear coffin arms for £110 so can't go wrong with that! 

I don't mind taking things apart multiple times as I find it quite enjoyable I might be mad but it gives me something to do. If anyone wants to give anything a go I'D suggest investing in an impact wrench it saves so much time undoing corroded nuts and bolts. Total list on lockdown maintenence is:

Both aircon condensers 

Both rear springs 

Both front springs 

Front brakes discs and pads 

Full service 

All four droplinks 

Antiroll bar bushes front and rear 

Drivebelt

All this work was done on my drive at a fraction of the cost of a garage all using either decent aftermarket or oem parts, can't imagine I've spent anymore than £5-600. 

@03slatt Man Maths is alive and well!  I reckon even with after market parts you are pretty close to you quoted budget just on the first 4 items.  Cracking work list though.  How easy did the strut come out of the rear upright in the picture?

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@03slatt Man Maths is alive and well!  I reckon even with after market parts you are pretty close to you quoted budget just on the first 4 items.  Cracking work list though.  How easy did the strut come out of the rear upright in the picture?

I did get some really cheap condensers (£24 each from auto doc) not sure how long they will last.

it came out fairly easily, you just have to loosen and take out most of the rear suspension parts as well as the drive shaft, it looks quite daunting but in reality it's probably only 15 nuts and bolts. I'd probably say it took an hour to remove everything and 45 mins to put it back together. 

It also helps to mark out all the alignment nuts and bolts as Mr Tyre do a free alignment check and as long as its right in the first place you won't need to pay! 

• 2 weeks later...

Got round to replacing both rear control arms, it's a fairly easy job as long as you have a ball joint separator. 

Unfortunately the squeak is still there, having inspected all the bushings and ball joints I can safely say the car has deffinately been garaged most of its life as they all look fine.

I have changed my rear ARB bushes but it's got me thinking I may need to grease them? So I'll give that a try failing that I've read some of the 981 guys have problems with squeaky rear struts that just need lubricating at the top so I may give that a try also.  

On 5/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, 03slatt said:

IMG_20200522_222024_compress5.jpg

Going to be changing my springs soon, what springs did you fit and did you need to disconnect the drive shaft at the gearbox end? 

Archived