Finally got my first 986 :)

Nadeem

Thank you to everyone for your advice, I finally picked this 986 up a few days ago. 2000MY 3.2, FSH, 103K, IMS, RMS, Clutch kit, fly wheel changed at 82k...insurance quotes were all over the place...1091-290. Now just waiting to drive it....don't like quick/short shift, thinking of returning back to original? Any tips on pros/cons of doing that would certainly be much appreciated.....also will change rear lights back to original.

When's the next ride?  :)

IMG-20200517-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200517-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20200517-WA0013.jpg

Looks good. I love that colour - does it have amber headlights? You are going to grow to dislike cleaning those wheels! I have them on my 996 and found the 987 wheels a lot easier...

re the short shift, what is it you don’t like about it? I have just changed from standard to short, with quality metal fittings/bushes and it is very good. The adjustment is very fine, or at least was on mine. I marked the cables with a marker pen but that soon rubbed off. It took a couple of tweeks to get it right. 

The actual instal is easy and there are plenty of videos on the subject. 

The 6 speed 'box take a bit of getting used to and 2nd will nearly always be baulky when it is cold.  Granted I have a standard shift but I imagine a short shift would exaggerate this but if you are not afraid to get stuck in with the tools yourself, check out all the linkage and lubricate and clean to see if it improves.

Re the lights, I tracked down the previous owner of my car a few weeks ago who had swapped the original rear lights to facelift ones (which I reckon work better with silver) so I could try to put you in touch, otherwise there are loads out there with the salavge/breakers.

Above all enjoy, and welcome.

Welcome @Nadeem

grest motor you have there! I can see why you’d go back to more period correct tail lights, and wondered would you leave the centre brake clear. I like it. 

If you decide to sell your short shift kit, Would you message me please? I miss having one in my 2.7. 

Enjoy your ride, Sir!

nice looking car and congratulations. Tell us where you are based, as there will be lots of socially distanced meets on the horizon

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Pretty car!

Consider changing your short shift for a 9x7 shifter rather than the 986, apparently a happy medium between the two. 

Most definitely, it is was I used. Best of both worlds and an easy swap

Hello! 

Nice car and well done! If you do sell the rear lights, I am interested as I bought my silver 2003 2.7 last month with a chipped one! 

The earlier cars are a bit prettier, but look better with the original lights.

Many thanks 

Berni

6 hours ago, Pinewood said:

nice looking car and congratulations. Tell us where you are based, as there will be lots of socially distanced meets on the horizon

Thank you...I'm just outside of Birmingham,  pretty central to travel out to most parts :)

6 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Welcome @Nadeem

grest motor you have there! I can see why you’d go back to more period correct tail lights, and wondered would you leave the centre brake clear. I like it. 

If you decide to sell your short shift kit, Would you message me please? I miss having one in my 2.7. 

Enjoy your ride, Sir!

Thank you Sir for your reply....I will reach out to once the shirt shift is out 👍

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The 6 speed 'box take a bit of getting used to and 2nd will nearly always be baulky when it is cold.  Granted I have a standard shift but I imagine a short shift would exaggerate this but if you are not afraid to get stuck in with the tools yourself, check out all the linkage and lubricate and clean to see if it improves.

Re the lights, I tracked down the previous owner of my car a few weeks ago who had swapped the original rear lights to facelift ones (which I reckon work better with silver) so I could try to put you in touch, otherwise there are loads out there with the salavge/breakers.

Above all enjoy, and welcome.

Many thanks for the tips, much appreciated...I have already purchased a set of rear lights...just waiting to receive delivery :)

7 hours ago, TV8 said:

Looks good. I love that colour - does it have amber headlights? You are going to grow to dislike cleaning those wheels! I have them on my 996 and found the 987 wheels a lot easier...

re the short shift, what is it you don’t like about it? I have just changed from standard to short, with quality metal fittings/bushes and it is very good. The adjustment is very fine, or at least was on mine. I marked the cables with a marker pen but that soon rubbed off. It took a couple of tweeks to get it right. 

The actual instal is easy and there are plenty of videos on the subject. 

Thank you for your response....I've been driving for 32 years, and it's the first time I'm struggling to get the car in gear :( itsit's not as smooth as I would like, I drove a 2.7 stock and found it very smooth in changing up and and down but I find the shirt shift rather clunky. ..not sure if a tweak will fix it or its supposed to be like that...I will get my mechanic to check it out as I'm done with tools now....although I'd love to do stuff on it myself...maybe with time :)

1 hour ago, Nadeem said:

Thank you for your response....I've been driving for 32 years, and it's the first time I'm struggling to get the car in gear :( itsit's not as smooth as I would like, I drove a 2.7 stock and found it very smooth in changing up and and down but I find the shirt shift rather clunky. ..not sure if a tweak will fix it or its supposed to be like that...I will get my mechanic to check it out as I'm done with tools now....although I'd love to do stuff on it myself...maybe with time :)

Struggling all the time, including with the engine off and with hot gearbox oil?

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Struggling all the time, including with the engine off and with hot gearbox oil?

Hmm... knackered linkage/cable, clutch worn or tired front engine mount??  Check service history for any of these.  These 'boxes do respond to heel toeing to smooth out changes if you have that skill.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Hmm... knackered linkage/cable, clutch worn or tired front engine mount??  Check service history for any of these.  These 'boxes do respond to heel toeing to smooth out changes if you have that skill.

Mines good. This was a question for @Nadeem !

4 hours ago, Nadeem said:

Yes  including with engine off and when warmed up :(

Assuming everything is all good with the cables and what's connected at the business end, then my money is on adjustment. Its relatively easy to get the centre console off the car and make this visible:

p4i0vIv.jpg

you then slide the covers back and move the cable by one thread at a time. They just lift out.

gMrAi6w.jpg 

I am sure that there is a process of adjusting the gears based on locking the gear change into the centre position but it might not work with the short shift kit. Have a read up on it. Definitely take a picture and make sure the picture is clear before you start and try either side of the starting position with one thread before moving two threads in any direction as it can't be that far out.

Or alternatively take it to someone who knows that they are doing as its a quick job when you know where the screws are to remove the centre console. 

an example of a clear thumb and not a clear fitting! I was changing the shift arrangement and marked the cables with market pens. By the time I put it all back together, the markings had gone and I had a blurry picture to go by. I was one thread out and was surprise at the difference this made! Good luck!

0BHgeMk.jpg 

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Showing off your antique coin collection there!

The car was full of them. there was the same amount at the front! Not sure how they get in there though!

Archived