This has got to be a joke...

ricof

4 minutes ago, ricof said:

Just scrolling through the classifieds on Pistonheads and came across this...https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-986-96-04/porsche-boxster-3-2-s-2dr/10525482

2000MY 986S with 82k miles - £29k!! 

How on earth can they justify that?

This is Porsches special classic edition, that sees them totally restore the car giving it special paint, new interior etc, there are a few threads on these, they have done it with some older 911's and some other models too.

11 minutes ago, the baron said:

This is Porsches special classic edition, that sees them totally restore the car giving it special paint, new interior etc, there are a few threads on these, they have done it with some older 911's and some other models too.

If that's the case, why doesn't the advert mention any of it?  Just 7 bullet points, including "stronger battery" and "wind deflector", and not even a mention of service history or condition? No wonder the OP thought it was a joke.  Looks like a really nice car, but at 29 grand I find it hard to believe it will sell.  But then again, what do I know? 

43 minutes ago, ricof said:

Just scrolling through the classifieds on Pistonheads and came across this...https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-986-96-04/porsche-boxster-3-2-s-2dr/10525482

2000MY 986S with 82k miles - £29k!! 

How on earth can they justify that?

Their buyer is called 'Lloyd Precious' if further merriment is required :laugh:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, the baron said:

They have done it to a 924  they where advertising awhile back.

Text below taken from Topgear website in 2018 detailing the 20 cars Porsche restored, I've highlighted the cars they did in red.

To mark the marque’s 70th anniversary, 20 restorations have been commissioned by the British arm of Stuttgart’s premier sports car profferer, and will include front-engined, mid-engined and rear-engined models. No word on Macan Diesels, though…

Porsche says: “Each car has undergone a bare metal restoration and is beautifully finished in a special ‘Liquid Metal’ silver paint, which was developed especially for the 918 Spyder hybrid super sportscar. A full engine rebuild, some using a new ‘short block engine’ (as available for Boxster and Type 996 911 models), has also been carried out.” Because, as the internet is happy to exaggerate, some of Porsche’s early dalliances with water-cooled boxer engines weren’t the most bulletproof engines in the world…

Besides a 70 Years of Porsche plaque and some special seat trimming, there are precious few details to separate the 20 restored cars from a really clean Boxster, 911 or 928, for example – the idea was to maintain originality.

In terms of models to look out for, the 20 cars include:

• 10 first-gen ‘type 986 Boxster S
  • 2 996-gen 911s, one a C2 manual, the other a Turbo
  • 1 993-gen 911
  • 1 964-gen 911, pictured above
  • 1 G-series 911

There’s also a 914, a 924, a 924 Turbo, a 928 and a 968 among the restored 20.

Edited by NicGun

Yes they’re plenty of money compared to an average 986 - I for one am glad they did them - not because I’m a buyer but because it raises the profile of the 986. 

I like the fact they didn’t slavishly go for an as factory resto, the paint is - to my eye - a great colour on that shape. 

A 986 donor with a short block rebuild and all the other stuff they’ve done would see you above £20k pretty quickly. 

Would I swap mine for one of these? No but I can see why someone would purchase something like this. 

Who knows - owning one might get you on the list for something very interesting in the coming years......

22 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Anyone had a nosey underneath one.? 

Had a good poke around the one in Leeds OPC last year when picking up some parts (pics below), but not underneath sadly, colour looks great and as @map says it'd be easy to get to £20k with the things they've done, especially considering what OPC hourly rate is - the Leeds one has been reduced from the original £29k already, I think if you had deep pockets and were in the market a cheeky offer might get it for a bit less again, but then you'd have to REALLY want it to drop £20k+ on one.

Personally not a fan of the black wheels but can see why they did them, would've liked to see all the restored models together even just in a pic - having only seen 986S, 964 and one pic of the 993.

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, map said:

Would I swap mine for one of these? No but I can see why someone would purchase something like this. 

Thats probably because yours.if you added up how much you have spent on your 986  would be in excess of £29k 😂

Man maths aside.

• Haha 1

The Leeds one had 99k on the clock. If the engine has had a nut and both rebuild, that’s not really relevant then I suppose. It’s effectively buying a new Old stock car. 

I’d not be tempted myself as for half the money you could build twice the car. But that’s if your not after something “original”, rather something “purposeful” 😈

20 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

.......I’d not be tempted myself as for half the money you could build twice the car. But that’s if your not after something “original”, rather something “purposeful” 😈

This 👆 100%

👏

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, the baron said:

Thats probably because yours.if you added up how much you have spent on your 986  would be in excess of £29k 😂

Man maths aside.

Er if we take £29,000 and divide that across the number of years I’ve been the custodian of my 986 I think we’ll find I’m there or thereabouts at the £2k per annum suggested by this very forum as a reasonable budget to run a 986. 

So my ownership approach must represent a near optimal model....

🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, EXY said:

Their buyer is called 'Lloyd Precious' if further merriment is required :laugh:

8 hours ago, ricof said:

I did notice that! Haha

I wonder if his Mum just calls him 'My Precious' :)