Rubbish Vinyl Wrap

alank

Just a word of warning,  got some supposedly 3M  Clear Vinyl wrap of a supplier on e-bay, what a load of s- -t. I  feel I wasted a good few hours of my life applying it a couple of weeks ago, to find its turned a lovely shade of Yellow, which is not good on a white car. Don't buy 3M vinyl off e-bay.

@Patt used to work for 3M and recently commented that lots of stuff being sold claims that it is 3M but it's a cheap knock-off.  Ebay would be highly likely to be included there IMHO.

Try searching for Ventureshield - it's the trade name for the bike stuff.  

You are much less likely to get Chinese copy cr*p.

What I've done is pop to my local installer and ask to buy an off cut for cash.

It may have been 3m, just not an exterior specification although I'd be disappointed if even 3M interior vinyl discoloured that quickly.

I know from my time in the signage industry that there are many different grades of vinyl for differing applications even in just one manufacturer's inventory.  You need to know what you are buying alas.

I’ve used several companies to source vinyl for my race car, but the one listed below comes top for speed and reliability of delivery - and product quality. I went for Matt finish with ADT (air drain tech - or something) which aids bubble free application.  Products are also forgiving when forming round curves etc (with heat):

https://www.wrapdirect.com/ 

A bit more expensive than some, but, er, as the original post suggests, you get what you pay for 😳😬

1 hour ago, alank said:

Just a word of warning,  got some supposedly 3M  Clear Vinyl wrap of a supplier on e-bay, what a load of s- -t. I  feel I wasted a good few hours of my life applying it a couple of weeks ago, to find its turned a lovely shade of Yellow, which is not good on a white car. Don't buy 3M vinyl off e-bay.

You'll be a whizz at it second time around with the proper material - good practice!

Oh. And a quick heads up. If you’ve put any vinyl wrap on your headlights, I advise that you remove it (very carefully) with a steam cleaner - or at least some gentle dry heat.  Ask me how I know......

10 minutes ago, noggieboxa said:

Oh. And a quick heads up. If you’ve put any vinyl wrap on your headlights, I advise that you remove it (very carefully) with a steam cleaner - or at least some gentle dry heat.  Ask me how I know......

How do you know? 

Pictures are always good, speak a thousand words apparently :)

3 hours ago, 718as said:

..but surely only being bought by 17year olds with a saxo VTS  or similar....

21 hours ago, EXY said:

How do you know? 

Pictures are always good, speak a thousand words apparently :)

I was too embarrassed to take any pics at the time.....!!  The vinyl lifted some/most of the protective sealant from the headlights.  They looked a real mess.  Quickly removed them and took them to my local body shop to get fixed - with my tail between my legs. 

3 hours ago, noggieboxa said:

I was too embarrassed to take any pics at the time.....!!  The vinyl lifted some/most of the protective sealant from the headlights.  They looked a real mess.  Quickly removed them and took them to my local body shop to get fixed - with my tail between my legs. 

Oops, not to worry we have all been there and done that, or at least something like that :laugh:

Archived