Wheel colour opinions please and good refurbisher

Rooose

Having picked up my 981s last week, I mentioned to the supplying dealer that the alloys were a little 'chippy' and thought they could have picked this up during the prep. They have agreed to pay for the refurb, so now I am looking at options to get them refurbished.

I have a Rhodium silver car with Carrera S wheels in black/silver. 

I am very tempted to go satin platinum for the refurb but was looking for opinions on wheel colours for silver cars and if anyone on here has the silver/platinum combo. I don't dislike the current look, however, I really like the platinum wheels but I have never seen them on a silver car in the flesh. As it's a one time opportunity, I don't want to be making the wrong decision!!

As I am in Basingstoke, a local place called MyAlloys has a good reputation but if anyone has experience of other local places, please do let me know.

31 minutes ago, Rooose said:

As I am in Basingstoke, a local place called MyAlloys has a good reputation but if anyone has experience of other local places, please do let me know.

As a by the by - I've used MyAlloys in Basingstoke on previous car (MX5, BMW 320M) and have nothing but praise for them.  One draw back as you're discovering is that there are just too many choices!

If local, sounds like you should go for that.  Any defects on delivery or within a year or two will be so much easier to sort out than sending the wheels 100 miles away.

The opposite of what you're asking but my car is platinum silver and had the wheels refinished in hyper silver recently.  I thought about grey etc but then you have the extra expense of new centre caps.

Can put a photo up if you're interested?

14 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

The opposite of what you're asking but my car is platinum silver and had the wheels refinished in hyper silver recently.  I thought about grey etc but then you have the extra expense of new centre caps.

Can put a photo up if you're interested?

Would be very interested to see a picture please. 

9 hours ago, michelin said:

Chris at Exel wheels. Superb. I’ve used him for years and the quality has never slipped. 👍🏼

Yep...great guy to deal with and nice work! He's done wheels on three of our cars. 

Not that you've asked but satin black wheels do look good with rhodium 

1 hour ago, Rooose said:

Would be very interested to see a picture please. 

My wheels were chemically stripped and had the inside is painted too.  Some people just have the outside face painted which I don't like, was just over £300 for all of them on a winter offer.

jOHzSw8.jpg

7 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

My wheels were chemically stripped and had the inside is painted too.  Some people just have the outside face painted which I don't like, was just over £300 for all of them on a winter offer.

jOHzSw8.jpg

Looks lovely! I am a bit of a traditionalist in that I like a classic silver wheel. They look great on your car.

I am a little worried that silver will be too similar to rhodium and they just get lost.

I didn't know choosing wheel colour could be so hard!!

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

Yep...great guy to deal with and nice work! He's done wheels on three of our cars. 

Not that you've asked but satin black wheels do look good with rhodium 

I have just sent him a message. Satin appeals to me, hadn't considered satin black, only platinum. Another option to add to the ever increasing list!

I wouldn't recommend Chris at Excel if you intend to keep the black with silver lip look.

Mine came back to me and the wheel is not even as black as the centre cap.  Shame as great work and service when I had another set refurbished in silver.

1 hour ago, RickLS7 said:

Was that at the Wheel Clinic in Northampton, if so I thought they charged about £50 per corner so did you have any extras added.

16 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Was that at the Wheel Clinic in Northampton, if so I thought they charged about £50 per corner so did you have any extras added.

Yes it was.  I don't know what the standard cost is but told them what I wanted, they are 20" and it included tyre removal, refitting, balancing plus dropping 2 wheels down at a time and they quoted on that. 

They knocked £30 off the cost due to a delay caused by one wheel which needed reworking which was good of them.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:46 AM, Rooose said:

Having picked up my 981s last week, I mentioned to the supplying dealer that the alloys were a little 'chippy' and thought they could have picked this up during the prep. They have agreed to pay for the refurb, so now I am looking at options to get them refurbished.

I have a Rhodium silver car with Carrera S wheels in black/silver. 

I am very tempted to go satin platinum for the refurb but was looking for opinions on wheel colours for silver cars and if anyone on here has the silver/platinum combo. I don't dislike the current look, however, I really like the platinum wheels but I have never seen them on a silver car in the flesh. As it's a one time opportunity, I don't want to be making the wrong decision!!

I used Top Gear in the past for wheel refurbishment on my TT 18" alloys down at Moniton Trading Estate and got a good service for a reasonable price (I think around £50 per wheel).

https://www.topgearmsltd.co.uk/

MyAlloys are good, but quite expensive - if you aren't paying for it though, may as well use the most expensive! :)  I'll keep an eye out for you on the roads

1 hour ago, AnthonyR said:

I had my 20" Carrera S wheels changed from silver to satin platinum which personally I think look much better with a silver car, my car is GT silver but gives you a good idea:

IMG_6751.jpg

that looks lovely - nicer than a full black IMHO

3 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

jOHzSw8.jpg

jeez that was cheap I paid £200 for a single hyper silver via Chris at Exel (who takes them to Lepsons I believe)

Wow, they actually charged me £275 in the end.  As I mentioned, they knocked £30 off as they needed to keep one wheel back as they weren't happy with it.  £200 is bonkers for one wheel.

They needed refinishing as the powder coating was lifting on the back face, the front's looked ok.

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

I used Top Gear in the past for wheel refurbishment on my TT 18" alloys down at Moniton Trading Estate and got a good service for a reasonable price (I think around £50 per wheel).

https://www.topgearmsltd.co.uk/

MyAlloys are good, but quite expensive - if you aren't paying for it though, may as well use the most expensive! :)  I'll keep an eye out for you on the roads

True! I have just popped into MyAlloys - 502 quid all in for 20's in satin platinum - you are right - they are not the cheapest!

I often see your car at Tesco's - I am at the top of Kempshott Lane - maybe one day I will see you with it!

3 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

I had my 20" Carrera S wheels changed from silver to satin platinum which personally I think look much better with a silver car, my car is GT silver but gives you a good idea:

IMG_6751.jpg

I think you have made my mind up - satin platinum I do like!!

1 hour ago, Rooose said:

True! I have just popped into MyAlloys - 502 quid all in for 20's in satin platinum - you are right - they are not the cheapest!

I often see your car at Tesco's - I am at the top of Kempshott Lane - maybe one day I will see you with it!

ah yes, my temporary parking while the builders make a mess and generally get in the way - apologies for that!! :)

Archived