Wheel colour opinions please and good refurbisher

Rooose

4 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

jeez that was cheap I paid £200 for a single hyper silver via Chris at Exel (who takes them to Lepsons I believe)

What we hear on here is Exel "just" takes them to Lepsons and so is likely to be more expensive, but the added value is he supplies loan wheels so your car is not off the road for that period of time.

What do people do about centre caps when changing the wheel colour? 

There are some colours available from an OPC or Ebay, do some people get them painted with the wheels though?  Don't know if I could be bothered re-painting the crest myself which is why I stuck with silver.

18 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

What we hear on here is Exel "just" takes them to Lepsons and so is likely to be more expensive, but the added value is he supplies loan wheels so your car is not off the road for that period of time.

At present excel cannot keep up with his work load.Been in touch with him and he is only working 2to 3 days a week due to child care issues and he cannot give me a date,so I am looking around in my local area.

6 minutes ago, J & F Hux said:

57ffe5ca10c63_DSC02510(1).jpg.126a5ad31389a8e57b8c8b8782a49668.jpgYup I'm in rhodium silver with platinum.

Will post a pic, but I have to say I think navy roof rather than black, tops it off nicely (no pun intended)

Yep, I think you have definitely made my mind up now, satin platinum looks good!

Spoke to Chris, it is about 4 weeks or so before he could collect as he is pretty busy. 

Interestingly, he did say that if I wanted to keep the original black+silver edge, this would be considerably more expensive and there would be no guarantee it would be perfect. Achieving a perfect silver edge is very difficult on a large diameter wheel.

Just need to decide who to go with now. I am in no rush so may use excel, its convenient and not that much more than myalloys and I don't need to leave my car in a car park on stands for 3 days!

5 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

What do people do about centre caps when changing the wheel colour? 

There are some colours available from an OPC or Ebay, do some people get them painted with the wheels though?  Don't know if I could be bothered re-painting the crest myself which is why I stuck with silver.

My guy painted my centre caps at the same time, charged a little bit extra for it but did a lovely job, far cheaper than buying new ones.

7 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

My guy painted my centre caps at the same time, charged a little bit extra for it but did a lovely job, far cheaper than buying new ones.

Did they mask off the crest?  I assumed they just painted the whole thing.

1 hour ago, RickLS7 said:

Did they mask off the crest?  I assumed they just painted the whole thing.

Yes they masked off the crest, I was concerned it wouldn't look right but the guy was confident he could do it, came out really well.

The crest looks to be a stick-on decal.  Anyone found a source for these.  New centre caps are over £50 each and an exact paint watch will also be an issue with refurbed wheels.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, detail1 said:

Lepsons in Gillingham recently did mine, come highly recommended.

2020-06-23_12-08-17

They look very similar to the Sport Designs I had on our 986.

Now if only I had a picture I could post :laugh:

On 6/22/2020 at 10:46 AM, Rooose said:

Having picked up my 981s last week, I mentioned to the supplying dealer that the alloys were a little 'chippy' and thought they could have picked this up during the prep. They have agreed to pay for the refurb, so now I am looking at options to get them refurbished.

I have a Rhodium silver car with Carrera S wheels in black/silver. 

I am very tempted to go satin platinum for the refurb but was looking for opinions on wheel colours for silver cars and if anyone on here has the silver/platinum combo. I don't dislike the current look, however, I really like the platinum wheels but I have never seen them on a silver car in the flesh. As it's a one time opportunity, I don't want to be making the wrong decision!!

As I am in Basingstoke, a local place called MyAlloys has a good reputation but if anyone has experience of other local places, please do let me know.

I too am in Basingstoke and have use MyAlloys on a few different cars over the years. Highly recommeneded.  I tend to put my car on axle stands and take the wheels in. Its usually faster that way as you arent waiting for a slot to store the car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:36 AM, detail1 said:

Thanks, yes 987s 👍

Im sure ive seen that car about,   around the thurrock area?  

9 hours ago, robporsche said:

Im sure ive seen that car about,   around the thurrock area?  

Yep Chafford 100, we are in the same Porsche groups on FB- Rob 😄

12 hours ago, detail1 said:

Yep Chafford 100, we are in the same Porsche groups on FB- Rob 😄

Just realised who it is! how embarrassing :)  small world

Just got the wheels back - used Chris at Exel in the end - great service, quick turnaround and a quality job. Decided to go with satin platinum (and new rubber all round to treat myself and ditch the Pirelli's) and glad I did, they look great!

Will post some pics when I get the chance but a highly recommended service from Exel and totally hassle free with some good advice.

Photos don't really do them justice.

I like them in that they change depending what the ambient light is like. At times, they look dark(photos tend to show them at their darkest) but can also look dark grey, bronze etc.

Chris suggested the satin finish masks some of the flake, so you get less 'pop'. Some have had a gloss finish on this colour, which I would imagine is very nice too, but I wanted to stay with a factory colour.

Archived