Optional extras how much they add value or not

Muddy

On 6/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, bally4563 said:

Also some options look good on paper like PASM for example, but in reality totally useless on our roads, unless your partner or someone in the family is a Dentist!!

I never had PASM on my 987 and it's not on my 981 but I would certainly have it on a car if I bought again if had the choice I think...

I have this picture stored for this very use...

PASM isn't a harder ride than a standard chassis but in fact BOTH harder AND softer as it adapts both ways:

pasm-porsche.jpg.

I am certain if I'd had PASM on the 987, which had 19" wheels, it would have been a much more compliant ride with less crashing and banging due to local country road undulations and potholes....the 981 on 20's is more compliant to start with so IMO it's a little less necessary (but would still be a worthy option).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think , as with other options, Porsche do not really do themselves any favours with how they name the options, PASM but itself does not actually explain what the suspension is ie as described in the picture above = its not a "sportier" / harder suspension......its an adaptive suspension which can be softer/harder or the same as the normal suspension......Porsche shold really have named the suspension options as:

- normal

- adaptive

- Sport (which is the fixed firmer ride option)

thats why as I've stated before a statement should as "Also some options look good on paper like PASM for example, but in reality totally useless on our roads, unless your partner or someone in the family is a Dentist!!"  is not an opinion, its a stement of fact which is simply factually incorrect, it simply shows that the person stating it does not actually understand what PASM is. That is partly Porsches fault for the way it is marketed but any basic research into the technology would educate. I think part of the problem is also that PASM in Sport mode is very harsh for typical british B roads (less so in the 981/718, but I still hardly used it as normal mode is so adpatable) and people remmeber those comments but again without understaing actually what PASM is then make false statement like the above.

There is also a very well recognised aftermarket repalcement PASM control unit which is plug and play (referred to as a DSC) which "improves" the PASM settings for raod use, out of the box it makes Sport mode much more compliant and less "jittery" on B roads whilst a the same time firming up the ride when you are driving agressively ie you can push the car that bit more than in standard mode but at the expense of some ride comfort (which is actually what you want when pushing on) but ultimately without the compromises on day to day use you have with the Sport suspension. You can then take it further as there are fantastic free software with the DSC which you can change many settings for each mode to fine tune the setup to suits you and the more specific driving style should you so wish.

For many PASM is not needed as the standard suspension setup is so good but for me why would you pass up one of the best adaptive sports suspensions on the market combined with one of the best sports chassis if you had the chance......which comes back to the theme of the thread.......and yes to me PASM would add value and I would be prepared to pay more for a car with it............the problem being there are so many other factors in the "value" calculation with cars like these where no two are the same that you cannot put a defined value on a single item......if I where to then how much would I be prepared to pay for PASM £0, £500, £1000 ? The question is irrelevent to me as I simply would not buy a Porsche without it so how does that value it ?

For years people have said that PASM is soft off and hard on.  People still try to correct them and say it's ALWAYS on, just in normal or sport mode. For 987, forget sport mode on UK roads.  But it's still on (normal), so still working.

These people probably also insist they pay road tax :D

1 hour ago, Jonttt said:

"Also some options look good on paper like PASM for example, but in reality totally useless on our roads, unless your partner or someone in the family is a Dentist!!"  is not an opinion, its a stement of fact which is simply factually incorrect, it simply shows that the person stating it does not actually understand what PASM is.

I can't comment on PASM itself as I have neither PASM nor a Boxster any more, but can I comment on your opinion above

It reads like a very technical person who knows how something works is dismissing how somebody is expressing it feels

It doesn't matter if a 7 Michelin Star chef thinks a meal is perfectly seasoned, if I want more salt I will add it. It doesn't matter if the chief orthopaedic surgeon at the BMA has designed the 'perfect' sofa , if I find it uncomfortable, then no amount of charts, graphs and "don't you know I have 13 letters after my name and I used to work for NASA" will convince me it is comfortable

You don't need to know how multi link rose jointed suspension works to be able to express the opinion it is uncomfortable

Sorry for the rant but I live in a world where very clever people write software and refuse to believe people can find it hard to use. So I tend to 'trigger' to 'technical slamdowns' :laugh:

Whilst I would normally agree with you.........the fact is PASM suspension cannot be harsher than a standard suspension on normal road (as implied by the statement)....you don't need to know the science ......it is a fact.......it can feel harsher if your "pushing on" or if you have hit the "sport" setting ie it is designed to then be harsher. If anything the suspension should feel slightly softer if you are just driving normally on "our roads".........my issue was a fundamental one in that it was not only factually incorrect but very misleading......I've alredy used the analogy....its like stating that windscreen wipers are useless in british weather......I don't need to know how windscreen wipers work to know thats an incorrect statement.....I donlt really care if something genuinely "thinks" that...they are just plain wrong 😉

5 hours ago, John K said:

It reads like a very technical person who knows how something works is dismissing how somebody is expressing it feels

PASM cannot be less comfortable than standard suspension, unless it is broken.  Jonttttttttttttt is (quite rightly) annoyed that a throw-away comment has been made, which cannot be right - even as an expression of personal experience.  There must have been something else wrong with one of the vehicles in a back/back test.

Lol, it happens often, people can’t remember how many t’s in my username and so type a lot to exaggerate it.......I’ve had versions of the user name since the internet started......;-)

38 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Lol, it happens often, people can’t remember how many t’s in my username and so type a lot to exaggerate it.......I’ve had versions of the user name since the internet started......;-)

Sorry Jon. :blush2:  

I guess to conclude is that for example if just had new disc and pads all round at say £500 you cannot add that to the selling price of your car it just makes it more sellable. As to one that needs new disc and pads all round but now that’s  become a Haggling point to reduce the price. 🤔

Archived