Optional extras how much they add value or not

Muddy

Horses for corses. I waited ages for my perfect spec and it probably weakened my bargaining power (as I def wanted it)

as was said above, the trade will hammer you if you don’t have the “required spec for a convertible” such as heated seats.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q. “Do optional extras add value?”

A.  A bit. Not sure it’s quantifiable how much. I’ll throw out for starters 10% of their original options price. All to be weighed against the other variables in a 15 year old car like mileage and condition. 

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Q. “Do optional extras add value?”

A.  A bit. Not sure it’s quantifiable how much. I’ll throw out for starters 10% of their original options price. All to be weighed against the other variables in a 15 year old car like mileage and condition. 

Not sure if it's even a bit. Even if it is, I don't see how you can quantify it. 

3 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Would any options lower the value.? 

Steering wheel delete 😂

12 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Ceramic brakes on an older car, especially a car of the value of a 10-15yr old boxster, where the replacement maybe the same cost as the car - will the informed be willing to take that on, especially if its just a weekend or road car? i would probably avoid it unless i could see receipts for replacements within the last few months

but you get nice yellow calipers lol.......ceramic breaks are overkill on a road going boxster in any case IMHO.......(unlike PASM 😎)

11 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

but you get nice yellow calipers lol.......ceramic breaks are overkill on a road going boxster in any case IMHO.......(unlike PASM 😎)

you keep beating the PASM drum there :)  

It will fall into a similar category as ceramic brakes though as the car gets old, the cost of proper replacement outweighs the cost of the car. Like old P38's where airbags are replaced with traditional springs because its no longer financially viable. Although an old P38 should no longer be financially viable at any point!!!!

12 hours ago, PaulQ said:

That's a really good question and an angle I hadn't considered. Not sure, but as above, there are "challenging" colours (who remembers the mint green 911 with the nephrite green interior!!), and those options which seem great when new but can cost a fortune (relative to car value) when time comes to replace them; PCCB and PASM are the two I immediately think of, though recently someone told me PASM wasn't nearly as much as I'd heard quoted before.  These days I start to wonder how much Bose and PCM add or reduce value in the 986 and old 987, as anyone interested in a new sound system has to "rip out the lot and start again" - it seems easier to upgrade the basic systems than the fancy ones.  The cognoscenti here know of the problems that diamond-cut wheels can cause when corrosion gets in, and the old 3-piece 986 wheels that seemed very sensitive to refurbishment, but as they are relatively easy to change perhaps they don't affect car value quite so much.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Who'd pay extra for this :) 

nephrite_green_184.jpg

i did look at a silver 996 with this interior - it was cheap (can't imagine why) and was considering whether changing the seats to black would tone it down sufficiently to make it an interesting interior? The rest of the car was a bit flakey, so didn't end up with it - but with black exterior, it could work.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

That's a really good question and an angle I hadn't considered. Not sure, but as above, there are "challenging" colours (who remembers the mint green 911 with the nephrite green interior!!), and those options which seem great when new but can cost a fortune (relative to car value) when time comes to replace them; PCCB and PASM are the two I immediately think of, though recently someone told me PASM wasn't nearly as much as I'd heard quoted before.  These days I start to wonder how much Bose and PCM add or reduce value in the 986 and old 987, as anyone interested in a new sound system has to "rip out the lot and start again" - it seems easier to upgrade the basic systems than the fancy ones.  The cognoscenti here know of the problems that diamond-cut wheels can cause when corrosion gets in, and the old 3-piece 986 wheels that seemed very sensitive to refurbishment, but as they are relatively easy to change perhaps they don't affect car value quite so much.

PASM is not massively more expensive to replace thasn standard suspension......and.....it can also be refurbed by Bilstein to as new performance (but wont look "shiney new") for less than a replacement standard set of dampers ;-).......Ceramic breaks are in a different league as usually end up getting swapped for steels .......they are the one option which would actually put me off any road car (I have had them on some cars but not through choice).......

Options do affect value to me in that without some I would not consider a car (+value), some would be differentiators between cars (neutral value but car easier to sell IMHO), some I would not the bothered about (neutral value) and some would actually put me off a car (-ve value eg ceramics and interior / exterior colour)....

Added value to me are:

- PASM

- Sport Chrono (can be retrofit but at a cost)

- PSE (can be retro fit at a cost)

- Full Leather

I would not consider a boxster without those which does rather limit choice and usually cars with those fitted are very well specced in other ways so usually cost a premium, therefore they definately add value IMHO.....ocassionally you get a bargain like the recent white car which sold on here........it was simply underpriced for its spec and sold very quickly which, to me at least, prove the point that the options on that car definately added value 

15 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

PASM is not massively more expensive to replace thasn standard suspension

What is 'massively'..?

If the cost difference is between £800 and £1,000 then I agree, probably not a deal breaker

If it's the difference between £800 and £1,600 to some folk that is something to take into account

+1 to all those who say options make a car easier to sell, not more valuable :thumbsup_still:

21 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

PASM is not massively more expensive to replace thasn standard suspension......and.....it can also be refurbed by Bilstein to as new performance (but wont look "shiney new") for less than a replacement standard set of dampers ;-).......Ceramic breaks are in a different league as usually end up getting swapped for steels .......they are the one option which would actually put me off any road car (I have had them on some cars but not through choice).......

Options do affect value to me in that without some I would not consider a car (+value), some would be differentiators between cars (neutral value but car easier to sell IMHO), some I would not the bothered about (neutral value) and some would actually put me off a car (-ve value eg ceramics and interior / exterior colour)....

Added value to me are:

- PASM

- Sport Chrono (can be retrofit but at a cost)

- PSE (can be retro fit at a cost)

- Full Leather

I would not consider a boxster without those which does rather limit choice and usually cars with those fitted are very well specced in other ways so usually cost a premium, therefore they definately add value IMHO.....ocassionally you get a bargain like the recent white car which sold on here........it was simply underpriced for its spec and sold very quickly which, to me at least, prove the point that the options on that car definately added value 

but if they can be retro-fitted as you suggest, then there would be no need to discount a car that doesn't have them? as long as the price is right.

Even leather can be retro fitted, if you wanted to that far - but then you'd up with a Triggers Broom of a car and end up putting off some sellers as it would be so far away from original spec.

Yes, anything can be "retofitted" but I class those which are easily OEM as retrofit ;-)..........so lets say PSE can be added for £2k......if I see a car £1k more than another identical but one has PSE than the other which would I go for .......the more expensive one so the option has added £1k to its value has it not ?

Better spec will certainly make it easier to sell and in some cases should command a premium between a very well specced car to a poverty spec.

However I reckon in percentage terms in would be quite small, based on the original new price between the two cars.

42 minutes ago, John K said:

What is 'massively'..?

If the cost difference is between £800 and £1,000 then I agree, probably not a deal breaker

If it's the difference between £800 and £1,600 to some folk that is something to take into account

+1 to all those who say options make a car easier to sell, not more valuable :thumbsup_still:

for my car (2011 3.4S)....using Design911 as a quick reference to compare nb I have compared full set of x4 dampers B4 not OEM spec as no one would really fit original spec given B4 are better:

PASM Bilstein B4 £1,041.20 + VAT = £1,249

None PASM Bilstein B4 £657.40 = £789

so difference = c£460 or +58%

I agree in percentage terms it is a "premium" but in real money terms I would spend an extra £460 at some point in the future to have PASM over standard suspension. to my mind it is one of the best value options you can get on a Porsche and worth paying a premium for a car with it.........I always like to think of value in different ways.......if you where buying a sports car for and someone said to you all else being equal you can have a car with PASM or without and it may cost you £460 at some point in the future to replace PASM over none PASM car to me it would be a no brainer given that the Porsche PASM system is recognised as one of the best adapative suspension systems you can buy.......so yes I will pay a premium for any Porsche with PASM.....in fact I would not own a porsche without it full stop.

ps I've not mentioned the fact that PASM lowers a car -10mm v stock suspension and makes the car sit sooooo much better......its not uncommon for owners with standard suspension to lower their cars to PASM height so buying PASM actually saves you money lol

27 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Better spec will certainly make it easier to sell and in some cases should command a premium between a very well specced car to a poverty spec.

However I reckon in percentage terms in would be quite small, based on the original new price between the two cars.

Agreed totally re % of original value......my point is simply that some options do make a difference to value (some make no difference, some have an adverse effect).

It is also worth noting that often that value can be hidden as the biggest factor on value in the UK is always mileage ie a very well specced car may the same price as a low specced car so at first the options have no value, however the mileage would likely be higher in the higher specced car hiding the value of options. There are also always outliers that are priced without any logic to the normal considerations either through ignorance or design, those are the ones which tend to sell very quickly or very slowley lol

2 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Yes, anything can be "retofitted" but I class those which are easily OEM as retrofit ;-)..........so lets say PSE can be added for £2k......if I see a car £1k more than another identical but one has PSE than the other which would I go for .......the more expensive one so the option has added £1k to its value has it not ?

well not if the more expensive one has higher miles, dodgy paintwork and holes in the service history, thats why i prefer to be open on spec and buy the best available for my budget at the time.

and i'm rubbish at waiting for a car - i'm not one of those tyre kickers that will view 15 cars before buying the first one they saw, but appreciate some people need to do that before committing to a purchase

Of course, thats why I stated otherwise identical cars............I think most agree that there are many factors which affect value, some are common to more people than others and buyers are all at different levels of experience in both buying cars in general and specifically Porsche but I think relative to this thread the answer is that options can add value 😉

Certainly options on Porsche’s have much more affect on value than in most mainstream brands. This is mainly because as standard they are so poorly equipped, so for most it’s important they have certain options.  Who would buy a 981 without phone prep?,  many want PSE, many want PDK or manual many want 19” /20” wheels.   Heated seats?  Parking sensors?  Etc etc There really are no two cars the same.  Most people looking for a car will have 3/4 essentials and 3/4 additional wants. 

PS. PASM on the 981 generation has been recalibrated significantly it seems.  PASM Sport is perfect drivable even of UK dodgiest roads.

4 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Certainly options on Porsche’s have much more affect on value than in most mainstream brands. This is mainly because as standard they are so poorly equipped, so for most it’s important they have certain options.  Who would buy a 981 without phone prep?,  many want PSE, many want PDK or manual many want 19” /20” wheels.   Heated seats?  Parking sensors?  Etc etc There really are no two cars the same.  Most people looking for a car will have 3/4 essentials and 3/4 additional wants. 

PS. PASM on the 981 generation has been recalibrated significantly it seems.  PASM Sport is perfect drivable even of UK dodgiest roads.

Agree 987 PASM sport is a lot “harsher” than 981 PASM sport which is more useable ....but........You need to try a DSC even on the 981 ie my 987 now rides better than my 981GTS did with PASM 😉

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:24 AM, bally4563 said:

Also some options look good on paper like PASM for example, but in reality totally useless on our roads, unless your partner or someone in the family is a Dentist!!

Archived