Optional extras how much they add value or not

Muddy

Hi,

never thinking of selling but am wondering how much value your optional extras put value on your car when selling. Example my car 2005, 90000 miles full service history, recent tyres and brakes all round. Few stone chips. GT silver, sports seats, sound package plus, sports steering wheel, sport Chrono, heated seats, 6 speed, cruise control, PASM. Compare to a standard 987 (still a beauty) would my car be of more value.

cheers muddy 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Value is purely what people will pay.  I think a well specced car with good history will always be more attractive than a similar history with fewer toys.  in that way you can ask for more money for it because more people will be interested.  

some are must haves for some people (heated seats) some are desirable to a lot of folks (sport chrono, pasm) 

some are nice to have but if someone wanted it badly they could retro fit. (Cruise )

6 speed is an interesting one   I have driven a mates 987 2.7 with a  six speed box  loved it   But doesn’t it push the car into the “supertax” bracket for road tax ?

some people might be put off by that if it’s the case   

Options don't really add value as such, but might increase desirability depending on what's been fitted.

No two cars are the same though, and what one person deems essential, another couldn't care less about. 

3 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Isn't UK VED based on CO2 output? An extra gear should make this better, not worse, everything else being equal?

5 speed 2.7’s are in a different tax bracket to 6 speeds.  I think the measurement is to do with emissions at a certain speed.  The issue being on a 6 speed that may be below 6 gear and therefore higher revs than a 5 speed.  

donr know the metric la but I Am pretty sure a 2006 2.7 6 speed is > 500 year road tax.  

If your buying from an OPC the optional extras increase the sale value 

If your ‘Trading In’ to an OPC they make no difference in the part ex price 🤪

2 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

If your buying from an OPC the optional extras increase the sale value 

If your ‘Trading In’ to an OPC they make no difference in the part ex price 🤪

^^^^ This is so true. I’d suggest the options will just make it slightly easier to sell, but not add a huge amount of extra value after a gets beyond 10yrs old (ish) as buyers tend to go on price first, unless they already know a lot about the car they are looking at, which outside us sad buggers on this forum is probably very few

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

5 speed 2.7’s are in a different tax bracket to 6 speeds.  I think the measurement is to do with emissions at a certain speed.  The issue being on a 6 speed that may be below 6 gear and therefore higher revs than a 5 speed.  

donr know the metric la but I Am pretty sure a 2006 2.7 6 speed is > 500 year road tax.  

Your right my 2008 2.7 is £500+ in tax which I was not expecting 

2 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Your right my 2008 2.7 is £500+ in tax which I was not expecting 

I used that to justify increasing the budget to get mine, because it has lower tax 😂 man maths at its best

I think the options make your car more or less likely to sell  - not really affecting how much you get for it.

people look for must have features first and a car with more of those is going to get shortlisted more often, and so has a higher probability of being purchased I reckon. With your options (and mine has similar) I wouldn't expect a lot of extra value on sale - maybe a little bit - but not material. But without the options installed it'll linger on the for sale lists a lot longer.

Also some options look good on paper like PASM for example, but in reality totally useless on our roads, unless your partner or someone in the family is a Dentist!!

18 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Isn't UK VED based on CO2 output? An extra gear should make this better, not worse, everything else being equal?

What's your logic for this? 

My view for the OP is "No."  They make a car easier to sell but don't add value.

37 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Also some options look good on paper like PASM for example, but in reality totally useless on our roads, unless your partner or someone in the family is a Dentist!!

That is totally untrue......the Porsche PASM system is one of the best dynamic suspension systems you can get on a road going car.........the only criticism from most user is that sport mode can be too harsh for road use (depends on the roads) even then if you are really prepared to push the car it allows you to do so with more confidence......that is easily rectified by fitting a DSC module which is fully programmable but even with default maps makes sport mode much more suitable for UK roads.........the standard mode with or without DSC is awesome as its dynamic nature is priceless in a sports car IMHO......yes you can opt for a fixed sports suspension but that is aimed at those who are prepared to sacrifice the dynamic nature of PASM for a fixed harsher ride.......compare it to the standard suspension and it makes a world of difference especially on typical British B roads........so I’m sorry but to state PASM is totally useless on British roads says more about you than anything else !

....I class PASM as a must have in a road going Porsche.......why buy one of the best sports cars on the market and not take full advantage of it from a drivers perspective if you can....PASM offers that even in standard mode as it is constantly adapting to both your driving style and the road conditions.

Ps I will caveat that by saying that the first thing I did with my 987 was fit a DSC as the sport mode did seem much harsher than in PASM fitted to later models but to state PASM is not worth having due to that is to totally ignore its massive benefits in normal mode.........with a DSC fitted you simply create two completely different personalities for the car which can be used on British roads without being too harsh......couple that with Sport chrono and you get x4 different personalities, add PSE and you have the combo that makes owning a Porsche so much more ......that combo I refer to the holy trinity and fro my experience of the market that is the one combo that adds value, cars with it don’t hang around for long  😉

34 minutes ago, Araf said:

What's your logic for this? 

My view for the OP is "No."  They make a car easier to sell but don't add value.

I was asking the OP where he got the idea an extra gear would increase the VED. 😀

I paid a bit more than I was comfy with for my car, but as it's got quite a few nice options I consoled myself that I would have had to wait a while and probably travel a fair bit to find a similar spec car for less money.

So in that respect I do think the extras increased the value somewhat.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Surely if it makes the car easier to sell then it adds value. 

Thanks for your thoughts think the conclusion is that not more value but more desirable to buyers. Must admit when l bought my first 986 l had no idea of the options list and bought it because l wanted one as long as it had 4 wheels and an engine in the back with a Porsche badge but got lucky and bought a decent one. A few years on with constant reading on here and all the reviews in the world l now know a lot more. I do keep having this s2 Elise itch but l have good Boxster and it seems all of our goals is to have a trusty Boxster we know very well. Having said that been divorced twice. 

cheers muddy.

2 hours ago, Jonttt said:

That is totally untrue......the Porsche PASM system is one of the best dynamic suspension systems you can get on a road going car.........the only criticism from most user is that sport mode can be too harsh for road use (depends on the roads) even then if you are really prepared to push the car it allows you to do so with more confidence......that is easily rectified by fitting a DSC module which is fully programmable but even with default maps makes sport mode much more suitable for UK roads.........the standard mode with or without DSC is awesome as its dynamic nature is priceless in a sports car IMHO......yes you can opt for a fixed sports suspension but that is aimed at those who are prepared to sacrifice the dynamic nature of PASM for a fixed harsher ride.......compare it to the standard suspension and it makes a world of difference especially on typical British B roads........so I’m sorry but to state PASM is totally useless on British roads says more about you than anything else !

....I class PASM as a must have in a road going Porsche.......why buy one of the best sports cars on the market and not take full advantage of it from a drivers perspective if you can....PASM offers that even in standard mode as it is constantly adapting to both your driving style and the road conditions.

Ps I will caveat that by saying that the first thing I did with my 987 was fit a DSC as the sport mode did seem much harsher than in PASM fitted to later models but to state PASM is not worth having due to that is to totally ignore its massive benefits in normal mode.........with a DSC fitted you simply create two completely different personalities for the car which can be used on British roads without being too harsh......couple that with Sport chrono and you get x4 different personalities, add PSE and you have the combo that makes owning a Porsche so much more ......that combo I refer to the holy trinity and fro my experience of the market that is the one combo that adds value, cars with it don’t hang around for long  😉

A fatal schoolboy error regarding this forum should have started with" in my opinion"🙄

21 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

A fatal schoolboy error regarding this forum should have started with" in my opinion"🙄

There is opinion and then there is fact......its like stating windscreen wipers are a waste of time in the rain ie that may be your opinion but it would clearly be wrong  lol

The only options I’d want personally, in my own opinion are !

Heated seats, ideally sports seats - I have normal heated seats but Electrically adjustable 

Sports steering wheel - I’ve retrofitted this. 

Oil slick button - used to dispose of Vauxhall drivers who insist on being 3 inches off my bumper.   I’ve not fitted this yet. 

in seriousness I’d buy the car you want and if it’s missing something you can fit it.  Maybe not PASM of course but remember if you get a PASM car the dampers are a lot more costly when you replace them.  I know this as in now also have a PASM equipped one day awaiting some attention.  

2 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

I was asking the OP where he got the idea an extra gear would increase the VED. 😀

The 6 speed gearbox does indeed increase the VED over the 5 speed from MY06.  Whilst it may give more opportunity for being in the correct gear, it adds weight and resistance in the gearbox.  It's only 2g/km from what I remember but that is enough to take it from the top of one band and put it at the bottom of the next.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Surely if it makes the car easier to sell then it adds value. 

Very true.  I should have said monetary value. 🙂

1 hour ago, Muddy said:

Thanks for your thoughts think the conclusion is that not more value but more desirable to buyers. Must admit when l bought my first 986 l had no idea of the options list and bought it because l wanted one as long as it had 4 wheels and an engine in the back with a Porsche badge but got lucky and bought a decent one. A few years on with constant reading on here and all the reviews in the world l now know a lot more. I do keep having this s2 Elise itch but l have good Boxster and it seems all of our goals is to have a trusty Boxster we know very well. Having said that been divorced twice. 

cheers muddy.

I've had an Exige V6 or Cup itch for a few years. I find that if the itch is more costly you can procrastinate more. In fact you can end up with a different itch. In my case it's probably even more costly as it would involve buying another car and not selling any of the ones still here 😂

Just purchased a 2.7 and my only "wants" were heated seats and rear park assist. I managed to find the right car but if I had seen an immaculate example without these I would have bought it. I don't use my car every day, perhaps 2 or 3 times a week, so it's all about the driving enjoyment. I wouldn't be bothered at all about the quality of, say, a sound system but for those using theirs as a daily or for regular longer trips it might be really important. The first thing is a really good affordable car, if you can get your must have's so much the better. So Muddy I think your options would increase the value to some buyers by a thousand or more but only by a few hundred to others.

Archived