Rollover protection

Cheddar Bob

52 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Yup! A German couple driving on the right hand side of the road round a blind corner. Thankfully there was no argument about liability (a witness was following them and had been trying to alert them for a few miles)

I had a german couple towing a caravan turn across me on a roundabout once and totalled the side of my car, when we pulled over he asked, "What happened?",  (err you just drove into me!) I took his number plate as he refused to give me any details - I went to the local police station to see if there was anything they could do - they just referred me to my insurance company.  I tried to claim but nothing came of it - the insurance company told me this was likely to happen when I raised the claim - and I took the hit...

2 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

My insurance experience was reasonably painless but I had the police involved (they had to close the road) and I guess that tends to improve co-operation!

Absolutely! 😲

I got side swiped by a German lorry at the Blackwall Tunnel approach once. I was stationary in the traffic, and he just blended in from the slip road straight into me. He wouldn't handover details and just kept saying Police Police - so I called them, on the scene pretty quick and they got his details - the cop had fits of hysteria when he got the guys name - all I could get from the cop was "you have been hit by a German, who's name is Hermann".

My ins co had a bit of a dither saying it was 50 / 50 until I pointed out I was stationary and so were the 300 other cars at the approach to the Blackwall - they then took it up with the "uk agent" for his insurance - apparently (at least pre brexit) each ins co in europe has an appointed local rep (in the shape of another ins co) - so my claim went between Admiral Uk and NFU UK (NFU being Hermann's "agent") - was actually pretty painless once the initial dance was done.

Not so prevalent now - but years ago we regularly used to get lost French drivers trying to find the A2 to get to the coast and going the wrong way around roundabouts - and a few that used to park up in the middle of a local roundabout and have a picnic !

I have been one of those foreigners on the wrong side of the road. Easily done when you switch to autopilot - and potentially fatal. Now I have a big arrow stuck to the windscreen. 

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I have been one of those foreigners on the wrong side of the road. Easily done when you switch to autopilot - and potentially fatal. Now I have a big arrow stuck to the windscreen. 

Do the feathers flutter in the wind 🤔

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I did it too joining around Reims early one morning. Also in my company car on a ski trip as we pulled out the local Carrefour. 

Best thing about the wrong side though is nearly opening the door instead of changing gear 😁

Archived