Rollover protection

Cheddar Bob

I've read somewhere that if you were unfortunate enough to turn the box upside down, there is built in roll over protection that extends to protect ones noggin... 

I can't seem to find anything on this, other than the roll over hoops we all seem to have. 

Have I dreamt this?

19 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I've read somewhere that if you were unfortunate enough to turn the box upside down, there is built in roll over protection that extends to protect ones noggin... 

I can't seem to find anything on this, other than the roll over hoops we all seem to have. 

Have I dreamt this?

An open car has to have adequate rollover protection for construction and use regs so either a solid roll hoop, Boxster, Mini Convertible, BMW Z4, S2000 to name a few, others have explosive struts that trigger like the airbag system.  The longer the car or the stronger the screen surround the less of a problem it is, however on my wife's EOS and Golf convertible there are two plastic rectangles in the rear shelf that have Do No Cover on them which is where the rollover protection fires up in the event of a roll.

Only last week there was a post, I think on a Boxster facebook page, by @Mattman42 IIRC that showed a 987 that had been hit head on by a 4x4. The 4x4 had ridden up over the 987 bonnet and  made contact with the windscreen fame which had stood up well. In the event of a roll, its an integral part of the saftey structure. From the interesting diagram above,  posted by @pacificjuha, one can see the green parts of the frame  are very high strength steel, good to know.

41 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

Also the 986 window frame is designed to protect the passengers pretty well:

Uj5E5P0.png

Great information on the 986 structure. 👍

6 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Also the 986 window frame is designed to protect the passengers pretty well:

Uj5E5P0.png

Great post, never seen this diagram before, with some "good to know" construction going on under the skin

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Great post, never seen this diagram before, with some "good to know" construction going on under the skin

This safety information is from a Boxster book I got from the factory as I visited to see the assembly of Boxsters on 1998.

Lj8d9UK.jpg

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Having been in a head on crash in a 986 (with a winnebago), I can confirm that they are very well built. The electric windows on mine were still working despite the entire front end being concertina'd

Thats good to know (not that you were in a collision) the fact that it can take an impact with a large vehicle and you came out okay. Do they have a NCAP rating?

2 hours ago, Tynesider said:

Thats good to know (not that you were in a collision) the fact that it can take an impact with a large vehicle and you came out okay. Do they have a NCAP rating?

Great to know the windows still work :P

14 hours ago, Araf said:

I'm sure you could. :) 

Definitely could , however, like @Menoporsche I suspect, I prefer to limit how much these organisations know about me and how much they can make from that knowledge.. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Definitely could , however, like @Menoporsche I suspect, I prefer to limit how much these organisations know about me and how much they can make from that knowledge.. 

Me neither, I know that they will have stolen everything that they can from my phone but I don't intend to just hand it over as well.

I must be doing a good job because recently a potential supplier ran a credit check and it turns out that I have an absolutely appalling credit score (I've never checked as the act of doing so hands them more information to sell).  I was quite chuffed as it means that they know almost nothing about me.😀 

18 hours ago, the baron said:

Pretty sure that diagram, or one extremely similar is in the brochure (more like a book). 

Lovely little mines of information are Porsche brochures. 

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It's possible to use fbuck and not tell them anything about yourself. Or not tell the truth. Or if you're really bothered use qwant for your browser. I must admit I reject as many cookies as I can. Started using qwant then stopped again for some reason I can't remember.

Back on topic my neighbour has a volvo c70 with exploding rollover bars. Can they go off because of other impacts apart from rollover?

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

It's possible to use fbuck and not tell them anything about yourself. Or not tell the truth. Or if you're really bothered use qwant for your browser. I must admit I reject as many cookies as I can. Started using qwant then stopped again for some reason I can't remember.

Back on topic my neighbour has a volvo c70 with exploding rollover bars. Can they go off because of other impacts apart from rollover?

Those will go off at the first appearance of meatballs 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

IIRC it was on the wrong side of the road round a bend. 

Yup! A German couple driving on the right hand side of the road round a blind corner. Thankfully there was no argument about liability (a witness was following them and had been trying to alert them for a few miles)

28 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Yup! A German couple driving on the right hand side of the road round a blind corner. Thankfully there was no argument about liability (a witness was following them and had been trying to alert them for a few miles)

Jesus! I met a French driver in a similar situation last summer, turned into a junction in the wrong side of the road, he just missed me!

Archived