Tiptronic flashing lights

Ken wight

21 minutes ago, Ken wight said:

Anyone had the problem with a tiptronic gearbox lights flashing d to 4 

From what I’ve read on here it is the Tip controller being unable to resolve it’s sensor inputs, so probably a sensor failed somewhere. Need to get a decent code reader on it to determine what’s wrong. There is a selector switch on the side of the box which can play up when the contacts get dirty. About £150-£200 for the part plus fitting of about an hour from memory.

@Ken wight where are you in the country?  Someone with a reader locally might be able to help out.  Go to http://www.BoXa.net/forum/forum/8-technical-questions-amp-answers/ and there is a list of Durametric owners at the top of the postings who are willing to helpout.

Hi

Yes its code time. Also how sure are you that the fluid is at the correct level and not dirty? Is the fault intermittent or constant? Does the car drive normally despite the flashing or are there symptoms that suggest something is not right? The D&4 flashing is at the more serious end of lights flashing for a tiptronic box, and it should give a fault code.

Please let us know.

Berni

I had exactly the same lights a couple of months ago with the car in 'limp home' mode. Just clearing the code fixed it. As others have said code reader identified the multi-function switch on the side of the gearbox, apparently sometimes a drop in voltage can cause it to cut out and simply clearing the coded fixed it for me. I will buy a code reader to reset and keep it in the car. Other thought is there is a tiptronic control box in the boot, pull the cover forward and it is just to left of center about 6" x 4" someone I think on here if you have a look had the same problem and he fixed his by removing this box from the car waiting 20 minutes and replacing it. That didn't work for me but for the time it takes perhaps worth a try. Good luck

Hi Berni, 

This is the post I was referring to

There is a Tiptronic CPU in the rear boot, behind the upright bulkhead ( well there is on a 987 - you may have to check ). Unplugging it for ten minutes and then rebooting ( by reconnection ) worked for me. Clearly anecdotal but c.£600 for a new replacement.

Mine is a 2003 2.7. The box is as the guy said in the rear boot, right in the middle (mine has Bosch 986 on it) and is easy to remove and replace.

Hope one of these cheap fixes may solve your problem

Martyn

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

D&4 flashing is definitely an electrical/electronic fault, and will give a fault code in the tiptronic module.  As has been said, the multifunction switch on the side of the transmission is a common cause, but a diagnostic check would confirm it. 

That’s what it will be, had the same on a previous, pulled the plug and squirted  some contact cleaner around, but also had the gear knob off and did the same thing , but because I did both not sure what the resolution was   But it did sort it, so go for the clean option first… gear knob switch