Driving PDK normal mode

alank

Just done 150 mile trip to cotswolds today using PDK mainly in normal mode. I now realize why people use manual mode alot. It was in 7 by the time I got to 50 mph, and I didn't want to that, kept manually knocking it down. Good drive though , even in the p*ss___g rain.

5 minutes ago, alank said:

It was in 7 by the time I got to 50 mph

Not driven a PDK but doesn't it respond to throttle application? i.e. Heavy foot means it uses lower gears for longer?

I find that Sport mode is perfect for driving in auto and seems to predict when you want gear changes much more effectively via the throttle. On a long trip In normal auto the coasting mode helps MPG but that’s not why we bought these cars!

48 minutes ago, alank said:

Just done 150 mile trip to cotswolds today using PDK mainly in normal mode. I now realize why people use manual mode alot. It was in 7 by the time I got to 50 mph, and I didn't want to that, kept manually knocking it down. Good drive though , even in the p*ss___g rain.

37 minutes ago, topradio said:

It responds to driving style, accelerate, brake or corner hard and the gear change will alter accordingly.

I'm with @alank on this, it took me about a dozen drives in different PDK equipped cars to realise why I disliked the lack of involvement UNTIL an epiphany moment driving it in manual mode...I too found that in full auto it just overrode the driving style and literally a few seconds after holding back (relaxing on the acceleration) I'd be back in 7th

I find it's an adjustment - instead of "doing what you want", you communicate "what you want"  - But - for me - 2.9 987.2 PDK no sport+ vs 3.4 PDK with sport + is a very different thing.

3.4 even without sport modes seems more ready to accept we are having fun than the 2.9 did - it doesn't rush to 7th - but in either case, use the force and put your foot down and let the gearbox work it out, and don't even look at the display that tells you what gear you are in. you adjust to when it doesnt guess right - rest of the time its way ahead of you. fun drives out are PSE ON, Sport ON until we get to slow stuff, then I turn sport off and relax a little.

Honestly - i get the 'manual is king' and i drive the pdk like that sometimes, but don't fight it and learn to work with it and it's a rewarding experience. 2 PDK's in and I would likely choose it over a manual in the future (but never say never)

Most important thing if and when I ever use Pdk in auto and normal mode is to switch off the start/stop.that disengages the bloody coast feature that almost stalls the engine so when on and off throttle on narrow back roads the car is constantly caught at to low revs,almost feels like turbo lag and I hated the normal drive of the car till I figured it out....

must ask Daz to mention it in a video as I searched the net for two weeks on why I was getting turbo lag in my New N/A and got no responses😔

I always turn off stop/start which eliminates coasting. I hate the feeling of not getting any engine braking when you lift off, especially on motorways. Otherwise PDK suits my style most of the time.  

only experienced "coasting"/"sailing" mode on a couple of loaner 718 from OPC - have to say it suited my driving style for "normal" driving - different story when in sport mode - then it was all about pops and bangs on the overrun .

loved it.

I like the PDK box, it's fine in auto as long as you put it in sport.  You can quickly override the selected gear using the flappy paddles at anytime and it will hold it in manual mode for about 10 seconds before going back into auto for when you want a snap overtake.

Sports+ is a bit silly in auto and changes into 1st gear at every opportunity so always use that in manual.

What I don't get is every YouTube reviewer where the advice is get a manual.  The PDK box has an awesome manual option which allows you to change gear in a fraction of a second without taking your hands off the wheel.  There's no heavy clutch, you never fluff a gear change plus it has the posey throttle blip when changing down.  If you want to change up or down 2 or 3 gears, just pull the lever the corresponding times which is still quicker than a manual.  Nothing against manuals of course, I'd have had either but if you looking to buy, you find one with the correct spec but is PDK, why not?

14 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

Most important thing if and when I ever use Pdk in auto and normal mode is to switch off the start/stop.that disengages the bloody coast feature that almost stalls the engine so when on and off throttle on narrow back roads the car is constantly caught at to low revs,almost feels like turbo lag and I hated the normal drive of the car till I figured it out....

must ask Daz to mention it in a video as I searched the net for two weeks on why I was getting turbo lag in my New N/A and got no responses😔

I had the auto stop/start function reprogrammed to default to off.  I got fed up with getting to the end of the drive and the engine stopping even though I'd only driven 100 yards and it's stone cold.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

I had the auto stop/start function reprogrammed to default to off.  I got fed up with getting to the end of the drive and the engine stopping even though I'd only driven 100 yards and it's stone cold.

It shouldn't have done that, missing off the list below is if the battery has low charge:

Preconditions for stopping the engine automatically

Auto Start Stop function is switched on.
Driver detected: driver’s seat belt fastened and driver’s door closed.                                                                                                                                                                              PDK selector lever in the D, N or P position, or to manually selected gear 1 or 2, or move gear lever to neutral without pressing the clutch pedal.
Engine, transmission and battery are at operating temperature.
Vehicle driven at a speed of more than approx. 2 km/h (1 mph) for at least 1.5 seconds since the engine last stopped automatically.

Oh, here it is with some more:

When “Sport” or “Sport Plus” mode is activated.
When PSM is off.
In Manoeuvring mode.
When A/C MAX mode is activated.
When the “Windscreen defrost” function is active.
At altitudes of more than approx. 3,000 metres.
After engaging a gear without actuating the clutch during automatic stopping of the engine.
The Auto Start Stop function is available with limited functionality in the following situations, e.g.:

If the air conditioning or passenger compartment heating is operated at a high setting or if the defrost function is run for long time periods.
If the battery charging condition is low.
On upward or downward slopes.
During internal vehicle test procedures, e.g. automatic engine checks.
In the case of excessively low exterior or battery temperature.

Hi, Cruise in normal, drive in sport... For motorway work and cruising about normal is fine. But as the other posts have mentioned it does quite quickly pick up on how you are driving. If you overtake a bit tentatively it occasionally can be a bit sluggish though...but that's what the paddles are for.

I had to be told, but a quick dab on the throttle and the box will drop to the lowest gear in anticipation...so you shouldn't be caught short..

On 8/19/2020 at 8:11 PM, alank said:

Why don't you want it in the highest gear it will pull? That saves wear and tear, noise and fuel. Rather a win win win situation.

Porsche designed it with different modes and as above if you want it to maximise economy then leave it, the eco mode is one of the reasons we pay less road tax than the manual cars. If you want it to hold the gears a bit longer then press the sport button. 

Pdk isn't a slush box with a torque converter it's an automated double clutch geabox don't think of it as the former.

I think the PDK modes are great to be honest.   I use normal/auto mode mode a lot as the car is a daily driver and just tootling about it’s fine, it does make small throttle adjustments easier which is what you want. Obviously though if you suddenly want to overtake then it will seem sluggish, you need to learn a bit what is required on the accelerator to either kick down to where you want or hold gears to where you want.  I recall reading somewhere that there were at least 12 different maps that it switches between as you drive depending on driving style.  

I rarely use ‘sport’ in auto mode as I will usually be in manual mode when in sport, I just enjoy this interaction more. 

Archived