987 easy fit bucket seats?

Rich_Machin

Hi, I fancy putting some bucket seats into my 987....

Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Ideally I would just want something that is a direct bolt in job... it looks like these ones (with the mentioned adapter plate) do just that... has anyone get any experience with them, or have any other recommendations?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod141822/Track-Bucket-Sports-Seat---DTX-RECLINE_2_2/

Had to do this on my original seats as i had an intermittent airbag fault.

IIRC 3.3 ohm resistor is whats needed to stop the airbag fault light for the seat Thorax airbag.

The resistor needs to go across pins 16 and 17 on the Yellow connector TSX16 that is under the seat.

Disconnect the battery before messing with the seats etc. and be careful!

image.thumb.png.bec7c13322eca1b13a62562d214717fd.png

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rich_Machin said:

Does anyone know if the following will bolt (and connect electrically) straight into a 987 (gen1), without any mods?

• 986 Sports Seats

• 996 Sports Seats

• 997 Sports Seats 

(i.e. are all bolt patterns and electrical plugs the same?)

These are not buckets. People complain about the 986 seats but rarely the 987 seats. I'm sure you could fit the 996 or 997 GT3 seats but they are very expensive. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

There are folding buckets from 9x7 gen car like you have linked to. They are probably your best bet. 

I agree, straight out of a 987 would obviously fit... my question was whether similar ones from the 986, 996, or 997 also fit; since that would open up my buying options, 😊

As said, the seats in the 997 and the 'sports seats' in the 987 look to be identical. Given that the cars are pretty much the same as far back as the B pillar then I'd expect them to be identical and therefore a straight swap. 

I have the sports seats in my 987.1 Cayman and they are good but not excellent (the seats in my 944 are better IMHO). Are the standard 987 seats significantly much worse? 

The only real problem with the 987 seats (it is a significant one though) is a lack of lateral support. They don't exactly hold you in place. I have had Recaro seats in a number of Honda Type Rs and in comparison the 987 standard seats are very poor. 

From comments on here and elsewhere those who have tried the Porsche sports seat vs the standard say that the sports are much better. As a retro fit option they tend to be very expensive when they come up on Ebay. Decent Sparco or Recaro seats are usually a bit cheaper but as the OPs question highlights information (on this forum at least) on replacement is a bit sparse.

You can make most things fit with appropriate runners. The 9*6 seats though won't have any airbag connectors whereas I understand the 9*7 ones do. Go aftermarket and you will have the same issue anyway. 

1 hour ago, Bravestarr said:

The only real problem with the 987 seats (it is a significant one though) is a lack of lateral support.

I think I must be one of the only members on here that is actually happy with the 997.1 standard seats.  They seem to offer plenty of support, and are really comfortable for me. I admit I'm fairly big-boned (100kg), so maybe my lardy bum just fits the seat better than a slimmer person, but I haven't had any problems at all.  I'm also only 5'8" so no worries about leg and head room either.

On a separate note, I also don't understand everyone's obsession with the headlights, and their lack of brightness.  They seem fine to me as well.  There, I said it... :lol:

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

think I must be one of the only members on here that is actually happy with the 987.1 standard seats.  They seem to offer plenty of support, and are really comfortable for me.

I agree. Bit lighter than you but i do have a dodgy back so good support is a must.

I’ve had both sports seats (997 & 987) and the comfort seats (987). I’m on the lighter and shorter side and find the comfort seat more.... comfortable 😀.
The sports seats provide more restraint around the upper body. The bolsters on the base are deeper but that didn’t make much of a difference. Other than when getting in/out.
My main beef with both is lack of lumbar adjustment which seemed more significant on the sports seats just because I was more ‘locked in’. Having said that I was doing regular 4-5 hour journeys in the sports seats. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:19 AM, Deano37 said:

Had to do this on my original seats as i had an intermittent airbag fault.

IIRC 3.3 ohm resistor is whats needed to stop the airbag fault light for the seat Thorax airbag.

The resistor needs to go across pins 16 and 17 on the Yellow connector TSX16 that is under the seat.

Disconnect the battery before messing with the seats etc. and be careful!

image.thumb.png.bec7c13322eca1b13a62562d214717fd.png

OK, I'm going to give this a go.....  Do you know what type/size of connector I will need to connect to the pins in the TSX16 plug?  I presume I will need something like this: TE CONNECTIVITY / AMP - 1586317-1 - CONTACT SOCKET, 26-22AWG,Price For: 10 | eBay  ???

Cheers!

On 10/16/2020 at 12:10 PM, Davey P said:

I think I must be one of the only members on here that is actually happy with the 997.1 standard seats.  They seem to offer plenty of support, and are really comfortable for me. I admit I'm fairly big-boned (100kg), so maybe my lardy bum just fits the seat better than a slimmer person, but I haven't had any problems at all.  I'm also only 5'8" so no worries about leg and head room either.

On a separate note, I also don't understand everyone's obsession with the headlights, and their lack of brightness.  They seem fine to me as well.  There, I said it... :lol:

On 10/16/2020 at 12:37 PM, Lennym1984 said:

You must have eaten a lot of carrots as a child!

At 5'8" and 100kg it wasn't only carrots he ate a lot of!

I'm 5'11" in slippers and 72kg. I don't usually drive mine long distances but I bought it in Frankfurt and drove it back to Lisbon.  To my knowledge my seats are normal 987, not Sports, and they were fine for 6+ hours per day on the motorway.  True that I don't use its cornering ability much, so maybe at that point I'd slide around a bit.  Though even then my car's alcântara seat centres will be grippier than the usual polished leather that most of you have.

• Haha 1