Where do you put your phone?

Rooose

Looking to find out where/how people mount their phone in the 981.

I am considering a Brodit pro mount for the console but I am fearful it will damage/mark the leather. Anyone tried these?

I also don't want to be sticking things to the dash or window ideally.

I have a vent mount, but i find this isn't up to spirited driving and has flown off a couple of times.

If there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Not used brodit in a 981 but have in a few other cars now and they are well designed for the specific car and haven't in my experience caused any damage. I don't see any reason why the 981 design would be any less effective. 

54 minutes ago, Carmine said:

https://www.rennline.com/Porsche-991_981_718-ExactFit-Magnetic-Phone-Mount-Dash-Mount/productinfo/PM01.04/

have removed and reinstalled it a couple of time when the car’s gone in for servicing - even knowing it was there I can find no trace of it.

That’s neat. Who supplies these in the UK?

The Brodits fit well as people say but the postion is not to everyones liking being rather low and to the left in the car on a 987, think 981 is similar. I have a vent mount that grips the vane tightly with a screw fitting. It does require a little experimentation to fit in such a way so it is secure in all circumstances. Think my mount came from Halfords, cheap as chips, magnetic holder for the phone. IIRC @tony_zx9r has a secure well priced vent mount in his 981 after much experimentation.

I have one of the Rennline mounts. I think my wife go it from Design-911 in the uk. It is easy to fit. Unfortunately I have an i-phone 7+ which is a big phone and this means when the bracket is set in the higher position , the phone covers too much of the PCM screen. It would work better if u had the normal smaller i-phone.

As Bob said , i switched to an x-mount that fits to the vent. This is better positioned but wobbles more than i would like.

the Rennline mount cost about £45 but if you want one, PM me , you can have mine for much less 🙂

The Brodit mount is similar to the one in the 987.2 and doesn't mark the leather. It sits quite low, but angled up towards the driver. Not an issue for me as i use the apple car play/android auto on the headunit. 

tried lots of mounts before the brodit. 

screen suckers get in the way of my view ahead. 

vent mounts wobble about and distract

Brodit is great with a strong magnet. the phone doesn't move at all

Another thumbs up for the Brodit from me:

20191221_115015

Looks a bit clumsy from the passenger's side (shown above) but from the driver's seat it is quite discreet:

20191221_114958

My phone has got 2 magnets on the inside of the case, so I can position it wherever I want, and it holds the phone really firmly:

20191221_114947

I know mine is a 987, but I'd guess Brodit would do a similar design for the 981 :thumbsup_anim:

Here is the Rennline item fitted to my car...........its the perfect solution for me ie:

- from a well known quality manufacturer

- it looks as discrete / OEM as you can get

- it is fully reversible without leaving any marks and yet very robust when fitted

- I use it with a large screen Samsung S10 5G with no problems

- it is located where the phone can easily be plugged in without any obvious trailing wires (ie the footwell power outlet with wire tucked under trim)

I’m more than happy with the solution....

nb In other cars / hire cars I use the vent magnet types, they do a job but on most cars move around too much ie the vents they attached to are designed to move so the magnet does / you block the vents / wires are trailing which my OCD objects to 😉

I5cErp7.jpg

I like the style of the Rennline but the ridiculous price put me off, I made up my own bracket and bought a ball from ebay and saved £40

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up on this - @tony_zx9r kindly sold me his Rennline mount.

Have had it installed for a week or so and I am very pleased with it. I can see how a really big phone might get in the way of the screen but for my Samsung Galaxy it is perfect. Really nice discreet fit and super solid base - the phone now stays exactly where you put it and it's no longer flying off when on spirited runs.

A thumbs up from me for the Rennline mount!

Archived